Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ford Transit - White Turtle III

How the F do you sleep sideways like that???

To be honest I always thought the newer vans looked goofy, but I'm coming around.

Yours looks good. Looking forward to seeing more.

Southern Alberta - or where the truck is parked
    Quote Originally Posted by KYC View Post
    How the F do you sleep sideways like that???

To be honest I always thought the newer vans looked goofy, but I'm coming around.

Yours looks good. Looking forward to seeing more.
    I am height challenged and would take offense to that comment if I could reach it

I can sleep side to side but it is tight so I sleep on a little bit of an angle, that also allows room for the dog
    2017 Ford Transit MR, 2011 Majestic 19G & EVO electric bike

Paterson Photography Ltd. offering photography workshops, classes, expeditions and adventures around the world.
    Take time to learn how to operate your digital camera so you can get the best images possible!

http://www.firstchoicephoto.ca

Nice build so far. How is the gas mileage around town and on the highway? I have an aging 02 Suburban and need to decide on a replacement. I don't need a 4WD Sportsmobile and simply want a big enough vehicle to take our 3 kids and dog on the road, a high top Transit looks like a good option. I would be interested in bigger tires though, what size did you go with?

I haven't really priced them out but I would need seating for 3 or 4 in the rear, so a passenger version may be the better option for us.
    Derek (formerly drbrown)

2002 Suburban 4x4 "Base Camp"

Quote Originally Posted by bald.eagle View Post
    Nice build so far. How is the gas mileage around town and on the highway? I have an aging 02 Suburban and need to decide on a replacement. I don't need a 4WD Sportsmobile and simply want a big enough vehicle to take our 3 kids and dog on the road, a high top Transit looks like a good option. I would be interested in bigger tires though, what size did you go with?

I haven't really priced them out but I would need seating for 3 or 4 in the rear, so a passenger version may be the better option for us.
    I have not done a good calculation on MPG as it has been so cold that most of the run time is idling time, I actually have been trying to drive it just to keep things charged and exercised while building. The on board is saying 15L/100k but like I say it idles more than driving right now.

I went with T/A 235/70R16. I know you can go larger but that creates a number of other challenges (tighter clearance, incorrect speedo, etc) and honestly I do not need anything huge. One thing that I am VERY happy with is the stock ground clearance it has, not a 4x4 clearance but for my needs very nice.

I debated going with the passenger model as I cannot take my wife and son in it without adding a third seat but really did not want all the windows for security and warmth. Plus my son is 14 so more than likely in a couple years he won't want to be seen with dad anyways

Paterson Photography Ltd. offering photography workshops, classes, expeditions and adventures around the world.
    Take time to learn how to operate your digital camera so you can get the best images possible!

Well the weather was nicer but still not ideal. Was around -20 yesterday and was suppose to get to +4 by this morning but that did not happen as the winds blowing in the warmer air stopped 10 minutes to the west. Still got a number of things done - managed to get the underlay and carpet installed and built a platform for the porta potti. Was going to just set a board on the floor and put lino on it but then thought that setting it on 2x2 would be nice as it would raise it up a little higher and I could use the space under it to run any power lines if I wanted to. I left about 3 inches by 1.5 inches open for that.

Glued the lino on and clamped it so it wraps around the front, love having space to do stuff like this and leave it overnight!!!

Road block day Got the lino trimmed for the bathroom floor and the floor dropped in and that was it.

I need to make a bathroom door and was trying to decide all day how to do it. Would prefer to buy something premade but size not anywhere close to standard so that is out. Came up with a game plan and now I need it to warm up a lot more before I can build it and install as I will need to pull the two walls to do it.

Also finally made a decision on the fridge, going to go with a Dometic CRX80 if they can get them in Canada, if not the CRX65 so will order that tomorrow, one of the suppliers said the 80's were not available but will check.

Electric is on hold at this time as running wires and hooking things up in the cold not my idea of a good time. I may have to make a road trip to my brother's as he is an electrician and he has large shops to work in, only problem is they are 9 hours away.

Mike, may I suggest that, for the bathroom door, you make sure that when travelling it's firmly attached and snug. These big doors tend to pop open while driving and do lots of squeaking noise when traveling down the road. With that in mind I'm sure you can make sure you get those annoyances under control!

Personally, if I were starting with a blank slate like you, I would use a "chest type" fridge as gravity will make sure nothing falls out. Plus, I busted a few plastic shelves in the door just from bumpy roads.

Your build is looking awesome! I'm really enjoying following along!
    Currently building Gandalf (1998 Roadtrek Versatile 200 2WD)

Quote Originally Posted by Mat Mobile View Post
    Mike, may I suggest that, for the bathroom door, you make sure that when travelling it's firmly attached and snug. These big doors tend to pop open while driving and do lots of squeaking noise when traveling down the road. With that in mind I'm sure you can make sure you get those annoyances under control!

Personally, if I were starting with a blank slate like you, I would use a "chest type" fridge as gravity will make sure nothing falls out. Plus, I busted a few plastic shelves in the door just from bumpy roads.

Your build is looking awesome! I'm really enjoying following along!
    Believe me I am anti noise!!!! Nothing worse than 8 hours of driving listening to squeak squeak all the way - actually I usually pull over after 5 minutes and start looking for noises. I am thinking of two magnetic latches one on the top and one on the bottom.

I was all set for a chest cooler but the proportions are too big for what I want. The upright uses the height that I have as opposed to floor space that I do not have. I wanted the chest also so I could use in other vehicles but oh well.

Well the weather warmed up just in time for me to get out on Friday and do some work. Earlier on the week I went looking for a door for the bathroom last week and all the ones that I found were $400 plus or way to heavy so I picked up some knotty pine and used some left over Baltic Birch to make a door and a door handle.

Got the door rough installed, I think I want to drop it down a little. Only used a couple screws to try it so one screw hole lower should be good. Installed the handle and two magnetic latches to keep closed.

Also got 110v power run. Bought a heavy duty extension cord, ran the male end out the back left plastic hatch using a friction fitting in the plastic, came up to a receptacle box under the bed with a GFI plug. Then ran more of the cord from a plug at the GFI around the to the right front of the bed and put a plug there. Only thing I am not sure about is will I keep the GFI as if I am at someones house that already has a GFI it will trip theirs. This gives me a extra plug under the bed if I should want to run a line to a 12V charger or add a plug up front for shore power.

Cord entering van left rear

This shows the wire after coming out of the rear pillar (through a rubber grommet) and into the rear plug which is GFI.

The wire goes along the wood bed support to keep it out of the way and to the plug that is at the front / under the bed.

Very nice work. Thanks for sharing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12