Carrying Tools...Cutting Down Noise?

I usually carry two toolboxes on trips, one metric and one standard. I'm thinking of combining them in some manner so I have one toolbox that covers my motorcycles (metric), stock van equipment (metric), and modified van parts (standard).

I think I'll need a new toolbox to do this, but I'd like to know if there is a quieter way to carry tools inside my van. Driving on washboard any rough surface bounces the tools around and makes a ton of noise which gets irritating. Do you guys just deal with the racket or do you have any tricks to keeping the noise down?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Use heavy canvas zip or drawstring bags for each tool type. One for screwdrivers, one for ratchets, etc. Stack them in tightly as possible. If using a metal toolbox, line it with plastic wall liner, or thin foam sheet. About 1/16 to 1/8 works. No space for movement, no noise.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I pack the various categories of tools into old socks and then put them in the toolbox. Makes a huge difference. If you use white socks you can use a sharpie to label them.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
For cutting down on weight and amount of tools, I have a hard time finding them, only have one small (and kinda cheap) set but you can get socket kits where they are dual Metric/Standard. The socket itself is longer, kind of like a deep well, and you use a short extension with it, but it's Metric on one side, standard on the other, 2 socket sets for the size of one.

I think there are also types where it is the same principle with adjacent sizes, say 10mm on one side, 11mm on the other. 2 sizes, 1 socket.

Not ideal for every situation of course, but I like the idea for my kits that stay with the vehicle because it cuts down on the overall amount of tools, and for my travel kit I'm really not wanting to do overhauls, just cover the basics if I need to make an unexpected repair. I do also have a dedicated small metric kit, but since I drive rice burners, I think you can dang near remove anything if you have a 10mm and 12mm socket.

I also use a canvas tool bag, they are typically lined with pockets, and I never have the problem of it being half empty, so I never hear any rattles from it.

I tried the tool roll idea, and ultimately didn't like it. I don't know perhaps it was the design roll I got, but I found it added bulk and took up a lot of space for no more tools than would fit neatly inside. I do like it in my tool box at home, works great for keeping my different sets of wrenches together in the drawer.

I have several products from CLC (Custom Leathercraft Company) and they make kind of mid-grade tool bag and tool storage products. I'm eyeing some of the small zippered tool bags myself for grouping items as mentioned by luthj.

Overall though I'm sold on tool bags > hard metal or plastic tool boxes.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
I stuff old rags everywhere to fill up space until there's no room to rattle. Also gives me rags to wipe my hands because if I'm using my tools, my hands are most likely getting dirty.

Like Airmapper, I also prefer tool bags to hard sided cases or tool rolls because they're easier to stuff into odd corners or you could wrap a strap around it to prevent rattles. The only thing I do carry in the hard case is a set of Metrinch sockets and wrenches, which covers both Standard/Metric so I can use one tool set for all cars. The case is blow molded plastic and has a foam liner to prevent too much rattling.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I like rolls for spanners and sockets. Also makes it nice when you use them since you can unroll in the dirt without losing anything, since you'll most likely being working on the ground.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: This is an older picture, but it shows my tool roll and most of the manageable tools that I now keep in one of LOWES multi compartment BLACK CANVAS TOOL BAGS--
035.jpg

After a few miles all the tools settle into their respective positions and everything's-quiet and comfy !

---VERY QUIET-OFF-ROAD-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

SoCal Tom

Explorer
I use tool rolls for my traveling tools, in softsided tool bags. The tool roll gives you a place to set stuff on what ever ground you are working on, and keeps things easier to find.
Tom

I never thought about a tool bag, I'll have to try that. I also need to separate the tools I can use from the extras I'd only need at home. That'll help. Thanks for the pointers!

WVI

Adventurer
I also put my tools in QT sized zip storage backs to keep them organized in my ammo cans

Raul

Adventurer
In addition to a soft bag, build a tool “tray” on the sleeping platform. I love it, easy access, long items fits easy and do not take ANY space.

BCBA0A66-5741-4B1A-BD6F-17176E659E74.jpg959C6B4F-B3C5-4008-BC39-AE41EDA64E3B.jpg5E35FED7-E161-44B4-A367-63A0E9435848.jpg
98F4983E-51CC-42CD-892C-CFC20EFFC8BB.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles