Why so few GM Builds?

Matt_

Observer
My only gripes with the modern (2007+) GM trucks is that they still have the problematic AFM (the system that shuts off 4 cylinders while cruising)

Unless you get a 2500 with the L96 6.0L. No AFM, and a drivetrain/platform designed to survive 200k+ for 2500hd truck fleet use.

Only issue with GMT900 2500 series SUVs is finding one in good condition for a decent price. Last production year was 2013, and they're highly sought after, with very few people selling due to lack of equivalent replacements on the market. Blue book value almost doesn't apply...

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
My daughter's 2001 1500HD Crew Cab just rolled 350,000 miles last month (December 2017. The truck still has the original 6.0 GAS LS engine with a 4L80E transmission that has been replaced once. Synthetic oil since new. Change oil every 5K miles. Last oil change used 3/4 of 1 quart of oil between oil changes.

Pretty Amazing!

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Maybe the GM guys aren't posting on here in the same volume as the more popular overlanding rides do. Pop over to CK5.com and check out a few of the multipurpose builds (K5's. Subs of many generations and SAS'd GMT400's and GMT800's). I haven't put together a build thread here, but I'm big on going against the grain. So I'm running a 91 V1500 Blazer (aka K5), mild lift, Bilstiens, 3/4 ton axles and a modern 5.3 LS small block. Most recent add for camping comfort (key word being camping) is the vintage FWC Blazer camper I found. Modern power/fuel economy in a sweet bodystyle with a very stout drivetrain.

I'm in the middle of refurbishing the camper to make it useable for a run to Mojave Road/death valley in a few months.
36388224972_e709225cdf_b.jpg

B

BPD53

Maybe the GM guys aren't posting on here in the same volume as the more popular overlanding rides do. Pop over to CK5.com and check out a few of the multipurpose builds (K5's. Subs of many generations and SAS'd GMT400's and GMT800's). I haven't put together a build thread here, but I'm big on going against the grain. So I'm running a 91 V1500 Blazer (aka K5), mild lift, Bilstiens, 3/4 ton axles and a modern 5.3 LS small block. Most recent add for camping comfort (key word being camping) is the vintage FWC Blazer camper I found. Modern power/fuel economy in a sweet bodystyle with a very stout drivetrain.

I'm in the middle of refurbishing the camper to make it useable for a run to Mojave Road/death valley in a few months.
36388224972_e709225cdf_b.jpg

Beautiful

Wilbah

Adventurer
I think a lot of the GM platforms are great for builds or even using as stock. I have a '04 Yukon with 230K miles or so. Its never given me any difficulties. Sure have the usual stuff I have to do to keep it operational, but its comfortable around town and on the highway to a spot. Then when I get there it works great/fine offroad - granted I am a logging road, FS road, not a rock crawler kind of guy so I don't need a SAS up front. But the factory rear locker works. Only been stuck a couple of times and that's more from f'n around cause I had a buddy who could pull me out. Plus whether its a Yukon or Suburban plenty of room in back for all the gear and I can sleep there in a pinch (like the trip my buddy forgot his tent poles). When I trade it (ha....give it away!) I will prob go 4 door pickup as the kids are older and I don't need the 3 row seats and I can get 3/4 ton which I cant in a Yukon xl any more. But I would go with whatever GM platform you like/need....pickup, Yukon/Tahoe, Suburban/Yukon XL, I think they are all great for basic camping, wheeling, etc. Obviously if you're building a rock crawler something else may be better but at the price for a used one that was owned by a wife hauling kids to school and groceries I think they are great. Obviously if you're buying used if you can buy from the original owner or through someone you know so you know the TRUE history. Some get beat to crap if its owned by some guy farming or running oil fields or whatever. Good luck!

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Let's not forget when GM would sell you a "Chalet" in which you could enjoy your stay!

These can be pretty slick when the shell is mounted on a newer model 1989-1991 Blazer with proper suspension and drivetrain upgrades.

Attachments

• TCP141.jpg
    TCP141.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 50

Wilbah

Adventurer
Let's not forget when GM would sell you a "Chalet" in which you could enjoy your stay!

These can be pretty slick when the shell is mounted on a newer model 1989-1991 Blazer with proper suspension and drivetrain upgrades.

That would be sweet outfitted right!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I miss the olde GM's. GM needs to look backwards to go forwards. Solid Dana Axles. Manual hubs. Simple to work on. Good looks.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Poor aftermarket support in terms of off-road mods and a weak drivetrain on the 1/2-ton stuff. I am an anti-GM guy, I saw my parents have far too many issues with them when I was growing up. In regards to their HD line of vehicles they are a very distant third amongst the current offerings, small cabs, handles like a car and the IFS is a joke.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I miss the olde GM's. GM needs to look backwards to go forwards. Solid Dana Axles. Manual hubs. Simple to work on. Good looks.

The SAME can be said for every other OEM manufacture with the exception of JEEP who has shown the NEW Jeep will continue with a solid axle.

The "Simple to Work On" concept is now a Pipe Dream due to government regulations for all manufacture's.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The SAME can be said for every other OEM manufacture with the exception of JEEP who has shown the NEW Jeep will continue with a solid axle.

The "Simple to Work On" concept is now a Pipe Dream due to government regulations for all manufacture's.

Not that simple. The Powerwagon is pretty simple to work on. The Super Duty suspension and axles are dead simple to work on. (engine not so much, because Ford) The GM front end is a bit of a pain. SAS are nice, but not as much as a '85 2500 with a ZZ502 would be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles