Battery Mount In-front or above the Rear Axle

depark

Observer
Hi Everyone,
This will be for a 2013 E350 RB. It has a dropped floor for my wheelchair. The floor sits on the frame rails. It has a 30 gallon after axle fuel tank making that not an option. I don't want to mount the house batteries on the passenger side frame rail because the batteries will hang lower than I would like. The two options I’m looking at are: 1) directly above the rear axle or 2) in front of the rear axle. I plan to mount the 2 batteries on their side to reduce their height. Has anyone tried to mount batteries in these locations? Are there any reasons why they shouldn’t be mounted there? I know that they will be a pain to access but that doesn’t bother me. Any advice and pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Darryl

Wyuna

Observer
Can't help you there, as i have a side lift in my VW Transporter camper,

but i have to think in front of the axle would be better, as long as they have a bit of protection.

interested in photos of the dropped floor, as can't say i've seen one before

derjack

Adventurer
Image that your axle can possibly fully "contract" up the rubber bumper [don´t know the correct terminus / translation right now]. Though, from my eyball measurement :Wow1: this shouldn´t be an issue.
In general batteries are heavy pics, my optima 66ah are 22,7 kg each / aka 50 pounds. In an accident these MUST not move! But this is possible of course.

The batteries in my 93 are mounted in the engine bay. I don´t like that: #1 its is too tight for the second one. #2 50 kg weight very high mounted, the frame is 1 meter lower! #3 weight distribution between front and rear will be improved. at the time at my truck is 300kg more in the front.

I want to place them to the frame, as this is a strong part. Probably right side under codrivers door. My 2 Ct

My other 2 Ct are: I would suggest to mount to the frame not to the crossmembers. Batteries should be relatively easy accessible, weather in emergency like an electrical fire or to jump start, unplug to load them externally.

The last 2 Ct are: Batterie cables are expensive! The longer the bigger the diameter the more expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier