Why so few GM Builds?

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I have a Duramax Colorado long bed. 6'2" long and a relatively deep bed that's pretty useful for its size. Love this truck, total road trip machine and it tows really well for its size. 30mpg is a nice plus too.

superbuickguy

Explorer
The biggest issue with the smaller beds is that most who buy a truck want to use the bed for camping and projects with the tailgate up, not an easy thing to do in some situations with the tiny beds. I personally wouldn't ever buy a truck if I can't pull off the road and sleep in the back, but some people are okay with just buying a small truck. The upside to these new small diesels is that you are getting 20-30 mpg in a more usable vehicle for the active lifestyle, before that it was usually a Subaru that served this role.

as I said once before - I pity people who have only one car.

but I think the criticism it utterly pointless - no one is forcing them into something they don't want. It's the same with people who like one brand over another - all that person is doing here is making absolutely certain that he should never come to a rally because he will find his attitude is most certainly a lonely one.

Smileyshaun

Observer
I have a feeling some people from pirate 4x4 have made their way over here . Calm down people, it's just a vehicle everybody is gonna like something different and think what they have is probably better .

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The biggest issue with the smaller beds is that most who buy a truck want to use the bed for camping and projects with the tailgate up, not an easy thing to do in some situations with the tiny beds. I personally wouldn't ever buy a truck if I can't pull off the road and sleep in the back, but some people are okay with just buying a small truck.
The ability to sleep in the back has long been one of my requirements (even though, if I'm honest, I haven't done it in almost 4 years.)
That's one of the reasons I wouldn't consider a compact double-cab-short-bed truck. And by the time you get to the wheelbase and overall length of a double-cab-long-bed, you are at pretty much the same price point and the same MPG as a full sized truck.
Most full size CCSB trucks have a ~5 1/2' bed. At first I assumed this would be too short for me to sleep in (I'm 6'1") but then I considered that there's no rule that says you have to sleep lengthwise. ;)
Using a Pythagorean theorem calculator I found online I determined that a full sized Ford or Chevy CCSB with a 5.5' bed actually has over 7' of diagonal space - plenty for one person to sleep in with a platform above the fenders.
Compact trucks are narrower so they wouldn't give as much diagonal room. The beds on compact trucks are also shorter - typically 5' vs 5.5'.

superbuickguy

Explorer
The ability to sleep in the back has long been one of my requirements (even though, if I'm honest, I haven't done it in almost 4 years.)
That's one of the reasons I wouldn't consider a compact double-cab-short-bed truck. And by the time you get to the wheelbase and overall length of a double-cab-long-bed, you are at pretty much the same price point and the same MPG as a full sized truck.
Most full size CCSB trucks have a ~5 1/2' bed. At first I assumed this would be too short for me to sleep in (I'm 6'1") but then I considered that there's no rule that says you have to sleep lengthwise. ;)
Using a Pythagorean theorem calculator I found online I determined that a full sized Ford or Chevy CCSB with a 5.5' bed actually has over 7' of diagonal space - plenty for one person to sleep in with a platform above the fenders.
Compact trucks are narrower so they wouldn't give as much diagonal room. The beds on compact trucks are also shorter - typically 5' vs 5.5'.

asking for a friend - what does this have to do with whether or not there sufficient quantity of GM builds on here?

granted, the tangent, according Robert's rule of order, is potentially there, but honestly - wouldn't it be better in another thread?

And in answer to your next question - I'm not starting a build thread on my Colorado because I still have photobucket so if I were to do a thread, it'd implode when I finally pull the plug from it ...

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
No one has played the political card,
Republicans drive Fords
Democrats and progressives drive Chevy's and Volvo's, Subarus more or less, according to U.S News and World Report.
Is it possible or could it be there's not as many Dems or progressives on this site.

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
For every Tacoma build there are 10 domestic trucks (GM/Ford/Dodge) out there bone stock hunting, camping, and working without anyone noticing.

Haha, exactly this. Those guys aren't #overlanding or living the #vanlife or #expoaf or #anything. They're just doing the same thing in trucks we've been doing for decades and not calling it anything, posting on instagram, or having meetups in Starbucks parking lots.

Our Chevy's are boring. Just the way they should be.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Republicans drive Fords
Democrats and progressives drive Chevy's and Volvo's, Subarus more or less, according to U.S News and World Report.
Is it possible or could it be there's not as many Dems or progressives on this site.

If you think that you haven't read the global warming topic in Fireside Chat

/laughing up my sleeve

thezentree

pretend redneck
Republicans drive Fords

lol

wrong.jpg

B.I.L.L.Y

Best thread I've read in a long time.

Feeling a little more "GM PROUD" after all this.. lol Seriously there's a lot of truth to these comments.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Republicans drive Fords

Seems lefty around here to me. (as expected)

In my AO, Ford's draw disproportionate sales from:
-rural, or wilderness home owner areas
-race car, power boat owners
-powerline, pipeline, emergency service vehicles
-campers
-ranchers
-horse chicks
-people that experienced GM's 2 mile warranty, or Dodges lack of professional technicians
-nicest XL "base"models
-people with the most absurdly bad taste in paint schemes and upscale trim and/or horrible taste in options like: heated butt massages, leaky moon roofs, psychotic variable steering, sensors and camera's everywhere
-people that take trucks through an automated car wash (wtfbbq?)
-morons that want to tow a 5'er with a 1/2 ton
-people that want 35" tires to fit stock, and prefer giant solid axles (me)
-easy to service suspension and axles

Dodge from:
-rural, or wilderness home owner areas
-campers
-because cheaper than Ford, easier financing
-farms
-people that love tractor engines
-people that bought the wrong Ford (6.0)
-kids, and younger wheelers
-sometimes the cheapest base model, sometimes Ford.
-Powerwagon
-car haulers types who can't spare 5 minutes to aim their headlights properly, or to spec the proper rear springs.
-invisible trailer towers
-giant sticker people
-jeep owners
-easy to service under the hood and dash

Gm:
-city people
-suburbs
-people that can't jump or climb (seriously, floor height sells to some people)
-people that like the way a 1983 Buick Lesabre drives and rides (ie: like a sailboat)
-people that bought the wrong Ford (6.0).
-owners of 5th wheel trailers (bed clearance, truck height issues)
-pig farms and chicken farms (not free range)
-people that found out that Ford has no warranty on outside cosmetic issues, like a hole in the bumper not noticed at the dealer inspection
-cheapest of the loaded plush high end models
-people that want to tow a 5'er with a half ton
-people that like SUV's and horses

So the assumption that Ford might be more right leaning, is fair. IMO. Give or take the horse chick quip.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
In my AO the majority of the type who own GM's are as follows:

* Those who want a truck that drives/rides/feels like a car or SUV
* Those who grew up with GM vehicles
* City boys and weekend warriors/garage tinkerer types
* Those who do very little towing

The diesel trucks are overwhelmingly Ford and Dodge/Ram as are those driven by farmers, ranchers, and company/work trucks.

Dalko43

Explorer
For every Tacoma build there are 10 domestic trucks (GM/Ford/Dodge) out there bone stock hunting, camping, and working without anyone noticing.

This is true. I'm glad someone pointed that out.

Nothing against Toyota's (i own one), but the domestic trucks (including GM) literally get driven into the ground and abused for years and years. The interior on some of them may not hold up so well, but most of those trucks will drive with very basic maintenance regimen's. When we see an older Toyota, especially one that has been "expo'd" out, we (overlanders) tend to notice it. But the domestic trucks are all over the place, and I think a lot of people ignore them while driving down the road.

Plenty of hunters, farmers, and self-employed contractors driving around in old Chevy, Dodge and Ford pickup's. Many of them are rusting apart (so are the Toyota's though), but they still work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz