SPOT TRACE service price increase.

paranoid56

Adventurer
Anybody get the email saying they are increasing the price 50% to $150 and also a "network maintenance fee" of $15.
was going to buy a second one for my truck, but not not so sure. wonder what other good setups are out there.
EDIT: so i guess its really 75% price increase lol. ug (base price used to be $99 a year)
from the email.
Dear Valued SPOT Customer,

Thank you for your continued loyalty to SPOT. We hope that SPOT Trace's satellite technology and proven reliability has helped you to keep track of your important assets located beyond the reach of cellular coverage and provided you with additional peace of mind.

As we continue to upgrade our network to ensure you the best possible and most reliable service in the industry, this email is to inform you of upcoming changes to the cost of your SPOT service plan(s):

A Network Maintenance Fee of $14.99 will be charged to your account.
The Trace Basic Service plan fee is increasing to $149.99 per year per device. As such, your current 1-year subscription price will increase to $149.99 at the time of your renewal.
If you have any questions regarding these changes, please contact Customer Care at 866-651-7768.

Thanks again for trusting us to help track and protect all your valuable assets, no matter how remote they may be, and we look forward to doing so in the coming year.

SPOT LLC

Last edited:

paranoid56

Adventurer
Sounds like a good time to jump ship and get a DeLorne / Garmin inReach.

for me, i only use it to track my truck. like a theft thing lol. so not sure that one would be better. Being close to mexico I am paranoid about somebody steeling my truck.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Sounds like a good time to jump ship and get a DeLorne / Garmin inReach.
When they raised the fee on the regular SPOT last year I was tempted but I'm still sticking with it for now since it's still cheaper than buying an InReach, which would also need service on top of the cost. With the SPOT On Demand option I can squeeze a little more time out of it. But Globalstar sure aren't making it easy. I can tell you if I didn't already have the SPOT I wouldn't buy it again.

thebmrust

I'm guessing they are in a do or die situation. The gen3 may not be selling as well as they hoped (and subsequent lower than expected subscribers) and to make up the shorts the base of subscribers are getting stuck paying for the difference.

I'm a gen2 subscriber and haven't seen the email. So I'll go look for it and decide if SPOT is worth it. Right now, no, it's not.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Gen 2 subscriber here. Called to cancel when the price went up. Was told the price increase (on the Gen 2) is that the optional and extra cost breadcrumbs is now included in base package. On the phone, they gave me a credit on the 2 year renewal for that additional cost. In other words, 2 year renewal by phone at same old price said to be based on longevity (I've been a subscriber since 2011.)
If you're happy with the service, it can't hurt to try to negotiate. Worst that can happen is they say no.

Bear_Flag

I first got a Spot Gen 2 when it was like $108 a year back in 2008. I decided to just drop it with the increase to like $150 a few years back. As recently as February I got an email offer to reactivate for one year for only $50, but I decided to pass.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I first got a Spot Gen 2 when it was like $108 a year back in 2008. I decided to just drop it with the increase to like $150 a few years back. As recently as February I got an email offer to reactivate for one year for only $50, but I decided to pass.
Same situation here. I bit on the promotion, it really is $50 for a 12 month activation as near as I can tell. At that price I'll get my use out of it.

Fallon 40

Observer
When they raised the fee on the regular SPOT last year I was tempted but I'm still sticking with it for now since it's still cheaper than buying an InReach, which would also need service on top of the cost. With the SPOT On Demand option I can squeeze a little more time out of it. But Globalstar sure aren't making it easy. I can tell you if I didn't already have the SPOT I wouldn't buy it again.

Same here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles