Treating rain fly on RTT/Smittybuilt overlander

captwoody

Adventurer
As it rains today I was thinking what do you re-treat your Tent/tents rain fly with? I have a smittybuilt overlander (4yrs old) but its only been rained on twice. First time with no rain fly to seal threads from sewing. Got a small corner leak that I sealed and second time with fly no leaks. Other than velcro hold down straps rotting(went to ratchet straps) and mattress being hard( supplemented with synmat megamat double) I am very happy with tent. Thanks Woody

from the SB instructions
"Well worn products may be re-proofed using a good quality waterproofing solution. This is highly recommended. Generally this is re-applied every 1-2 years depending on how much you use or clean the tent and what environments your tent has been used in. Some waterproofing agents may also contain UV inhibitors. 303 protectant fabric guard, Star Brite, Rain guard, Nikwax and Kiwi all offer polycotton safe waterproofing solutions. Most are a silicon based solution. "

I have used the 303 protectant on my tent as well as soft top on my other vehicles with good success. That solar proof stuff sounds like it would be a good thing for me to try next.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I did both on my Flippac. I wanted teh UV for the tent since I camp at the beach and it gets hours of sun, but it did a great job waterproofing it. The next time I did the fly. I do mine every other year with about 40 nights a year camping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles