2018 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro Overland build

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I am currently in the process of building out my 2017 Ford F-250, thread here http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/172510-2017-F-250-Overland-Hunt-Rig-build, and all of the research, talk, ordering, purchases, excitement, anticipation, etc. has gotten the misses all hot a bothered for a rig of her own. I asked what she wanted or envisioned herself driving and building and her first answer was a new Land Cruiser lol. While I'd love to be able to buy her one and we would most certainly build it out, it's simply not in the cards at the moment. So when we got done laughing and day dreaming, I asked her to get serious with her reply and she quickly shouted "a new TRD Pro 4Runner." A 4Runner, while a bit over priced IMHO, is definitely more in line with the budget at the moment and it fits her lifestyle and needs. So I agreed to it and we started calling dealerships hoping there might be one lying around from a deal that fell through. As expected we had no such luck since they are a hot commodity, so we resorted to ordering it with the local dealership.

There's not a whole lot of options available on the TRD Pro, so we ordered it pretty much how it comes in her color of choice, Super White, and now we wait. The dealer told us to expect it to take six weeks, a few other dealerships told us the same time frame as well. I am not sure why I am skeptical about that time frame, but I feel like it's going to end up being longer, I hope my gut is wrong. I am ok with it taking 8-12 weeks, but I am hoping that it doesn't turn into 16-20 or worse, we will be down to one car for that time frame and things will get interesting if it stretches out past 3 months.

In the interim I am going to start ordering the first round of mods/accessories so that they are ready and waiting to be installed when we get her home. For at least the time being, I'd like to keep this build on the mild side, our truck is more on the wild end of the spectrum and it would be nice to have one of the two more everyday friendly. So here are the mods for phase one of the build 1) Pelfrey Hidden Winch mount with Warn Zeon 10S Platinum and Factor 55 Hawse Fairlead and Flatlink; 2) Shrockworks rock sliders with the dimpled tread plates (she wanted them flat and with texture for use with heels); and 3) either the Front Runner Slim Line II or Prinsu Roofrac, I am not too keen about drilling into the roof of a new vehicle, but these two seem to be the best and both require it. I like the flat racks for ease of mounting the RTT, that said, I was very fond of my Gobi rack I had on my FJ Cruiser, but my they sure are proud of them these days.
I think we are going to leave the suspension/wheels/tires (we really like the look of the TRD Pro wheels) alone for the time being, but after the winch goes on it might require a small spacer in the front to take the rake back out of it and level it out.

I plan to make my kitchen kit and fridge/freezer removable so that we can easily run them in either rig with a simple swap. I am eyeing the Expedition One rear bumper with dual swing outs for later in the year, their design kicks butt. I am leaning towards OME BP51's or King coil overs from Toytec down the road so I'll be keeping a watchful eye on user reports with those kits. I hope in the end she's a fan of the truck and enjoys it and I hope that I am happy with its use as an overlanding machine, I don't want to be getting out of it in a year or two just to start all over again.

Here are pics of one identical to what we ordered. This truck was ordered in by a customer in California, his deal almost fell through, so we thought we might be able to go home right away with one, but in the end he got it worked out and now we wait for our own.

aiOAOfD.jpg

jddXS8N.jpg

SwbGXqp.jpg

zyGxhxp.jpg

odonekanobe

Observer
Be careful. From what I understand Pro's cannot be ordered. Dealers are allocated a certain amount, and after that the only way for them to get one is in a trade with another dealer. Which doesn't happen often as they are a hot commodity.

I've helped 3 people find Pro's and the best advice I can give is to go to cars.com and see what's out there within your travel distance. The last guy I helped got lucky and went to a dealer who told him they aren't allowed to ask over MSRP for the Pro's. Needless to say there were 10 people in line for it while he was filling out the credit form.

Good luck!

(none)

Adventurer
As noted, dealers can't really order product from Toyota. They kinda get what they get and can choose somewhat.

Stupid question, but why not just get what is now a "TRD Off Road"? Those are usually much more available, can be had in the same color, still the off-road goodies but with other suspension, they can actually be had with a moonroof, turnsignal mirrors, and KDSS. All of which is unavailable in the TRD pro... You can make a Pro + out of an off-road premium for cheaper than you can buy a Pro...

Tex68w

Beach Bum
As noted, dealers can't really order product from Toyota. They kinda get what they get and can choose somewhat.

Stupid question, but why not just get what is now a "TRD Off Road"? Those are usually much more available, can be had in the same color, still the off-road goodies but with other suspension, they can actually be had with a moonroof, turnsignal mirrors, and KDSS. All of which is unavailable in the TRD pro... You can make a Pro + out of an off-road premium for cheaper than you can buy a Pro...

I don't want KDSS, I don't want a sun roof, and I could care less about blinkers in my mirrors. When it comes time to sell it in a few years the true TRD Pro will have much better resale and appeal than a Trail/TRD Off-Road. We plan to keep the suspension stock for at least the first year as well and the TRD Pro wins out there as well, not to mention I don't have to drop $1K on a grille to pretend to be a Pro.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Be careful. From what I understand Pro's cannot be ordered. Dealers are allocated a certain amount, and after that the only way for them to get one is in a trade with another dealer. Which doesn't happen often as they are a hot commodity.

I've helped 3 people find Pro's and the best advice I can give is to go to cars.com and see what's out there within your travel distance. The last guy I helped got lucky and went to a dealer who told him they aren't allowed to ask over MSRP for the Pro's. Needless to say there were 10 people in line for it while he was filling out the credit form.

Good luck!

All of that is true, but the dealership has lots of reach and makes lots of trades on TRD Pro's and Land Cruisers so they can usually weasel allocations on such items. This is not unlike what any other dealer would do if they didn't have the vehicle in their possession. It's certainly not ideal, I'd much rather order exactly what I want and be given a firm date and VIN, but you've got to play the game and I am ok with that.

(none)

Adventurer
LOL then go ahead and spend $7-8k more for fancy shocks which you're going to modify anyway to get the fancy grill. Tried to help ya out. :)

Did you drive a non TRD pro? You won't be able to tell a difference driving it around. The rear springs are the same. The only difference is the front shocks (maybe spring rates, but probably not) and the rear shocks. Oh, and the front sits 1" higher and they already trim your bumper for those wheels which are narrower than TRD/Trail wheels.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
LOL then go ahead and spend $7-8k more for fancy shocks which you're going to modify anyway to get the fancy grill. Tried to help ya out. :)

Did you drive a non TRD pro? You won't be able to tell a difference driving it around. The rear springs are the same. The only difference is the front shocks (maybe spring rates, but probably not) and the rear shocks. Oh, and the front sits 1" higher and they already trim your bumper for those wheels which are narrower than TRD/Trail wheels.

$7-8K more my ********, only if you get a base model with cloth and no options. The current TRD Off-Road 4Runner loaded (leather, moon-roof, rails) and TRD Pro wheels/tires stickers for more than the TRD Pro. $37,800 base, add TRD Pro wheels/tires/black badges is another $3,200, then moon roof/leather/blinker mirrors/KDSS/rails another $4K, stickers for nearly $2K more than the TRD Pro and adds things I don't particularly want or need.

Yes, we have driven the non-TRD Pro, we've previously owned a 2014 SR5 Premium 4wd and a 2016 Limited full-time 4wd so I am aware of how they handle and ride. At the end of the day the woman wants a TRD Pro and it's nearly half the price of the Land Cruiser she truly wants. I am not going to bicker over a few thousand dollars or a set of wheels and a grille, if that's what she wants, then that's fine by me.

Last edited:

braindoc

Tex68W, Did you find a lot of difference between the 2016 Limited and the 2014 SR5 in terms of street handling and mainly as the daily drive. I'm currently looking but I doubt I'll ever drive off road.
Thanks

O.B.A.K

Hold fast Tex68w, happy wife, happy.. wife. The TRD pro is an enviable base for any family to build off of. Sounds like your mods are well within reason, in response to "adventurers" comments I would say make sure you use every bit of the the rig as it comes to your wife and yourself, those shocks and rims should last you a good long while. Good luck!

Also the comment about heels and the running boards... if all of us out here could be so lucky! Cheers -

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Tex68W, Did you find a lot of difference between the 2016 Limited and the 2014 SR5 in terms of street handling and mainly as the daily drive. I'm currently looking but I doubt I'll ever drive off road.
Thanks

While I liked the idea of the full-time 4wd on the Limited in reality it killed the turning radius and made for slightly lower fuel economy when compared to the part-time t-case in the 2014 SR5 Premium. We both felt it made for a more lethargic throttle response as well. I had the same system in my 2012 FJC Trails Team and for some reason I didn't notice those attributes as much in that platform even though it was the exact same chassis. If given a choice I would pick the part-time system found in the SR5/Trail/TRD-Pro every single day and twice on Sundays. As usual, YMMV.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Hold fast Tex68w, happy wife, happy.. wife. The TRD pro is an enviable base for any family to build off of. Sounds like your mods are well within reason, in response to "adventurers" comments I would say make sure you use every bit of the the rig as it comes to your wife and yourself, those shocks and rims should last you a good long while. Good luck!

Also the comment about heels and the running boards... if all of us out here could be so lucky! Cheers -

Agreed, absolutely no reason to run out and change any of that on the TRD Pro and it's the majority of the appeal of the model in her eyes. I can always add the TRD Pro coil and spacer lift from Toytec should we need bigger tires or more clearance and still utilize the nicer Bilsteins.

In regards to the misses, well she has always enjoyed 4wd vehicles and has been a fan of the 4Runner for many years, this will be her fourth. She works in an office M-F and heels are a standard part of her work attire. She's willing to make sacrifices for her daily commuter in favor of her weekend fun as long as it doesn't make things cumbersome for her daily attire, enter rock sliders with step plates. I complain from time to time like anyone else, but all in all I am very lucky to have such an understanding woman with a willingness to explore and embrace the same hobbies I enjoy.

KAC4RPRO

Tex,
I bought a 4RPRO to do overlanding, but not quite as extreme as what you want. I typically throw stuff in and drive, sleep in the back. So far very happy with the PRO. Shocks are great and work wonderfully off road, I have really tested them this past summer/fall. As for rims and tires, love the rims but IMO the tires aren't good for where I live. They work great in sand, mud, dirt, deep snow and lasted on hard pack in high desert. They absolutely suck in rain, slush, ice and compact snow/ice. I know there isn't probably a tire out there that has all positive attributes but just giving you what I drive in. My rig does great off roading and hasn't let me down, very happy with it. Love the features that the PRO offers. Mine is a daily driver as well so for me it was nice to get a factory rig that has good on road manners and can tango off road when I desire-plus I have to unfortunately use parking garages a lot so important that I can fit in these places. I would love a rack and roof top tent at some point but it's not in the cards right now. My buddy bought an SR5 and PRO'd it and he is having suspension issue(non TRD shocks) and fuel economy. Anyway, good luck with your search.

codename607

Adventurer
$7-8K more my ********, only if you get a base model with cloth and no options. The current TRD Off-Road 4Runner loaded (leather, moon-roof, rails) and TRD Pro wheels/tires stickers for more than the TRD Pro. $37,800 base, add TRD Pro wheels/tires/black badges is another $3,200, then moon roof/leather/blinker mirrors/KDSS/rails another $4K, stickers for nearly $2K more than the TRD Pro and adds things I don't particularly want or need.

Great point! I recently purchased a 2018 TRD Pro Tacoma for the same reasons. I was tired of adding all of these mods to the truck and then loosing big time when it was time to sale. Looking forward to your build!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles