Why so few GM Builds?

SoTxAg06

We must have great luck with GM IFS. We ran 285/75R16 on my 2000 GMC Yukon XL 1500 with a torsion bar level for well over 200k miles. The only front end maintenance was diff gear oil change and regular brake service. We drove that truck hard through desert washes, whoops, high speed washboard, etc. no ifs failures. I did have to rebuild the rear autoride shocks twice.

I can’t speak to how the truck was maintained prior to me purchasing it. It did have a front replacement bumper which didn’t help in the longevity department of the IFS parts. That being said, after replacing the control arms with the kryptonite arms, and adding Bilstein 5160s, it was fun to take down washboard roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Just last week the shop the shop I use was installing HD aftermarket frontend parts on an '06 Duramax. The HD control arms and ball joints were pretty impressive.
They're not a fan of the torsion bars.

usanumber1

I picked up my Suburban a few years ago in bone stock configuration. All of the suspension was shot, which I expected and knew. I replaced all bushings, balljoints, inner and outer tie rods, idler, pitman, shocks, brakes, tires, and even replaced rag joint with a universal from flaming river to get the steering even tighter. It rode better, but it still wandered, had tons of play in the steering, and I knew I didn't want to be somewhere remote like Coyote Flat and have something break (despite having spare parts onboard). That's when I decided that a SAS would be better than an IFS lift with stronger axles/CVs and heim joint steering.

After the SAS, I can confidently say that my suburban rides better, tracks perfectly, and performs better both on road and off, with FAR less risk of components breaking. GM really screwed the pooch when they went to IFS around 1990. Instead of making it ride like a Buick Lesabre, they should have continued working with solid axles on their 4WD trucks. The torsion bar suspension rides like dog ******** and it's a pain in the ass to work with imho.

I'd venture to guess the lack of GM in "overland" is a very much related to my experience. Imagine how many Duramax Suburbans on tons they would have sold in the last 18 years had they gone down the road with Ford, and with a wheelbase 12" shorter than an ECSB, I could see it being a popular choice for people interested in the places we like to go.

buddy10mm

I'll bite! For the past ten years I've had a 2007 2500hd Sierra (New Body). It was stock for several years, then I put a leveling kit on it and went to 33s. Now that I no longer need it to be quite such a daily driver, I'm considering more fitting (a lift, bigger wheels/tires, upgraded front end, something better for storage than an open bed, etc.). It's got the long-box and, I've got to admit, when it comes to hauling gear into the desert, I love the cargo capacity.

IMG_3518.jpegThis is from a trip we took around the Great Salt Lake in 2020. The other two vehicles belong to my kids.
Basically, a leveled but-otherwise-stock Duramax makes a great desert explorer. Lots of cargo, great range, competent enough off-road (it won't rock-crawl). I didn't need to build it in order to use it.

buddy10mm

as I said once before - I pity people who have only one car.

but I think the criticism it utterly pointless - no one is forcing them into something they don't want. It's the same with people who like one brand over another - all that person is doing here is making absolutely certain that he should never come to a rally because he will find his attitude is most certainly a lonely one.
I've got the 8' bed on mine. I can generally just arrange my gear to one side and sleep in the back. If I'm a little fastidious, I can fit myself and my ten year old twins in the bed, and most of our gear still in there. I love that long bed!

buddy10mm

That's funny, here you are calling out crazydrei for stereotyping, do you even remember what you previously post?

That's an entire post of stereotyping and generalization!
I ended up with my Duramax after my dad died. It was his truck originally. He bought it for one purpose: hauling his toys... lots of toys... lots of heavy toys, and his construction equipment. In this case, at least, the Duramax was purchased to tow - a lot.

billiebob

I grew up in OilBerta. I worked around companies with hundreds of oilfield service trucks. On average a GM product needed a new IFS every 2 years. A Ford or Dodge with solid axles ran 300K miles with zero front end work. I had 300K miles on my 1977 F250, never spent a penny on the front end. That is why I drive a Wrangler today. Other than steering knuckles .... which even Chevies have... my front end NEVER needs parts. My current Wrangler has 400K kms on it with zero suspension work..... But yes IFS do ride nicer.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I grew up in OilBerta. I worked around companies with hundreds of oilfield service trucks. On average a GM product needed a new IFS every 2 years. A Ford or Dodge with solid axles ran 300K miles with zero front end work.

Same problems with GM IFS at Nevada mines where everything runs in mud 24/7. Most wouldn't last even a full year, much less 1 years. Mud freezing up inside the A frames, tearing up the boots.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Maybe it's a regional thing: in the Arizona desert people like them.

I love the GM IFS and have never had issues with it. MY GMT800 1/2 ton had ~200,000 miles when I sold it and never needed servicing.

Also, I coworker of mine used to work for border patrol and was a mechanic for their vehicles. He said the GMT800 6.6 Duramax was the best vehicle he has ever seen. ?‍♂️

Explorerinil

Observer
Maybe it's a regional thing: in the Arizona desert people like them.

I love the GM IFS and have never had issues with it. MY GMT800 1/2 ton had ~200,000 miles when I sold it and never needed servicing.

Also, I coworker of mine used to work for border patrol and was a mechanic for their vehicles. He said the GMT800 6.6 Duramax was the best vehicle he has ever seen. ?‍♂️
The duramax and the Allison (Real one not the current that gm builds and purchased the rights to name it Allison) are a very good engine combo. The 6.0 v8 is also a very good engine. The problem is new gm vehicles have gone completely down the toilet, all of them. gm made solid reliable vehicles and people are still buying them based on this past reputation. The IFS is left in stock geometry is fair, but not near as reliable and easy to work on as a solid front axle. Another issue with GM ifs is the torsion bars, unlike ram and ford ifs in their half tons, gm is using a torsion bar set up which doesn’t flex well or work near as well.

In severe duty such as border patrol or police work, a tahoe or suburban will do much better than an explorer or Durango, they have a body on frame and a simple 5.3 v8 mated to a 20 plus year old design 6 speed trans. However they don’t perform near as well as the other two.

Cortttt

For the price of a Quiqley, I'm sure they fixed the Express vans faults.

If I ever get stuck in another of our 2500 Express vans, I'll shoot some youtube video. They're the most dangerous vehicle I've driven, since the thankfully now defunct Econoline 350 whale tails. No shocks. No sway control. Death wobble (kinda). Get's stuck in 2" of anything. I'll quit if I get issued another one at work.
My 2010 has 200K rough miles on it. no death wobble; of course I upgraded the shocks, no problems with sway...With good tires its been all over the west. Sincerely beg to disagree.

Cortttt

The duramax and the Allison (Real one not the current that gm builds and purchased the rights to name it Allison) are a very good engine combo. The 6.0 v8 is also a very good engine. The problem is new gm vehicles have gone completely down the toilet, all of them. gm made solid reliable vehicles and people are still buying them based on this past reputation. The IFS is left in stock geometry is fair, but not near as reliable and easy to work on as a solid front axle. Another issue with GM ifs is the torsion bars, unlike ram and ford ifs in their half tons, gm is using a torsion bar set up which doesn’t flex well or work near as well.

In severe duty such as border patrol or police work, a tahoe or suburban will do much better than an explorer or Durango, they have a body on frame and a simple 5.3 v8 mated to a 20 plus year old design 6 speed trans. However they don’t perform near as well as the other two.
No problems at all with suspension after 200K miles, 135K of which was spent mostly boondocking in the West. Much, much better driver than the Ford.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles