Boy Scout trailer build

Drake9

Hello my name is Jake and this will be my first trailer/camper build. I have been lurking on here for a few months now looking at other builds and trying to get some ideas. The purpose of the trailer will be provide a primitive base camp for hunting/off-road trips and be used on the occasional camp ground trip with friends and family.

I was going back in forth on what type of trailer I wanted (utility type trailer with RTT or teardrop with RTT) and have decided for this first build I will go with a cheaper more basic build and maybe eventually build a teardrop style trailer (for the entire family 3-4 plus possible dog). I also went back and forth on if I wanted to start from scratch or find something to use as a base and build from there.

I was cruising CL and found this old Boy Scout trailer (hence the name of the thread) for $150, after checking it out I decided that it would make a decent base to start and drug it home.

Immediate wants

Rack for RTT
Storage area
Table/prep area
Kitchen area with 2 burner stove and wash tub
Propane
Water storage
Fuel storage
Deck/area for extra sleeper or 2
Rear hitch receiver
Removable/changeable tow ball/lock n roll
Stabilizing jacks
Higher ground clearance

Future wants

On board water
Solar system and batteries
Lights
Canvas cover
Matching rims and tires to tow vehicle
Shower area with heated water (solar or on demand)
Awning

Here is what I started with
IMG_4293.jpg
IMG_3964.JPG

I had to cut the top rack/rail off to fit it into the garage
IMG_4296.jpg

There is some rust/rot about 29" up on the inside.
IMG_3962.JPG
IMG_3961.JPG

I am planning on cutting right below that to remove the top. Then I plan on using some square tubing to frame the sides in and add strength back in.

I am also considering flipping the drop axle to give me some added ground clearance. Would love to hear thoughts on that.

Last edited:

Drake9

Yeah it is bigger then I wanted but the price seemed good. Since it is not exactly what I want and I know I will be building another in the future I trying to figure out what I should do to it. I don’t want to put a bunch of time or money into it I know I am not going to keep it in the long run, but then again I want it to be useful. Pretty sure my design and the final product might not look like I want it to but as long as it does everything I want it to I should be happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
I don't know why boy scouts need such beastly trailers...lol? Ours was a converted '55 chevy pickup bed with a homemade wood topper. Good thing our scoutmaster had a 1 ton.

Cool trailer though. I'm sure you can cut a bunch of weight if you want to.

Drake9

The tow vehicle is a lifted Sequoia. I am hoping to cut a bunch of weight. I have access to a scale, I should have weighed it as I bought it and then after to see the difference. I was talking with my buddy who is going to help me with it. Lots of ideas like pull out kitchen, solar and batteries, etc but in the end I think we decided to just make an open utility style trailer with a rack to mount the tent. Do a kitchen in a box that can be moved around and just use folding tables for now. Maybe fab up a mount of some sort to attach a table on the side. Probably build a spot to tie down a propane bottle or 2. Going to work on it tomorrow so I will post up some more pictures after that.

Drake9

Well, didn’t get as much done on the trailer as I was hoping. My buddy had to leave early. We did get the top cut off and started some prepping. We noticed that when we cut the top off that the sides wanted to get all bowed out and did t stay straight. So we decided that we would tack the support metal onto the sides before we cut them down anymore. Hopefully this will make the process a little easier. Here are some pictures

d28e038b95720e8e39590e8f30f44c78.jpg
21bbd967befb707c17ac2054e4df1a3d.jpg
27d255468b29391f763ba7614603ae34.jpg
a4e3800dc2f6414870d41eb9aad6a2ab.jpg

Drake9

Nice! Do you plan on keeping ramp for four wheelers, dirt bikes, etc?

Yeah at this point I think so. This will likely be used when we go hunting so the ability to get a quad in there would be beneficial I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles