Front facing or side facing

• Front facing toward the seats

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • side facing towards the side door

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

teddrover

Wondering if anyone has an opinion on having a couch to bed deck facing the front seats vs the side door in terms of usability of the open space in the van, storage ease of use, etc.

Corneilius

Adventurer
It all depends on what you'll be using the van for. My couch/bed faces the side doors. It leaves the center isle open for hauling plywood/bikes/dogs/dressers/other junk. It makes it easier to move from the front to the back, exit the rear doors etc.

Another thing to consider is how tall you are. If you can sleep East/West in your van you can have the best of both worlds.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Wondering if anyone has an opinion on having a couch to bed deck facing the front seats vs the side door in terms of usability of the open space in the van, storage ease of use, etc.

Yes, please describe your expected usage of the van. All floor layouts have their pros and cons you just have to pick the one that's right for you. But I agree it's not easy to decide without a bit of experience so tapping into this pool of knowledge is a good idea... we could just help you better with more info.

teddrover

usage...

It's going to be mostly a home base for climbing, biking, skiing, not a full time home. I'm not sure with the size of the express if we will spend too much time in the van, but for when it rains or after dark on cold nights, I hoped to be able to sit, play cards, eat indoors, etc.
Good point on storage, but does it matter if I can fit a piece of plywood flat on the bed or bikes on a hitch rack... ?

A little more on my plans:
For the bed, it has to be about 60x72, so not confident I can fit widthwise in the back. I'm 5'7".
Thinking about the couch to bed with either position, and a drawer out the rear.
I haven't decided if i will do a kitchen fixed behind the drivers seat or a pull out, out the side door.

and thank you all for your .02 :)

Last edited:

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
It's going to be mostly a home base for climbing, biking, skiing, not a full time home. I'm not sure with the size of the express if we will spend too much time in the van, but for when it rains or after dark on cold nights, I hoped to be able to sit, play cards, eat indoors, etc.
Good point on storage, but does it matter if I can fit a piece of plywood flat on the bed or bikes on a hitch rack... ?

A little more on my plans:
For the bed, it has to be about 60x72, so not confident I can fit lengthwise in the back. I'm 5'7".
Thinking about the couch to bed with either position, and a drawer out the rear.
I haven't decided if i will do a kitchen fixed behind the drivers seat or a pull out, out the side door.

and thank you all for your .02 :)

Make the bed as big as you can and use a standard mattress dimension. I'm 5'8", my wife is shorter and my dog is tiny. I feel like our double bed is tight. Your 60"x72" idea is good.

I prefer the couch front facing (basically a Westfalia set-up) because you can have a pivoting passenger seat. This makes it much more natural for eating and playing cards. You can get inspiration from the Safari Condo website.

Drawer out the rear is awesome but try to put your bed as high as possible. More storage underneath is better. Ideally you can store bikes underneath so you don't have to worry about them being stolen. You can't get much on the roof/sides anyway.

Try to design your kitchen to be indoor and outdoor. Removable camp stoves are better. I think this set-up (even if it's in a sprinter) is the best: aves_sin_rumbo.

One thing you didn't mention, and is worth mentioning sooner than later, is a high-top. Just saying that if/when you get older or end up using the van a lot... It's really worth it! It can be added later of course if you plan your build well.

On Belay

Observer
I tried a variety of setups before starting my permenant build out. Ultimately I'm a big fan of a couch/bed that faces the seats. With a swiveling passenger seat it creates a very useable interior space for multiple people. You have a central open space with everyone facing each other. It's less versatile for hauling or a table setup, but for me the van is a camping vehicle as opposed to hauling and a dedicated table space isn't much of a priority.

teddrover

I tried a variety of setups before starting my permenant build out. Ultimately I'm a big fan of a couch/bed that faces the seats. With a swiveling passenger seat it creates a very useable interior space for multiple people. You have a central open space with everyone facing each other. It's less versatile for hauling or a table setup, but for me the van is a camping vehicle as opposed to hauling and a dedicated table space isn't much of a priority.

FYI these pics were the final build after all the feedback . I still might add the swivel seat but that’s all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94