Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On the history of automotive-safety, and inside-the-cab modifications

I remember wheeling in my buddies '65 power wagon. We went straight up a short hill, then over and down the far side. Three of us in the cab, all had knots on our heads from banging the steel cab, and everything under the seat, was now on top of the dashboard!

Memories !!!
    JEEP The AR-15 of the automotive world

My '02 Sub Build / Collection Topic
    Vortec and GMT800 Mechanical Stuff
    Silnylon vehicle awning design - Mk1 DONE
    Some of my Woodworking

All these first-hand accounts are helping the realization sink in and I'm going to be far more careful about items in the cab, even small ones, loose and mounted. You guys seem to agree with the premise, but am I wrong that this safety consideration doesn't seemed to be discussed as much as roof loads or the storage of larger gear in the trunk? I suppose it makes sense because roof racks and drawer systems are a little more fun to geek out over than cup-holders...

Rayra, is that a safety cat? Ha, maybe a mascot will help spread the message!

Nope, just illustrating that the danger is all the distractions, rather than the array of hard objects. The cat is a paused DVD playback (5th Element). 3 radios, tablet, smartphone, dash cam. I'm more likely to die from an inadvertent head-on collision than by coming into contact with one the corners of all those objects.

I wouldn't be too worried about all the objects. Accident rates are very low.

/I'm more worried about smelling marijuana every time I get on the road around here, and that was long before it went legal here on the 1st. I wonder what the change in accident rate was in CO, if any?
    My '02 Sub Build / Collection Topic
    Vortec and GMT800 Mechanical Stuff
    Silnylon vehicle awning design - Mk1 DONE
    Some of my Woodworking

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12