AEV/Lance Combo

Spixelz

Adventurer
So the time as come to swap out the little Tacoma and build our Work Horse. A 2016 Ram 2500 SB with Cummins. I have already received my AEV lift. I would go the flat bad route, but we still actively use the bed of the truck for work on our property and need the ability to remove the camper fairly easily, Hence the reason with going to a Truck Camper. I've looked at most of the major brands and as fair as Hard sided campers go, Lance seems to be the best option. I also looked at 4wheel campers, but for the options and cost, Hard side still seems like a better route for something to get off the grid and be comfortable.*

The two Lance models I am considering is the 650 (wet weight 1900) and 825 (Wet Weight 2100).*

Its becoming clear that I will end up going over the GVWR of 10000 but just barely and I am aware this is a no, no but swapping to a 3500 is not an option. So has anyone ran a setup like this...How does it handle? Did you upgrade sway bars? Air bags to help level the load? Suggestions and Thoughts are appreciated.*

Spixelz

Adventurer
You might want to give CJC Offroad a ring. They do suspension upgrades to Rams everyday.
Very experienced owners there. Good guys. The limiting factor will be the rear coils if so equipped.
That 650 sure looks good.

http://www.cjcoffroad.com/2013-Carli-Dodge-Ram-2500-3500-Systems-s/1630.htm

Yeah we have the rear coils and I've actually already received the AEV Lift. Overall it seems like a solid setup for the type of travel we do while keeping the payload unaffected. Keeping weight down the 650 makes the most sense. I will give CJC a call and see what they have to say about this setup.

Darwin

Explorer
You will likely be over the GVWR like you said, but I think it's not going to be a "just barely" and more likely over by quite a bit unless you plan to not haul any water or much gear with you other than whats already inside the camper.

Not sure but maybe a helwig sway bar might not be a bad idea

Are you going to 37's?

Spixelz

Adventurer
You will likely be over the GVWR like you said, but I think it's not going to be a "just barely" and more likely over by quite a bit unless you plan to not haul any water or much gear with you other than whats already inside the camper.

Not sure but maybe a helwig sway bar might not be a bad idea

Are you going to 37's?

Ideally I plan to travel with empty tanks and no jacks whenever possible, We are use to traveling pretty light. We camped in a Tacoma (Which has a terrible GVWR) with a RTT for a long time. Obviously I want to stay as light as possible, but it seems 90% of people with truck campers tend go over their GVWR.

I figure the sway bar and airbags wont hurt any thing and help stabilize the load offroad.

Yeah I plan to run 37s.

c7train

Observer
I run that exact setup. I have an 03 SB cummins 6 speed manual (purchased off this site) and a 2014 Lance 825. We have probably 100 nights in it since we got it in 2016. I had a thread surrounding this exact question and the remarks were all very helpful. I put airbags, a sway bar, 5100's and called it good. I run 10 ply tires, and pay attention to my stopping distance. Honestly it handles just fine. It's a little tree-toppy feeling at slow speed, but that could be remedied with better shocks and a few other things.

EDIT: It's not an AEV, but I wish it was hahah!

Overall I think you'll be fine. Hope this helps!

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/168157-Lance-825-on-3-4-ton-truck

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/168156-Dodge-2500-truck-camper-questions

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles