Van Compass Ford Transit Build - 1 TON 4x4 conversion

86scotty

Cynic
@VanCompass, I see you have that aftermarket high mount brake light/camera. I'm guessing it's the one I've seen on Amazon. Can you tell me what monitor you used with it? I'm hoping against hope that the low factory camera cable could be rerouted up there but I'm betting it isn't compatible.

Thanks

Van Compass

Observer
@VanCompass, I see you have that aftermarket high mount brake light/camera. I'm guessing it's the one I've seen on Amazon. Can you tell me what monitor you used with it? I'm hoping against hope that the low factory camera cable could be rerouted up there but I'm betting it isn't compatible.

Thanks

Rear view safety camera. Have had it for over a year. My van did not come with a factory camera. I have it wired to turn on when the vehicle is running. Works really well. I use it as my rear view mirror since the back windows are typicalled covered by my bed or gear. Super clear image day and works well in low light. Worth the $$ spent.

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/back...MIor3S5uXY2QIVAalpCh3MSwIqEAQYAiABEgJpp_D_BwE

I had to buy a longer cable from the camera to the power box. I mounted the powder box under driver seat. The included cable was not long enough to reach the rear view mirror mounting of the mointior.
https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safe...ccessories/camera-cables/33-camera-cable.html

Van Compass

Observer
Headliner lights wired and 3 100amp/hr batteries mounted in storage box.

Parts arrived from laser cutting for my folding platform bed. Hopefully we get that mounted this week and sent to powder coating.

Attachments

• IMG_6155.jpg
    IMG_6155.jpg
    518.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_6156.jpg
    IMG_6156.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 158

Van Compass

Observer
Made some progress on the battery system. Solar is wired and charging. Alternator charging to come next.

190 watt panel, Midnite Solar MPPT charge controller, 3 universal Battery AGMs.

Attachments

• IMG_6222.jpg
    IMG_6222.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 110

Van Compass

Observer
Folding bed system

We welded in the side brackets on this folding system and got it all assembled.

The crossbars are 1" 6061 bar
1/8" 5052 Panels
3/16" steel side plates

The entire system weighs 164lbs.

Bed is 76" long, sits 40.5" off the floor and I still have 32" to the headliner for sleeping up top. The crossbars store in the side bracket gusset hooks.

Attachments

• IMG_6232.jpg
    IMG_6232.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_6229.jpg
    IMG_6229.jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_6224.jpg
    IMG_6224.jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_6223.jpg
    IMG_6223.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_6236.jpg
    IMG_6236.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 210

Wish41

It looks like you won't have any room for upper cabinets, which would not be something I would want to lose.

Van Compass

Observer
It looks like you won't have any room for upper cabinets, which would not be something I would want to lose.

Correct, but I don't want upper cabinets and weight stored at the top of my tall van.

The platform could be dropped down to make room for uppers cabinets. I have plans for fender box storage in a few weeks.

Van Compass

Observer
Looks great, is there room for the mattress between the bed and the wall?

A 4" thick queen sized mattress cut in half will allow the panels to flip up. The pads will stand vertically on the blue brackets that have a 4" ledge. The pads will have to be pulled forward slightly to clear the rear pillars to get the panels to 90 degrees.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
A 4" thick queen sized mattress cut in half will allow the panels to flip up. The pads will stand vertically on the blue brackets that have a 4" ledge. The pads will have to be pulled forward slightly to clear the rear pillars to get the panels to 90 degrees.

Nice, I have considered a similar approach.
Is it noisy? seems like the loose fitting pockets for the horizontal bars and the "pinging" and "gonging" of the huge steel sheet panels could get chaotic. Having a mattress on it or cinched against the sides is enough maybe?

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Nice, I have considered a similar approach.
Is it noisy? seems like the loose fitting pockets for the horizontal bars and the "pinging" and "gonging" of the huge steel sheet panels could get chaotic. Having a mattress on it or cinched against the sides is enough maybe?

Nothing that a little gasket foam wouln’t take care of I’d think.

Van Compass

Observer
I trimmed up the factory plastic panels to fit around the bed brackets and headliner. Modified the foam upper headliner bits to fit back in place. I'm pretty happy with the results so far. Super light and easy to remove the wall panels when needed. Can wipe them down when the van gets dirty and they did not cost anything.

A wood subfloor was added over the rubber floor and LVP flooring installed. I wanted to use the rubber floor only, but the wife convinced me to add in the floor. Looks much more finished now.

Attachments

• IMG_6363.JPG
    IMG_6363.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_6364.JPG
    IMG_6364.JPG
    744.8 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_6365.JPG
    IMG_6365.JPG
    956.2 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_6366.JPG
    IMG_6366.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 182

Van Compass

Observer
Prototype winch bumper with 2" receiver hitch. The unit ties back into the engine cross member bolts and a hole in the frame rail to add strength for pulling out a stuck van.

A skid plate is coming in that will attach to the bumper and run under the intercooler, piping and oil pan.

Attachments

• IMG_4933 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4933 (Medium).JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_4932 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4932 (Medium).JPG
    203 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_4931 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4931 (Medium).JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_4897 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4897 (Medium).JPG