Any GMT900 Suburban/XL 2500 builds here?

TNSG

This bad boy is being built! I have a 3/1 Rough Country lift for the Beastieburban on order! Changes are coming!!!
c78b434d3b699732ece259991a7e5d71.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

RoverGS

Here you go...

Old (285/65-18 Nitto Terra Grappler, installed by previous owner):
View attachment 433389
The problems were:
1. They rubbed in the front, and I didn't like them enough to want to cut into factory sheet metal to make them clear.
2. The wheels just didn't look right on a Suburban in my opinion.
3. The combination of the tire width and low profile made them tramline quite a bit on the highway.
4. They rode rough when inflated to pressures that would keep the TPMS happy.
5. With the low profile tires, I felt that the rims were vulnerable on rocky trails.

New (255/85-16 Cooper ST/Maxx):
View attachment 433391
I like this setup better:
1. They ride better.
2. They're more appropriate for trail use, even the mild trail work this truck sees.
3. They are the same overall height as the old setup, so no loss in ground clearance.
4. I like the look better - more purposeful, utilitarian.
5. Of course, they do scrub more if you corner aggressively on the highway, but one doesn't typically drive a 3/4 ton Suburban like a sports car, anyway.
(6. Yes, it towed the Bronco there.)

Funny that the only pics I could find have the rear hatch open! Apparently I take "campsite" pics, not "truck" pics.

Anyway, to bring it back and not highjack the OP's thread, these are great trucks. As you can see, we use ours for both camping by itself (I built a sleeping platform inside), and camping+towing the other toy. The trailer+Bronco are about 8k lbs, and the Suburban happily handles the load, even here in mountainous Colorado. If you want to do this with a late model truck, and you prefer the SUV body style (i.e. not a pickup), the Suburban 2500 is one of the few choices left.

Matt_: Please post pics when you get your lift installed, interested in seeing it!
Thank you for posting that. Its the confirmation I have been searching for. I want to put 255's on my 2012 K2500LT. It looks great on your truck. Perfectly set up for what I do. Hope it's still performing well for you.

Thank you for posting that. Its the confirmation I have been searching for. I want to put 255's on my 2012 K2500LT. It looks great on your truck. Perfectly set up for what I do. Hope it's still performing well for you.
Yep, they're still doing well. Just rotated and inspected them, in fact. The ST/MAXXs seem to be wearing a smidge faster than I thought they would, but nothing terrible. They are wearing evenly, and are still smooth and quiet.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
First and foremost a great looking truck, few venture into setting up GMT900s for off-road adventures especially 2500s

Looks Great! How did you find the ride quality was stock? I've heard mixed reviews of the 2500 burbs and yukon XLs when it comes to ride quality.

I have both 1500 and 2500 Suburbans, and 2500 ride is that of a paint shaker, 1500 is a luxury sedan.

Ride is very subjective... it rides like one would expect a 2500HD pickup to ride because it's the pickup drivetrain and suspension with the burb/Yukon body thrown on. So It rides much harsher than the 1500s...which is why there are mixed reviews. I don't mind it because I bought it for the payload and towing capacity, not for smooth floaty ride quality.

Best ride quality description I have seen yet. It's a 2500HD pickup and drives as such. Put a pallet of cinder blocks on the back or hook up a 5k-10k trailer and the ride becomes much better and unlike a 1500 it's built for that kind of loads.

I wanna see more pics of the truck!

lilkia

Some of yall must have some delicate sensibilities. The 2500 burbs may be a bit stiffer but the ride isnt rough unless your suspension bushings are just worn out crap. The wife doesnt think ours rides any stiffer than my M5. Its stiff but not harsh. Our has less than 100k on it and with load E tires at 45psi (not towing or hauling) and it rides just fine. Unlike the coil spring 1500 it doesnt wallow down the highway like a 1970s cadillac. Its firm, planted and responsive like a vehicle should be. My k2500 ccsb (293k miles) used to ride like a paint shaker and then I put all new bushings and suspension bits and it rides quite nicely now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles