GM Passenger Van Camper Conversion Q&A

Jmacn

Trying not to muddle the AWD GM Van Info thread...

I'm just starting the journey of converting an AWD Express passenger van into an adventure rig. I thought I would get a thread going for my sake and hopefully others that are in the early stages of a similar project. I would love input and ideas along the way. Thanks in advance for any helpful participation!

I'm starting with a 2008 AWD Express 1500 passenger van.
-I want to go with the tallest fiberglass top I can because I'm 6'4". The Fiberine Super Camper is currently what I'm looking at. My instinct is to pull everything out of the interior. I realize that the windows will make things more challenging when I insulate and build back the walls. I have read A LOT about the various insulation methods and am not too concerned with the challenges. I intend to keep the windows functional and have it in mind to create some insulated inserts to cover the windows for winter camping.

Initial questions are about prepping this passenger van for the topper. Anyone done this? My concern is for the AC lines that run to the back. I would consider keeping part of the HVAC system if possible. Could I pull just the ceiling and perhaps modify the vents to blow air just past the front cabin? Any ideas on passing the unwanted interior components off somewhere? I hate the idea of not getting that stuff to someone who could use it.

Thanks!!
IMG_1838.jpg

Len.Barron

Observer
My concern is for the AC lines that run to the back. I would consider keeping part of the HVAC system if possible. Could I pull just the ceiling and perhaps modify the vents to blow air just past the front cabin?

View attachment 430836
On mine all the refrigerant lines run under the body and pop up right at the unit, only the vent ducts are in the overhead. Whomever did mine used square plastic tube (looks like pvc rain gutter) and ran that the entire length of the rear area(driverside only)just under the hightop and just added vents every couple feet. Then they covered it with the same speaker box style carpet as the interior of the hightop...seems to work really well.

wjeeper

I helped my brother turn his passenger van into a cargo (and I am in the process of doing the opposite)

The rear HVAC unitlooks like this:
130315-removing-chevy-rear-ac.jpg

Stolen from: http://defyingnormal.com/van-photos/

In this pic from my brothers van you can see how the plenums run upwards to the headliner and forward
IMG_0187%201_zpsnemy8ep2.jpg

The plenum then runs up the rear pillar to the headliner and then forwards. So if your installing a high top you could leave the rear unit in place and modify/ replace the plenum and keep the rear passengers confortable. The a/c lines run underneath the body if memory serves me right.

Jmacn

Great, thanks for that info. I do indeed have rear airbags. Now I need to do some soul searching to decide if I can live without a high top. Disabling the entire curtain airbag system seems like the only option for a tall fiberglass topper. So many vans come without curtain airbags I would be fine not having them. Hmm...

Jmacn

A/C lines under the body is great news! Thanks for that! Seems like keeping the HVAC system with some mods makes good sense. I had it in mind to leave a flange of the roof along the drivers side for cupboards, so keeping a duct with some vents along the drivers side could work really well. Just need to pull the plug on the airbags I guess...

macexpress

Observer
I have a 2014 passenger awd and personally I wouldn't think twice about pulling the airbags out if I was doing a full conversion with a high top like your planning on

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
I installed a Fiberine top onto my cargo van myself.
With the inside flange used to mount the top you end up leaving about 5" of the original roof inside of the raingutter.
It seems to me the only thing which would interfere with the side curtain airbags would be the fasteners used to secure the top to the van. I think if you pulled the airbags out then mounted the top and trimmed the fasteners from the bottom side the airbags could be reinstalled without trouble.

Obviously I am not a professional just a weird van guy on the internet so you will need to do your own research and definitely don't take my advise or your van will self destruct killing everyone within a 1000 miles

Jmacn

Ha ha! Well thanks for that disclaimer. I just put in an email to fiberine. I can't let a little curtain airbag situation get in the way of my dream machine. I don't think I will try to get the airbags functional again because I don't see how that would ever be a good thing to deploy in a built out camper. The thought of 2 ten foot long airbags going off inside a camper van is terrifying.

dleeallen

Adventurer
The thought of wrecking a built out camper terrifies me. Just taking a Sportsmobile on a class 4 road made me realize the importance of securing everything! I hate to think about particle board cabinets coming loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86cj

Explorer
I went with a passenger van because the factory windows age better than aftermarket windows, the ventilation is a little worse though. The interior plastic window trim looks and fits great, modifying it is easy with a sharp knife.......The pillow view from the windows is incredible from my tall bed height, a real game changer and I have camped for many decades.........

I have not dealt with the airbags but removal comes with OBD codes to work around, ever selling it?

The seat rails are and issue but I embraced them and changed my build ideas completely to use them. They are so well anchored and heavy duty modifying them could have merit, removal is a big task..........

You can find cargo vans with rear a/c heat but all passenger vans have it, I can reach my controls from bed after I use the remote start from under the blankets.........Rear A/C heat is an absolute must for any DD normal use Van..........

The stock insulation is actually OK to get you started camping, the windows will make it hard to use when it is "real winter" but I have snow camped a bit........

Jmacn

I have a 30" Super Camper ordered up from Fiberine!! Installation is happening mid February. Anyone have beta on the ultimate van Junk yard between OR and L.A.? I'm looking for a good swivel seat for the passenger side and it seems like the only ones for sale on-line for the Express are kinda crap these days. Also any experience or advice for painting the fiberglass top? I was thinking about researching a marine/ boat yard in Cali that might have better products than auto paint shops for fiberglass...

ndycrg

I'm starting a chevy 3500 passenger to camper conversion myself -- I just stripped all interior pieces to sound deaden and insulate, the airbags were a task I took on. Just disconnect battery, and remove the wires connected to the metal cylinder. Then order two airbag simulators from this source: http://www.airbagsystems.com/simulator.html
That should remove the airbag sensor code that comes up after airbags have been disconnected.

Front headliner needs to be removed so if you're going to sound deaden / insulate might as well do it at same time before putting headliner back in.

Goodluck! PM if any additional questions.

Jmacn

Excellent, thanks for that info! I put an email in to the airbag simulator company, I've never heard of those before. Vandecamp have you decided on your Aux electrical system yet? I do a bunch of remote desert work and have had a solar, dual batt, fridge setup for quite a few years in my truck. I've also installed a few systems in friends trucks also. If youre still in the planning phase I could send you some food for thought. I'm looking forward to that part of this build and hope to have an even better setup in my van. Having way more electrical power than you need with happy charged batteries is an amazing feeling!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94