Structural Question

Ocho

I've searched the forums here, as well on TnTTT and am wondering if I want a RTT mounted on the top of a 5x8 or 5x9 camper (potential teardrop style, or modified teardrop), do I need to do a stick build frame, or is it feasible, structurally, to mount the RTT to one that has sandwiched walls and roof?

I've read through tons of threads but have not found any sandwiched wall trailers that house a RTT on top.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Jonathan

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've got my 4'x5' TEPUI KOKENAM mounted on my 4'x5' TENTRAX and with addition of internal structural walling--it's strong enough to handle an additional 600lbs STATIC-

Feb%202016%20029_zps45j6y1hi.jpg

Feb%202016%20034_zpsg0krdsxg.jpg

Just be sure of weight bearing capabilities-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

ottsville

Observer
I would consider building some kind of reinforcement either in your walls, in your camper, or exterior for your roof rack/tent. It's not just the vertical load that you have to be concerned about, it's also lateral loads on your camper walls. Also, if you are off-roading with your teardrop you need to consider the effect of that extra weight up there.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Consider a Venturcraft arguable one of the most underrated trailer made.
Super light
Fast set up
Queen bed
3'x5' vestibule to get dressed in
Plenty of storage
Waterproof up to 36"
100% wife approved

Attachments

• trailer4.JPG
    trailer4.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 11
  • trailer open2.JPG
    trailer open2.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 10
  • tuff2.JPG
    tuff2.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3545.jpg
    IMG_3545.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 8

Ocho

I would consider building some kind of reinforcement either in your walls, in your camper, or exterior for your roof rack/tent. It's not just the vertical load that you have to be concerned about, it's also lateral loads on your camper walls. Also, if you are off-roading with your teardrop you need to consider the effect of that extra weight up there.

Thanks for your thoughts. I am leaning towards building the trailer with a stick build frame, but wanted some opinions. I'm no engineer! You've helped solidify my decision.

Ocho

Consider a Venturcraft arguable one of the most underrated trailer made.
Super light
Fast set up
Queen bed
3'x5' vestibule to get dressed in
Plenty of storage
Waterproof up to 36"
100% wife approved

I like that trailer, but we have 2 kids. We did an 8 week trip out west and the wife and I slept in the RTT while our daughter and dog slept in the cruiser.

Now, we are at the point where we have 2 kids. The wife and I want a trailer to sleep in and the girls to be in the RTT on top of the trailer. This provides the flexibility to not have to pack up camp to take the cruiser out sightseeing, which sucked on our last trip.

azscotts

Observer
Depending on how you build it, composites (sandwich of different materials bonded together) can be extremely strong - airplane builders do it all the time. But you do need some type of framing to support it all - that's just physics. I used a combination of wood/foam/fiberglass for my entire structure and this thing is strong. I've stood on top of my trailer and not even so much as a creak out of it.

I built a wood frame, glued/screwed to the interior ceiling, then installed that on the top. Then I used foam for insulation between the frame. Added a piece of plywood on the top, glued/screwed that all together. Filled the gaps and routed the edges. Then I covered it in a layer of fiberglass and filled that in with micro till it was smooth. I'd bet 400-500 lbs would sit up on mine just fine.

southpier

Expedition Leader
don't be afraid to add some diagonal bracing. the triangle is the architect's friend.

something as simple as a hardware store screen door rod & turnbuckle, crossed both in latitude (ends) and longitude (sides) can offer enormous rigidity and resistance to twisting.

just like rain, strain does not conveniently bear down only from above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online