Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any GMT900 Suburban/XL 2500 builds here?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
    Not sure if you've come across it yet, but there's a FB group "2500 (3/4-ton) Suburban/YukonXL Owners" and there's usually links to some nice ones for sale. There's actually a really nice 2013 for under $20k that someone just posted.... if I was still in the market id already have a deposit on it!
    Yeah, I saw that one - it's a great deal for what it is, but it's a pretty base LS. I'm picky, I'm looking for a loaded LT with nav and moonroof.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep-N-montero View Post
    Any reason to not run 255/85r16's, they measure 33.4 inches if memory serves and should require no trimming.
    Yes, they do fit. I bought my 2010 2500 Suburban with a 2 inch torsion key lift and 285/65-18's on aftermarket wheels, and they rubbed under mild compression while turning. Switched to 255/85-16's (Cooper ST/MAXX) on stock steelies, which are the same diameter, and they clear nicely. Personally, I actually prefer the skinnier look compared to what I had before (more industrial, less bro-truck), but I understand everyone has their own taste.

Quote Originally Posted by tacobronco View Post
    Yes, they do fit. I bought my 2010 2500 Suburban with a 2 inch torsion key lift and 285/65-18's on aftermarket wheels, and they rubbed under mild compression while turning. Switched to 255/85-16's (Cooper ST/MAXX) on stock steelies, which are the same diameter, and they clear nicely. Personally, I actually prefer the skinnier look compared to what I had before (more industrial, less bro-truck), but I understand everyone has their own taste.
    Let's see some pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2000 Land Cruiser
    2006 LR3

Quote Originally Posted by tacobronco View Post
    I actually prefer the skinnier look compared to what I had before (more industrial, less bro-truck), but I understand everyone has their own taste.
    I hear that. While I don't like the skinnier look, you have no clue how much i struggle with wheel selection as most are overly flashy/gaudy. I like simpler cleaner designs, but they're few and far between, and normally when I find one I like they dont come in the correct size or offset. I've contemplated going with the 17" Mickey Thompson Classic III to get the more rugged look back, less SEMA'ish.
    2012 GMC Yukon XL 2500
    Current Setup: No lift, trimming, 305/60/18 ATZ P3s
    Coming Soon: Cognito 4-6", ~35" STT Pro's, 4.56 gears

Getting back to the GSU (Giant Silver Unicorn)... after I sold my Jeep last year I used some of the money to upgrade from the factory running boards to AMP Research Powersteps. Probably not the best idea for overland type use as they catch less (like none at all) road debris, more moving parts, etc etc, BUT they come down lower when extended which helps the kids get in, which I guess is my way to justify these as more than a purely cosmetic upgrade

One thing they do well is make the GSU look like its lifted. I've had multiple incidents of people asking about the lift, most famously was at the scummy dealership service department when they tried to circumvent a warranty claim but using my "lift" as an excuse not to cover the repair. They sure felt like idiots when I told them to go take another look at the truck and call me back when they tell me which lift kit is installed. Tthe next call i got from them was "repairs are done" ... and yes, i verified they were done before leaving lol

On to the pictures..

Stock Running Boards

20170408_094235_zps7simhavg.jpg

AMP's retracted

20170408_145759_zps5seqmxfp.jpg

AMP's Extended

20170408_145644_zps54trchuk.jpg

Well that pretty much brings this up to speed with where my build currently sits. Tomorrow I'll be test fitting my wheels on a lift spindle, and I really hope they fit because my plans for Presidents Day weekend got cancelled.... so if I my current wheels fit, I'll be installing the lift that weekend, a month sooner than planned

2017-06-15 10.36.42.jpg
    2012 GMC Yukon XL 2500
    Current Setup: No lift, trimming, 305/60/18 ATZ P3s
    Coming Soon: Cognito 4-6", ~35" STT Pro's, 4.56 gears

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123