Quote Originally Posted by ducktapeguy View Post
I have seen a couple of people do something like this. One idea was the winch sat on a plate and had 2 receiver tubes mounted to the bottom. The winch sat in the space between the bumper and the frame, and was locked in place with two x 2" long square tubes going through the bumper, though the receiver tubes on the winch mount, then into the crossmember. So the 2" tubes basically acted like really long pins. On the rear I don't remember if they had the same setup or pinned the locking tubes into the mount and just used it as a dual receiver mount cantilevered out back. But it looked like a much stronger design than just a normal receiver mount.

The most interesting idea I saw used a center mounted winch under the tub facing the rear. The cable would wind out the back, go through a snatch block, then run back under the vehicle through some pulleys or guides and exit out the front. When used it as a front mounted winch, the snatch block in the rear would be pinned in place, the cable would run through the snatch block, turn around and go through the front fairlead and it would act like a normal winch. To use it as a rear winch, the winch cable would be anchored in the front and the snatch block in the rear would be unpinned and used for rear recovery. So rear recovery was always a double line pull. Seems like that would be easier than moving a winch back and forth.
Oddly I've seen something similar to what you are describing in both examples. In the first the winch was on a plate with two 2" stubs that fit into receivers built into the bumpers- the bumpers looked kind of like the rear step bumpers on 1980s GMCs but designed for the winch to slide into. Novel idea but it looked like a PITA to move and I'm sure it had to be kept clean so it didn't rust or get stuck.

The second was on a 1970s truck that a fellow up near Clemson had when I was there in the 80s; the winch was mounted in the rear about where a spare tire would be these days. He could straight pull out the back but he could also connect a snatch block to the back side of the rear bumper so the cable could be redirected 180degrees out the front. He had a clevis in the front to keep the cable going straight. I never saw it in use but it didn't seem like the best of ideas to me.