TERA TR-590 radio?

zuren

Adventurer
Does anyone have any experience with this radio?

https://powerwerx.com/tera-tr590-handheld-commercial-radio

There are not many reviews on the internet about it. I'm considering get rid of a Baofeng (with keypad but not Part 90 compliant) and a Wouxun (Part 90 compliant but no keypad) and replace with a single Part 90 radio that has a keypad. Many of the TERA offerings fall somewhere between a cheap Baofeng and an unaffordable top tier radio, so I'm curious.

Thanks!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The Powerwerx TR-590:

tera-tr-590-dual-band-vhfuhf-200-channel-handheld-commercial-radio_580.jpg

Looks very similar to the old Baofeng UV-B5 to me. Probably not identical, though. Powerwerx is an OK company so they'd probably stand behind it. I have a Powerwerx power supply that's been solid at least.

BaoFeng-UV-B5-Two-Way-Radio-Dual-Band-UHF-VHF-136-174-400-470MHz-UV-B5.jpg

zuren

Adventurer
The Powerwerx TR-590:

View attachment 431069

Looks very similar to the old Baofeng UV-B5 to me. Probably not identical, though. Powerwerx is an OK company so they'd probably stand behind it. I have a Powerwerx power supply that's been solid at least.

View attachment 431068

I haven't done a full comparison between the UV-B5 and the TERA TR-590 but some quick things I think I noticed about the TERA were:

- Part 90 compliant (I have stepped away from ski patrolling for now, but may go back and will need a Part 90 radio when I do)
- Has 3 Tx power levels vs. 2 on the UV-B5
- NOT supported by CHIRP programming software; looks like they were working on it but became blocked

Anyway, looks like the 590 has been out for a couple years but I find almost zero reviews of it. I know the lower end Baofeng's get dissed pretty hard for physical and signal quality but have been wondering about the Chinese radios in the $100-200 bracket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarCaveUSA