Why so few GM Builds?

rayra

Expedition Leader
$3k vs $6k? big whoop. The 800s have really got most of the kinks worked out and are dead simple to work on, especially the engines. And parts are dirt cheap right now. I've been putting a lot of related info in my 'Hey Vortec Guys' topic, for anyone that wants to read more than nitro's s-talking about them. Their fuel injection is certainly much better than the TBI and spider setups of the 400s.
I've owned a carb-equipped SBC C-10 for over 30yrs, had a '99 Tahoe new thru '05, the '05 Tahoe since new and now about to cross 200k mi, and the '02 for just over 3yrs. I changed the oil pan gaskets and pickup tube o-rings on both last year and the guts of that Tahoe motor looked. I've driven a lot of miles in the southwest deserts, but not at high speeds and I dont bash my vehicles around rock-crawling. But have driven a lot of washes, fire roads, things that were fire roads in the Sierras. I've never broken anything but tires. So when someone comes along braying that IFS is crap, I have to wonder wth they are smoking. Or how they drive or abuse their vehicles.

And too, I have to wonder how their interpretation or assignment of 'lack' has anything to do with the vehicles in question. You can TRY to do a lot of things in these vehicles, well outside their design parameters. Put your foot in it hard or jump a 6000-lb+ vehicle. And that's why there's an aftermarket rife with beefed up parts. And you get a topic like CrazyDrei's
You want to see a GM build with some good upgrades on it, go look up Stryder106's Avalanche. He's been doing some nice stuff to it, and taking the sort of 'expeditions' this place is supposedly about.

eta 2005-2006 Subs and Tahoes are down around $8k now. They were ~$14k 3-4yrs ago. If I was starting my search for such a vehicle now, those are the years I'd be looking at as the best 'value' / nexus of condition, cost, useful life remaining and low cost of repairs or upgrades.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
If you're gonna work with *******, better to start with cheap ******* than expensive *******!!!

Your avatar has a Dodge pictured, talk about cheap *******. I've owned ford, chevy, dodge/ram, and Toyota. They all have strengths and weakness. Dodge is the cheap ******* of the bunch. Not saying they are total junk, but that's where they are at in the pecking order.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Your avatar has a Dodge pictured, talk about cheap *******. I've owned ford, chevy, dodge/ram, and Toyota. They all have strengths and weakness. Dodge is the cheap ******* of the bunch. Not saying they are total junk, but that's where they are at in the pecking order.

Don’t take it personally. Besides, this thread is about bashing GM IFS, not about how Ford, Chevy and Toyota are better than Dodge!

I have owned them all and if I had my choice it would probably be a f-350 SRW gas. I was looking for one when I found a great deal on a Dodge. Would I trade my old Dodge for a NEW Chevy? No. They do ride like cars though, which is nice if you bought a 3/4 ton truck to use as a “car.”

Come to think of it, I don’t see too many Chevys at the oil field locations where I work sometimes. I mean some of the rig hands have the new Z71’s on 22’s with 35” tires that are usually worn funny, but as far as work trucks, it’s Ford or Dodge.

Build what you want. I’m sure if you throw enough time and money at it, the GM IFS will live forever. Have you seen the $$$ stub shafts with the CAD delete and the $$$ RCV axles and the $$$ Cognito steering braces and the $$$ heavy duty idler arms, etc, etc, etc? Don’t forget the $$$ King shocks and the $$$ custom built tubular control arms and the braces tou have to weld to the control arm brackets to keep the frame from breaking (WHAT!?!?! There’s a thread about that on plowsite and it’s not just plow trucks breaking the frame). Yep, by the time you add that up you could have just bought a Dodge or a Ford (or maybe half a Toyota)!

Mccool

Observer
My god this thread is ridiculous!

I had a Toyota for a long time, now I drive a 05' tahoe. Both IFS trucks. Both have taken me everywhere I want to go. I do miss the rattle free drive in the Toyota, my tahoe has some squeaks and rattles. Both have been reliable. Both have been comfortable. I've enjoyed both and that's all that matters to me. I do wish the tahoe was easier to lift mildly, but I've made it work well enough. I also drive a new Ford 1 ton regularly, it's also nice. Maybe I'm too easy to please

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
What a thread....they all have their pros and cons.
Like the poster on the previous page from pirate I can understand and rationalize with the GM IFS thought process.
While I haven't personally had breakage on one I've seen it quite a bit.
But I'd still buy one over a Ford. That is simply preference. Not because I think Ford is junk by any stretch.
I vastly prefer the gm interior, motor, and wrenching on them. I like their diesels better too.
I like that the superduty still has a SFA but I don't like the power train options for ME.
I would really like to test out one of the ecoboost trucks though. Lots of perks. Lots of aftermarket for the f series too.
Dodge....they've got the powerwagon which would rank pretty dang high on the list for me. A 05 Cummins quad cab would be nice but they seem to be worth the same as gold. Same with a clean 7.3 psd rig.

I personally prefer IFS and I wheel my IFS toyota much harder than my K10. But most yota ifs failures are limited to a CV which is quick and cheap to fix.

All this said, the number 1 rig on my dream list right now is a Duramax Colorado/canyon. Love the driveability of a midsize. Love the fuel economy. And love the increased payload and towing over most mid size rigs.

Cheers to all. Build what you like. Every platform has pros and cons.
Whether it's gm ifs, Ford motors or diy wrenching, or simply being associated with Fiat.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
“How do I get rid of my Death Wobble!?!?” Said no GM IFS owner ever...

Lol! Says the guy with a GM solid axle. It’s a 10 bolt... Everyone knows they explode if you drive them on dirt... maybe that’s why there aren’t more GM builds? Stupid 10 bolts.

superbuickguy

Explorer
All this said, the number 1 rig on my dream list right now is a Duramax Colorado/canyon. Love the driveability of a midsize. Love the fuel economy. And love the increased payload and towing over most mid size rigs.

Which is what I bought. I absolutely love it, and the mpg :wings:

fanboys... smh.
and solid axles... the only time I've seen a Superduty wheeling is when it was, really, stolen.

My '40 is for wheeling, and it's 50 of the best auto brands. My Colorado is for driving, towing, and hauling stuff for my projects. I get some people can't have 2 vehicles... poor things. If I am going to the track, I'll take full independent suspension of my Corvette. For snow and tough trails, the 40, for driving every day when I don't want to worry about whether or not I'm going to make it or to look in my rear view mirror and watch my swampers leave their mark on pavement... the Colorado.

what I don't get is fanboys ******ting on other people's discussion.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I looked at a diesel Colorado too...until I found I couldn't get one with a bed big enough to haul anything in, or sleep in, if I got a bigger cab. Anything with more than just a standard (single row seating) cab and all you get out back is a trunk with no trunk lid!

superbuickguy

Explorer
I looked at a diesel Colorado too...until I found I couldn't get one with a bed big enough to haul anything in, or sleep in, if I got a bigger cab. Anything with more than just a standard (single row seating) cab and all you get out back is a trunk with no trunk lid!

that's funny. the quad cabs come in 2 bed lengths - 5 foot and 6 foot but what you're saying is you want a small truck to be bigger. I'm pretty sure GM makes bigger trucks as well... maybe you can get your dealership to slap some Colorado name plates on the side of a Silverado? If that doesn't work GM is coming out with a Silverado diesel that fits between the Colorado and 2500 in 2019....

as an aside, I thought the 6 foot bed trucks were too large.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
that's funny. the quad cabs come in 2 bed lengths - 5 foot and 6 foot but what you're saying is you want a small truck to be bigger. I'm pretty sure GM makes bigger trucks as well... maybe you can get your dealership to slap some Colorado name plates on the side of a Silverado? If that doesn't work GM is coming out with a Silverado diesel that fits between the Colorado and 2500 in 2019....

as an aside, I thought the 6 foot bed trucks were too large.

The biggest issue with the smaller beds is that most who buy a truck want to use the bed for camping and projects with the tailgate up, not an easy thing to do in some situations with the tiny beds. I personally wouldn't ever buy a truck if I can't pull off the road and sleep in the back, but some people are okay with just buying a small truck. The upside to these new small diesels is that you are getting 20-30 mpg in a more usable vehicle for the active lifestyle, before that it was usually a Subaru that served this role.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke