1 Gallon/5lbs Propane Tank Inside Van?

KYC

Adventurer
I've been reading threads about how storing a 20 lbs tank inside might be dangerous.

I have a baby tank (1 gallon) that I want to semi-permanently mount to the inside of my van. Right behind the passenger seat / at our feet when we sleep.

Realistically, how safe/dangerous is this?

I remember taking propane tanks to the desert and shooting them with AR-15s and to our disappointment, they do not explode. What are the real dangers of it?

They only fill these up to 80% anyway.

The propane tank would be very close to my ARB fridge and wonder if the click of the compressor can ignite gasses in case of leak like Fight Club.

SeveralThoseKilldeer-max-1mb.gif

But seriously, I'm thinking about installing a leak detector and calling it good. I would only connected it when using it anyway. Hot water and baja stove all cooking outside and hot water mounted to side door and only used when the door is open.

Thoughts?

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I keep all combustible materials outside the vehicle... for one reason only..
https://goo.gl/images/F46z51

The chances of this happening are small, but anything is possible....
I keep the 1# bottles in the galley box, and the 10# on top of that same box...

perterra

Adventurer
I've been reading threads about how storing a 20 lbs tank inside might be dangerous.

I have a baby tank (1 gallon) that I want to semi-permanently mount to the inside of my van. Right behind the passenger seat / at our feet when we sleep.

Realistically, how safe/dangerous is this?

I remember taking propane tanks to the desert and shooting them with AR-15s and to our disappointment, they do not explode. What are the real dangers of it?

They only fill these up to 80% anyway.

The propane tank would be very close to my ARB fridge and wonder if the click of the compressor can ignite gasses in case of leak like Fight Club.

SeveralThoseKilldeer-max-1mb.gif

But seriously, I'm thinking about installing a leak detector and calling it good. I would only connected it when using it anyway. Hot water and baja stove all cooking outside and hot water mounted to side door and only used when the door is open.

Thoughts?

I would not do it on a permanent basis. Any spark could set the fumes off should you have a leak. The propane is heavier than air so it will pool in the lowest areas. It's a lot harder to over fill modern tanks, but if a pressure relief valve should let go through a fault, yu got a problem

krick3tt

Adventurer
Petrol and gasses outside. Even if I have to put the 10 pound on the roof rack and the 5 gal petrol cans as well, (which I am told does influence the COG) it is better than in an enclosed space. I have fitted petrol cans in the lower part of the Rover where the spare used to go so that I always have 10 gallons of spare fuel for traveling.
Petrol tanks are located outside for a reason, even then they have the potential of explosion in a crash situation. Don't like the smell of petrol or propane gas in my vehicle. If I can smell it there must be a leak of some sort.
I use the small ones for my single burner and dual burner stove and the go in a drawer and that is in the shelf system so I am not always the puritan that I claim to be. So many things can go wrong far from home that it is wiser to be more cautious.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
If you want to store the tank inside, I'd plan to build a box to hold the tank. Seal the box off from the interior and vent the bottom of the box to the outside of the vehicle (through the floor is fine). That's how propane tank lockers on boats are typically designed. Propane is heavier than air, so any leaks will vent to the outside and not build up in the cabin or other enclosed space.

KYC

Adventurer
I keep all combustible materials outside the vehicle... for one reason only..
https://goo.gl/images/F46z51

The chances of this happening are small, but anything is possible....
I keep the 1# bottles in the galley box, and the 10# on top of that same box...

I'm still wondering how that happened? The damage and story doesn't add up.

This is from the actual video.

pic1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne