OPINION: Single or dual ARB compressor

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
A friend works at ARB in Australia and asked if I have the single or dual in my Africa Jeep.

He was happy to hear I have the single (which I love) - they get a lot of the duals in for repair.

I regularly air up my 34x10.5r17 KO2s, and have even aired up a friends 37s a few times. Never a problem.

-Dan

hoser

Explorer
Would be interesting to test the two... as the Twin compressor has a cooling fan and would be running half as long as the single.

SnowedIn

Observer
I wonder if more people who buy the dual unit and actually use it, use it on bigger tires and give it a real workout.

I have the single portable unit and it seems about perfect for stock size tires (31-32"). It seems to work 2-3 times faster than my old cheapo MV-50 and doesn't get absurdly hot in hot weather.

coledudley

Observer
I originally used the single (CKMA12) and recently replaced it with the twin (CKMTA12). I wish I'd ponied up for the twin to begin with. I really just use it for airing up tires and I was tired of spending an entire duty cycle airing up my tires. I can't speak to the longevity, yet. I've also been able to seat a bead with the twin but was unable to do so with the single.

On a related note, if you have the space and budget also look at the Extreme Outback compressors. I'd have gone that direction if I had the space.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
My dual ARB w/ the tank in the plastic case hasn't run hot yet when airing up 4 BFG KM2 from 14PSI to 38PSI.
Even ARB says the duals run hot, and they get a lot more warranty calls about the duals than they do about the singles. This info from a discussion I personally had with ARB tech support.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I picked up the portable single. I haven't had the chance to use it other than just trying it out but it should suit my purposes just fine.

hoser

Explorer
@Ducky's Dad, You can't really come to a conclusion by comparing the sheer # of REPAIRS without also comparing the # of SALES. ARB's literature rates the single at 50% duty cycle and the twin at 100% duty cycle (tested at the same ambient temp).

The article you referenced said the twin ran hotter:
ARB twin compressor-- 115 degree *C measured head temperature (run time not stated)
ARB single compressor-- 130 degree *C measured head temperature (run time not stated)

Now, that test was done with the portable version. If mounting the compressors under the hood, the twin will likely have less air space around it. And the majority of folks that buy the twin are probably airing up larger tires than those who buy the single.

I actually purchased two single ARB compressors due to space constraints.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
@Ducky's Dad, You can't really come to a conclusion by comparing the sheer # of REPAIRS without also comparing the # of SALES. ARB's literature rates the single at 50% duty cycle and the twin at 100% duty cycle (tested at the same ambient temp).
I'm not coming to any conclusions. I am reporting what I was told by an actual ARB tech support employee. Their hardware, their repair and failure statistics, their conclusions that the twins run hotter and thus are somewhat more prone to failure regardless of numbers sold. Twins may be used harder, maybe not. I don't care because I have a bigass Warn compressor, two Viairs, an ARB single, a Husky, and a couple of Chinese knockoffs, all 12V. Plus a bunch of line voltage compressors, including Matco 60gal, four Craftsman 30-33gals, a Makita hot dog, a Hitachi twin hot dog, a Bostich pancake, and probably some other that I forget. My compressor needs are covered.

67cj5

Man On a Mission

The article you referenced said the twin ran hotter:
ARB twin compressor-- 115 degree *C measured head temperature (run time not stated)
ARB single compressor-- 130 degree *C measured head temperature (run time not stated)

Now, that test was done with the portable version. If mounting the compressors under the hood, the twin will likely have less air space around it. And the majority of folks that buy the twin are probably airing up larger tires than those who buy the single.

I actually purchased two single ARB compressors due to space constraints.
I Actually Own both of the portable models and the Single Portable gets about 3X hotter than the Twin Portable, I think most of those Twin models that went in for repair would be from being mounted under the Hood where are being subjected to Engine Heat build up or from people trying to show off by Airing a dozen or more vehicles at a time all with monster Tyres, Nothing Beats the ARB Twin with the Tank and I can Air Up all 4 Tyres and still keep my hand on the Compressors,

The Twin will Air Up most 4x4 standard Tyres in under 30 Seconds and it will Air Up 37x12.5x17's from 15 psi to 35 psi in under 90 seconds, Under six minutes to Air Up 4x 37" Tyres pretty Epic when you consider that is from a 12v unit,

RoyJ

Adventurer
I can't see how the twin would run hotter, as it's essentially 2 singles together, but with a cooling fan added. Given similar operating conditions of course.

If you put the twin in the engine bay, air up 37 to 40s back to back, and only use the single to air up 30 to 33s, in open air, then obviously it'll run cooler!

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I can't see how the twin would run hotter, as it's essentially 2 singles together, but with a cooling fan added. Given similar operating conditions of course.

If you put the twin in the engine bay, air up 37 to 40s back to back, and only use the single to air up 30 to 33s, in open air, then obviously it'll run cooler!
The Twin DOES NOT run Hotter Unless some one tries to push it to it's limits which is quite a lot, If Someone has an ARB Twin that over heats then it is due to where it is mounted or down to using the incorrect wire size or how it has been wired in or just plain old fashioned abuse.

Here is a Compressor Shootout done in Australia by MARK ALLEN and he works for 4x4 Australia Magazine and he is a Member Here on THIS Forum, His Reviews are Legendry Regarding His Compressor, Fridge and Winch Testing I would Trust Mark Allan's Word over all others, 99% of negative comments about ARB's products are made by those who won't spend the Money so their only option is to moan about it.

Hope this helps.

Here is Mark's 4x4 Australia Video. ENJOY.

Here is Marks 4x4 Australia Compressor Shootout.
https://www.whichcar.com.au/gear/electronics-gadgets/12-volt-air-compressor-comparison

Also check out this link because it has many facts and figures regarding Temps and Run Time and different tyre sizes, but be sure to check out Mark's links.
https://www.toughtoys.com.au/media/commerce_products/14/4WD169-036-054-FEATURE-air_2.pdf

Here is a Video of the ARB Twin Portable with the Case and Tank Inflating a 37x12.5x17 Tyre from 15psi to 35psi in under 90 seconds.

Last edited:

SnowedIn

Observer
There are a lot of people running around overtaxing their little MV-50 compressors and doing fairly OK with them (they're easy to fix on the trail. I've done it myself a couple of times).

The ARB single compressor in the gray box is quite a bit better than the MV-50 and copies, I would not hesitate to use it for 31-32" tires at all. I think I paid ~$280 USD for mine, though, the retail price I'm seeing now of ~$350 USD makes them a much less attractive proposition.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
There are a lot of people running around overtaxing their little MV-50 compressors and doing fairly OK with them (they're easy to fix on the trail. I've done it myself a couple of times).

The ARB single compressor in the gray box is quite a bit better than the MV-50 and copies, I would not hesitate to use it for 31-32" tires at all. I think I paid ~$280 USD for mine, though, the retail price I'm seeing now of ~$350 USD makes them a much less attractive proposition.
The Twin is fun to use and an awesome piece of kit for bigger Tyres or if you want to get the job done quickly or need to run tools but on normal 4x4 tyres I tend to use the ARB single in the Grey Box about 99% of the time, It's just a good Set up, I have at leased 2 sets of their Gauges too and 2 Blue Inflators and the Digital one as well.,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles