GM Passenger Van Camper Conversion Q&A

Len.Barron

Observer
Vandecamp have you decided on your Aux electrical system yet? I do a bunch of remote desert work and have had a solar, dual batt, fridge setup for quite a few years in my truck. Having way more electrical power than you need with happy charged batteries is an amazing feeling!
You should consider the dual alternator approach, having a true "second system" makes for a much easier, more reliable design.

mapper

Explorer
Keep us posted on the airbag issue. I'm currently trying to decide between a high roof econoline, high roof sprinter and an awd chevy. I really want the awd chevy but also really want a high roof. I'd like to keep the curtain airbags if at all possible because they are known for helping keep people inside the van in case of an accident. I regularly travel with 2-3 dogs and the added safety of a curtain would be nice since, no, I don't keep the dogs restrained.

Jmacn

I'm headed down to Long Beach next week to pick up my 30" super camper from Fiberine. I yanked all the plastic off the van walls and took down the headliner and disconnected the airbags. I do have a warning light now but its not too annoying yet. I emailed the company about the airbag simulators but never heard back. Their website is a little funky and doesn't give vehicle specific options when choosing the product for purchase. Not sure the warning light issue will bug me enough to invest in that. I'm super excited to have standing room in this van. I've been using the van daily and love driving it! The AWD does amazing in the snow and I'm getting 18-20 mpg. Better than I was hoping. I think my Tundra is getting jealous. I installed cruise control and a new stereo head unit that will be compatible with a back up camera if I go that route. I also have a bunch of Thinsulate ready to go when it's time to insulate. I put in a layer above the front headliner that needed to come down to get the rear taken down. Awesome tip there! Thanks all, stoked to be under way on the conversion. I plan to get the top painted and have been calling around to see about the best approach there. Leaning toward leaving the majority of the roof white and just painting the sides and transition onto the roof.

Jmacn

Fiberine 30" Super Camper

I took the big drive to Long Beach for my High Top. I've now got 6'8" standing room in the middle of the van! With any luck that will be enough after sub floor and insulation to keep me vertical. Fiberine was great to work with and did a great job on the installation. Unfortunately I have to get back to work and the rest of the build will have to wait for the summer. On a much brighter note, Old Man Winter is finally here and the snow in Central Oregon is amazing right now! Getting ski boots on inside the van is a dream come true:)

IMG_2670.jpg

rockbender

Adventurer
Hey Central Oregon Neighbor! I'll keep an eye out for you around town and may ask to take a peek inside at your new cavernous space. You won't be hard to spot! The AWD Express does do amazingly in the snow, doesn't it?!

mapper

Explorer
Awesome!

Let me know if you can reinstall your airbags. I pulled my headliner to look at the airbag details and it appeared (from just eyeballing) that the 5" of roof fibreine leaves behind would be more than sufficient to avoid any interference. I'm getting ready to send my check for a high top but trying to get all my ducks in a row before I take the plunge.

Jmacn

My apologies for the radio silence. I'm just now getting back home after a long field season away from my sweet van project. Now its time to roll up the sleeves and get my priorities straight. I'm hopefully free in June & July to get a bunch done on "Vandalf the Green" as it's been dubbed. Not my name but hey, it stuck. Rockbender! Yeah keep an eye out for me I certainly do stick out like a sore thumb! I plan to give the perimeter of the topper a Vinyl Wrap next month to add some color and take the edge off the Poppa Smurf look. The topper will be by far the biggest modification I make and it was NOT CHEAP. My needs for my Van dream were AWD/4x4 and tall top to start. This AWD Express w Fiberine 30" Super Camper will be way less expensive than a 4x4 conversion and obviously in a different league in terms of price of a 4x4 Sprinter. That said I went with all the bells and whistles they offer for this topper. It has plywood reinforcement throughout and dual sliding windows on each side. The installation was same day in Long Beach and was south of $6k... Oh and the airbags are still removed and sitting in my living room.

Last edited:

Jmacn

First priority is squeezing in a few more days of spring skiing and a private trip down the Rogue. After that I'm attacking the sub floor. I want this van to be modular as I do different kinds of trips throughout the year. This needs to be a 4 season rig but is not a full time home. The electrical (going big w solar) and heating (would love to tap into the gas tank) will no doubt be my other BIG investments but I know it will be worth it in the end. I plan on using closed cell foam to insulate the floor and plywood to cover the seat rails. There will be cut outs in the floor to maintain access to use the bench seats. Any insight on recommended foam board configurations (with w/o reflectix) is welcome. I want a durable easy to clean linoleum type of floor covering. There will be water from river gear and melting snow to account for. Again insight is most welcome.

I want to keep access to use both passenger seats. The first row seating will mostly stay in storage. On the driver's side I'm planning to have a removable kitchenette and fridge. On the rare occasion I need 8 seatbelts then I could pull that off. I really like the idea of taking passengers along safely, so the rear seats will most often live in the van. They will also double as the living room couch. I'm tall so my bed platform will be unique. What I have in mind is a Tri-fold platform. The forward 1/3 will hang out over the bench seats and fold back onto the middle 1/3 when not in use. The rear 1/3 will fold forward to make a backrest for the loft couch. Stadium seating before bed time, get it? I'll need some upholstery work for the mattress and I might make a foam cover to make the bench seat more comfortable.

Under the bed in the rear cargo area I'll keep space for 2 bikes, the battery bank, and storage. There is a huge amount of space in the cabover loft and I plan to try and keep it light with 2 drawers (his/her) for clothes and soft goods storage above that. I'm using Thinsulate for the walls and ceiling and will use that to make the many window coverings. All the windows around the rear will get permanently covered.

I have a good handle on the electrical but the heating system is my biggest uncertainty. I would love an Espar type gas heater. My impression on research thus far is if its installed correctly they are super sweet. Other than the expensive price, is there any reason not to go that route? Safety concerns? This part of the build would be something I'd prefer to have installed right the first time. Any shop recommendations in the PNW?

Thanks!

s.e.charles

"I want a durable easy to clean linoleum type of floor covering. There will be water from river gear and melting snow to account for. Again insight is most welcome."

not exactly insight as much as suggestion: run a 1" x 2" curb around 3 sides of the floor and use a garage floor style kit of pourable finish. then you could mop any water towards the "scupper" side and out the door.

Scotty D

Hopefully he will answer soon as I am also curious.
I can tell you it damn sure wont go up.
My van started with the same 18 to 20 MPG and is now at 14 to 17 and this is without a hightop .
I added:
2 inch lift ( more like 1.5 inch)
BFG KO2 tires
340 watts of solar
Solar hot water heater {PVC DIY}
4 rack bars from amazon

I think its all the junk on the roof that is killing me.
I met a guy in Baja a few years ago with the big top like OPs and he says he was getting 13MPG but admitted to having a lead foot.

Jmacn

Hopefully he will answer soon as I am also curious.
I can tell you it damn sure wont go up.
My van started with the same 18 to 20 MPG and is now at 14 to 17 and this is without a hightop .
I added:
2 inch lift ( more like 1.5 inch)
BFG KO2 tires
340 watts of solar
Solar hot water heater {PVC DIY}
4 rack bars from amazon

I think its all the junk on the roof that is killing me.
I met a guy in Baja a few years ago with the big top like OPs and he says he was getting 13MPG but admitted to having a lead foot.

The super camper as predicted didn't do me any favors in the mpg department, nor did the tall KO2s. I'm getting 13-15 now. It's not ideal but I'm super happy with it. The loft area above the cab is huge with this topper. I built two 4' deep drawers out of 1/2" Baltic Birch ply up there that is ample room for his/hers closet space. I also had the topper painted. No regrets on choosing Fiberine. Its a big investment but so worth it.

I absolutely love my Express. The AWD is incredible with this van. I'm chipping away with the buildout as free time allows. I've gotten the 12V system handled. I went w two 6V Lifeline AGMs that give me 300AH, charging w the Ctek SmartPass. I intend to add solar but am pleased how well this system charges with the just alternator. I also added a Webasto petrol heater. That thing absolutely cranks out dry heat. Wet ski gear is no match for that heater, and having a warm van to come home to is incredible. My last big ticket item was a National Luna 60 Twin. I'm planning an all electric kitchenette around it with InstanPot, blender, skillet, and kettle. I've been traveling a bunch with the van which has given me lots of ideas as the build has come together. It's been a fun project so far!504312

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles