Head Gasket replacement on a FG637EW6 Canter with a 4d33 engine

seangrips

Ive searched the forum and can't find any links to anyone who may have done this while the engine was still in the truck.

Coming home from the beach on New Years eve, 20km run, all year long Ive been doing weekly runs from Tweed to Brisbane without any problems, and then the last hill, I lost 50% of power, and started blowing black smoke out of the Exhaust like a Russian Tank, and Grey smoke pouring out the Tappet Cover. No oil warning, water temp gauge normal.
Crept into my driveway and ran for a hose, lifted the seat then sat and waited for all the smoke off the engine to stop. when it was cool checked the oil, it was still there and black as normal, radiator was down and inch or 2.

Got advise to do a compression check, but if you cant find someone with a Mitsubishi MH061560 adapter, your up for a $499 Diesel compression test kit. Money best spent on parts instead.

So 'Off with her Head'

Not the worlds best office inside the non tilting Cab. Build a plank system around the Cab to gain some height, then remove Front seats and rear engine cover, just to gain more access.
IMG_4261.jpg
IMG_1267.jpeg
IMG_1269.jpeg

Looking for advice as the Head Gasket both Bretts (http://www.brettstruck.com.au/p/440...-1995-2005-fe657-4d33-4a-1995-2005-fg637.html) and Zupps Gold Coast are quoting is part number ME013334, but the one I've taken out is a ME013336C

IMG_9037A.jpg

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference an,
Has anyone done a Head Gasket and have a list of Gaskets they replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_9037.jpg
    IMG_9037.jpg
    577.9 KB · Views: 9

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I would say without doing any research the one you have is old number and they have new number. Usually if you search the numbers both ways they will cross reference. Leave it to you to try and let us know.
Now where is the picture of the problem with the old gasket.

Dan.

seangrips

Thanks Aussie Iron for your thoughts.
Was a little confused as if numbers were sequential, my number would've have bee released after theirs.
But makes sense if both companies list the same number.

I was hoping for signs on the old head gasket but doesn't appear to be any,
except for discolouration between pots 2 & 3, but alas not the typical broken gasket.
IMG_1274.jpeg
IMG_1272.jpeg
IMG_1273.jpeg

I'll send the head down to Tweed tomorrow with a set of Valve seals to get it ground and valves reseated.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Don't forget to put a straight edge across the block in a few different places and angles to see if the block is faulty. Not normally but you are this far.

Dan.

HazMan

Observer
Do you know that you can tilt the cab?

It's secured by 4 bolts, 2 behind cab and 2 in the "wall" (at your feet if you're sitting in the back seat section). The hinges and all associated linkages etc are already installed to tilt the cab. You just need to rig up something to hoist up the heavy dual cab and secure it so it won't fall on you!

seangrips

Yup, took a while to get the rest of the parts and injectors reconditioned.
I have had it back on the road for the last 2 weeks. Clocked up 2000k's. Was hoping for a decent increase in power now that it had a new gasket and injectors. But it still seems to be the same old tired engine. It is a lot quieter with the tappets adjusted and getting slightly better fuel economy.

seangrips

Over the years, I've added so much electrical to the cab, I never allowed enough loop to tile the cab. Would be so much easier if they had built a cab lift to these trucks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles