Military Field Desk Jeep JK Cargo Drawer System

ArmyofMike

I have been mulling around the idea of a drawer system vs. boxes/trunks for my cargo area of my Jeep. I wanted something that was modular, could be removed, but also allowed for space behind and for my ice chest next to the drawer or box system. I had an epiphany the other day while looking online at an old Military Field Desk that it may make a good organization system. I did more research and the dimension of the field box were PERFECT for what I was looking for. Low and behold, I found one that was in disrepair for a song and got it from a local offroader.

I am fixing one of the drawers currently (why it is missing from some of the pics), but the rest of the box, I cleaned, and wiped with an excessive amount of oil soap. I really like that it is weathered, beat up a bit and unique. It is perfect for what I wanted.

I will update pics with how it looks once the drawer is fixed and I add some gear. I also plan to use some felt or pads to quiet the drawer slides (although, it barely makes a sound as is surprisingly.) I may also affix a flat board to the top that runs the width of my cargo area so I can put more items on top of the box. I also plan to use bungee webbing to run vertically on the drawers to keep them closed when off-roading. The box will be tied down to the cargo area using the handles on the box and tie down straps so I can remove as needed.

I plan to fill the box with camping supplies, cooking supplies and other items I don't want to get dirty on the outside of my jeep or in my trailer. This will be great for the Death Valley Trip I am planning through OB in March.

The box/drawers, there are seven total:
igdJkbU.jpg

Sides with handle and mounting points:
a2cwFaz.jpg

Desk attached to box. The desk itself becomes a lid/closure on the box:
ciJH3Ld.jpg

Inside the Jeep Cargo Area:
mHWEQzg.jpg

Becomes a great Cook area with my tailgate table (I made) and if I use my Olympian Camp Kitchen next to the Jeep.
PgOwYzA.jpg

Plenty of room behind box and rear seats for more gear:
fUaWVv6.jpg

The nostalgia of the box is awesome and unique, I think one of the reasons I like it so much. It still has the original lettering on the drawers:
r3tgcmr.jpg

They are deep and can be removed on the bottom if I just want to put gear into the chest without the drawers:
NTlQ5hG.jpg

There are newer styles of the field desks that you can find online, that have plastic drawers, however, I liked the look of the wood and the availability of this one sealed the deal for me.

ArmyofMike

That's pretty neat. Nice find.

Thanks,

I've been going back and forth between a drawer system, or trunk boxes. I wanted something though that was modular and removable. I have been looking and scheming for months on what to do and I think my biggest achievement is I will be able to sleep at night now, not thinking so much about what I can do in my cargo area! HAHA. ....although now, I will be up thinking how to configure this desk box. :wings:

GHI

Adventurer
I just bought a 2018 JKUR so I'll be perusing all the Jeep related threads here for ideas. I'm sure I have a few sleepless nights ahead of me.

tarditi

Explorer
great idea! BTW - rub a candle on the rails for smooth drawer sliding. Pro-tip from someone who lives in an old house with occasionally sticky wooden doors :)

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
How much better can it get than having that in your Jeep! :victory:
Add a couple of Field Manuals for some great reading time. :drool:

Rumblefish_Pro

Observer
The plastic version is Heavy!, and there is lots of wasted space. I have one sitting in my garage right now, not sure if I would use that in the cargo area of my Jeep. Use what works best for you, just giving some insight on this.

ArmyofMike

Thank you @Tarditi for the tip on the candle wax! I will do that!

I got mine for a song at $50 cause it needed some small repairs (already fixed). I have seen them for quite expensive prices online, but they can be had for lower prices if you search. Thanks @jscherb for the link to some that are lower price.

The weight says 78-83 depending on the website, however, I may or may not take the lid which lowers the weight by about 10-15lbs. The desk/trunk itself is very easy to pickup and move, although very sturdy and solid. I am very happy with it so far. I put some oil soap on the outside and inside and it looks very nice now. At 80#, this setup is still much less weight than most drawer systems. I also am planning to affix a board/shelf to the top that runs the width of my cargo area for more storage options on top. I will put tie down loops on the shelf for added organization and stability.

I have already driven for over 100mi on roads, dirt and highway with it in the back and I almost forget it's back there. The drawers are actually quite solid and once I fill them, even more so. I also plan to put some rubber matting at the bottom of the drawers for sound and vibration of items inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94