Any GMT900 Suburban/XL 2500 builds here?

Tiki

Observer
Here you go...

Old (285/65-18 Nitto Terra Grappler, installed by previous owner):
View attachment 433389
The problems were:
1. They rubbed in the front, and I didn't like them enough to want to cut into factory sheet metal to make them clear.
2. The wheels just didn't look right on a Suburban in my opinion.
3. The combination of the tire width and low profile made them tramline quite a bit on the highway.
4. They rode rough when inflated to pressures that would keep the TPMS happy.
5. With the low profile tires, I felt that the rims were vulnerable on rocky trails.

New (255/85-16 Cooper ST/Maxx):
View attachment 433391
I like this setup better:
1. They ride better.
2. They're more appropriate for trail use, even the mild trail work this truck sees.
3. They are the same overall height as the old setup, so no loss in ground clearance.
4. I like the look better - more purposeful, utilitarian.
5. Of course, they do scrub more if you corner aggressively on the highway, but one doesn't typically drive a 3/4 ton Suburban like a sports car, anyway.
(6. Yes, it towed the Bronco there.)

Funny that the only pics I could find have the rear hatch open! Apparently I take "campsite" pics, not "truck" pics.

Anyway, to bring it back and not highjack the OP's thread, these are great trucks. As you can see, we use ours for both camping by itself (I built a sleeping platform inside), and camping+towing the other toy. The trailer+Bronco are about 8k lbs, and the Suburban happily handles the load, even here in mountainous Colorado. If you want to do this with a late model truck, and you prefer the SUV body style (i.e. not a pickup), the Suburban 2500 is one of the few choices left.

Matt_: Please post pics when you get your lift installed, interested in seeing it!

EB and k2500 suburban... I am jealous.

Matt_

Observer
Well......?

She's all set! The rear is about 1" taller than the front with 39 gallons in the tank which is about perfect considering I don't have the tow assist airbags installed yet (they'll probably add about 1/2" at low pressure). Still need to get my extended brake lines. And 4.56 gears will be going in at the end of March :smiley_drive:

tbisaacs

Adventurer
She's all set! The rear is about 1" taller than the front with 39 gallons in the tank which is about perfect considering I don't have the tow assist airbags installed yet (they'll probably add about 1/2" at low pressure). Still need to get my extended brake lines. And 4.56 gears will be going in at the end of March :smiley_drive:

Ultimate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
Looks Great! How did you find the ride quality was stock? I've heard mixed reviews of the 2500 burbs and yukon XLs when it comes to ride quality.

another question - do all 2500's come with a 2 speed transfer case, it only comes on specfiic 1500 burbs in that body style so i'm curious about the 2500.

Thanks,
Chris

Matt_

Observer

Ride is very subjective... it rides like one would expect a 2500HD pickup to ride because it's the pickup drivetrain and suspension with the burb/Yukon body thrown on. So It rides much harsher than the 1500s...which is why there are mixed reviews. I don't mind it because I bought it for the payload and towing capacity, not for smooth floaty ride quality.

All 4wd 2500s have the selectable transfercase.

Very nice!

Speaking of extended brake lines, with your lift, did you have do anything with the rear ABS speed sensor wires? When mine was up on the lift at the tire shop and the suspension drooped, I noticed mine were very tight... and I only have little 2 inch lift blocks. It wasn't damaging anything when the entire axle drooped, but during articulation it might cause problems.

Matt_

Observer
Speaking of extended brake lines, with your lift, did you have do anything with the rear ABS speed sensor wires? .

Yes. For the time being i made a zip tie link on the lower clip. This gave plenty of slack for the time being, but probably won't be enough once I put the extended hoses on. I'll probably re-locate the frame clip a bit lower to have slack at full droop.
20180303_083239.jpg

TNSG

Haha yup, same "Matt". I think this site is more welcoming to the offroad crowd lol.
Yeah, TYF is a great source for generic vehicle info but they are definitely more into the "slammed trucks on 26's with big sub woofer" type vehicles than off-road. :sombrero:

I must say 85% true. Real off-roaders are few and far between. And I haint talkin mudders.

TNSG

Well......?

Dang!!! Is that a 4” from? Again?

TNSG

Well......?

Wheels ? Here is my canvas. 2009 2500 6.0 ex-gubmint ride. I am looking to keep the lift below the 6-10 bro-trucking Cali-lean. I am not into it.
ae003fcf1a69fbfde396f2d62719797a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles