Feedback needed: Build your own trailer kit?

If you guys could give me a little feed back on what you think of this idea it would be much appreciated.

I've seen the success of the Scout trailer as a DIY kit and thought there may be some interest if we could provide the same type of "kit"?

We have our Sergeant and Alpha trailers that we bring in to the US and assemble ourselves to provide a VIN number and necessary paperwork.

If we sell a "kit" it would be up to the customer to register and license the unit themselves just like with the Scout trailer.
What this does for the customer is lowers the price of the unit as we would not have any paperwork or labor into the unit.

Would you guys be interested in a "kit" form of these trailers?

Alphaopen.jpgsergeant.jpg

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Sounds like an excellent idea, saving $ always is...lol. There seems to be potential for "some assembly required". Most folks that seriously get into the "outback" are handy individuals that would spring for a kit - if it had the right features, didn't require special tools (unless included...lol) & included GOOD instructions - not the incomplete or completely lacking that we've all seen from foreign & even some local manufacturers. On line downloadable PDF files would be acceptable and would save the manufacturer $. Easy to update & customers could print them if desired.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Individual registering: The registration is dependent upon the individual state, but generally, this is a very simple process involving an inspection and presentation of the statement of manufacture or purchase receipts. The primary concern is that it's not stolen. The state issues a VIN. It's done all the time.

If the assembly is simple tools (i.e. no welding), I don't see any 'adventurer' not being able to build it. It's part of the personal makeup. :)

One of the attractions for the Smittybilt Scout is the low cost entry point for the basic unit while still being functional. The purchaser may make modifications but they don't feel like they paid extra for something they're just going to throw away. The trade-off is weight (cheaper heavy steel) at 1500+ lbs empty.

If you enter this end of the market, you will need to differentiate your product(s) from the Scout and make sure there's value for them. Since you're trailers arrive in the US 'ready-to-assemble', I cannot think of why you wouldn't offer to have it drop-shipped to a customer.

80y0ylc- I would put a set of instructions together, it's a fairly simple process.

ratled- www.blackseriescamper.com (still under construction)

AdventureHare - There is some minor welding for the draw bar but the rest is bolt-on or pop rivets. Our trailers are a little more well equipped that the scout as far as suspension and included equipment but our estimated price point is right there with them. I can ship them but it would have to be freight and you would need a forklift to move them which is the same as the scout trailer.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Shipped by freight isn't an issue here in the US. The Scout demonstrates that.
If you're price competitive, the challenge would be to get in front of perspective customers. Smittybilt has a distribution network thru various retailers with strong online presences. That multiplies their reach. If you could be pushed along side, there'd be a much better chance of being selected.
Welding would be a deal-breaker for me, unless I found a welding shop that would accept the shipment, do the work, and let me assemble enough to get it home. But that cost would offset the 'kit' advantage. If you could devise a bolt-on solution, you'd be in a better position with the kit.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
This was done by LifeTime brand a few yrs ago. They sold a 4x6 through a few retail fronts. Mine was bought via Costco ordered by website Thrusday night, delivered on pallet Tuesday morning! Took about 6 hours of solo assembly while drinking beer. Assembly process / instructions were brilliant using several aspects of the trailer to assist in the build process. Like the tent legs holding the trailer frame off the floor so the axle could be rolled under it and bolted up.

(none)

Adventurer
I'd be down, depending on pricing of course.

A little welding isn't an issue. If you aren't comfortable or capable, just take the drawbar to a local welder and throw him a few bucks.

Pelagius

Also, after looking at your site, there are a lot of options featured on the trailers (Kitchen, on board water, power etc.). Would the options be available or would this be a "bare bones" style of a thing?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I'd also suggest a bolt up kit; however, couldn't most get stock cheaper locally and drill a few holes with instructions, perhaps a template? The frame members could be pre welded to an extent with bolt up flanges ready to go, but a 6 or 8 foot draw bar, I'd try my local market.

Anyway, as to the box, I bet quality control will be hard to master from an assembly line venture, which is why when I get almost anything I end up having to ream or drill holes out, change hardware sizes or start grinding because things just don't fit like a one off build.

Another option, painted or unpainted, custom paint, graphics, etc, the add ons add up, so is there a bare bones kit and a higher end unit.

Speaking of add ons, what kind of gadgets can be attached, mounts, baskets, awnings, lights, etc..... ????

From a business aspect, kits with "add ons" can be more profitable than out the door ready to roll units, but I'd think quality, service and reasonably priced options would be critical.

Good luck :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles