"Raptor"ish on the cheap

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Thanks, some very helpful comments - don't buy already lifted. Got it.

Yeah, thought my OP was clear but I'm not looking to actually buy a Raptor or make a truck look like it is one. Even better if it looks more like a broken down 15 year old work truck lol.

I want a safe, rough roads daily driver on a practical budget that can potentially be a total loss in my travels without crying too much about it. But under the skin, very good mechanicals allowing a lot of miles in air conditioned comfort and reliablity.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
5k?
2003 f150.
5.4 2v-very reliable, 03 has updated heads so no spark plug issues. Torquey engine. Good factory LS.
Affordable long travel kits. Tons of after market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So gen 10 (1997-2003) is in your opinion a sweet spot of affordability and aftermarket choices? Thanks

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
And @daveindenver, why do you say mid-size over full? Less sprung weight making it a lot easier to smooth out a higher speed ride?

rruff

Explorer
I'll concur with the folks who recommend looking for a deal on a very clean used truck, and a mild suspension upgrade and bigger tires. Mild would be ~2" of lift, UCAs, 2.5 coilovers and rear shocks, and progressive rear springs made for your load. You can spend ~$3.5k on that, or look for decent options (like OME or Bilstein 6112) that will be less than half as much.

ferg101

So gen 10 (1997-2003) is in your opinion a sweet spot of affordability and aftermarket choices? Thanks

Yes, lots on long travel options for them that are affordable. Easy to work on, good drivetrain (5.4 2v has 350 ft/lb, 9.75 rear, 4r70w trans, and BG t-case.
Stock, they have a torsion bar front suspension, so they would be the ideal candidate for a LT kit like Dixon brothers racing offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Ok, if we're abondoning the Raptor stuff, but want a fullsize:

2001-ish Ford Super Duty. Before they had the funky 3v nonsense. Regular cab, 4wd, Carli or BDS 4" kit, Tom's Custom driveshafts. Fox 2.0 or Bilstein 5100's. Putt a locker in the rear, toss on some Bushwacker flares (cut out flares if you want huge tires).

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
^another vote for compact/midsize - why is that?
Compact/midsize (which for the argument I include light duty 1/2 ton) because it fits your initial requirements for something that can be built cheapish, handle a smaller camp outfit and be built for reasonably decent rough road travel. It's not that you can't build a Super Duty but that's a lot of excess unsprung weight to haul around and make do what it sounds like you want to do. Tacomas and Rangers and F150 OTOH are built by scores of people to do exactly what you want to do, 2WD and 4WD, float over Baja washboards.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
And weight is the enemy.

You can't cheap out on any parts for a Dodge or Super Duty. Get the good stuff.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Yeah that makes sense, weight is the enemy. Back in the day I did some silly things with a couple of Samurais and Toyotas (pre Tacoma), and they didn't have enough weight to break anything.

I like the idea of full size with tow cap since I still own a couple of trailers somewhere, but it doesn't really match up so well with this design/build goal. I'll start looking at CO area trucks I think, will likely be back in the US in the next 60 days to buy something and get started fixing it up. Got no home or shop, so it'll have to happen at Denver / Boulder region shops if anyone has any glowing reviews to forward ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior