Anybody still carrying a Hi Lift Jack?

DVexile

Adventurer
I carried one for about 15 years and never used it. I had other recovery tools that were better, safer and lighter.

I don't carry one anymore *especially* because I mostly travel solo. Too much risk. Yeah, yeah - "its a tool, treat it with respect, blah, blah". That's BS. I've watched "experienced" users use them including 4x4 guides leading paid expeditions. They all eventually end up with "get-unstuck-itis" and get into a situation where there could be a serious injury from using the jack. People - even experienced people - have an amazingly poor understanding of mechanics and physics as applied in the real world on the trail. Fortunately just because you put yourself in harm's way doesn't mean you'll necessarily get harmed - so in general in the vast, vast majority of cases they really are "safe" even though often used in too risky a manner.

Now out with a group or at least a passenger and take a whack from the jack and you've got someone to render aid or extract your unconscious ***. By yourself? No - otherwise "minor" injuries can turn into fatalities.

So for me a hi-lift is worthless because I would never consider using it when solo. I've got other better tools. And if they don't work I've got reliable comms to get help.

But that's just me, again in a group with care it obviously can be a useful tool. Too often though I see people doing questionable things with them and the closer they think they are to "unstuck" the more sketchy they get with them.

borison

Adventurer
I carried one for about 15 years and never used it. I had other recovery tools that were better, safer and lighter.

I don't carry one anymore *especially* because I mostly travel solo. Too much risk. Yeah, yeah - "its a tool, treat it with respect, blah, blah". That's BS. I've watched "experienced" users use them including 4x4 guides leading paid expeditions. They all eventually end up with "get-unstuck-itis" and get into a situation where there could be a serious injury from using the jack. People - even experienced people - have an amazingly poor understanding of mechanics and physics as applied in the real world on the trail. Fortunately just because you put yourself in harm's way doesn't mean you'll necessarily get harmed - so in general in the vast, vast majority of cases they really are "safe" even though often used in too risky a manner.

Now out with a group or at least a passenger and take a whack from the jack and you've got someone to render aid or extract your unconscious ***. By yourself? No - otherwise "minor" injuries can turn into fatalities.

So for me a hi-lift is worthless because I would never consider using it when solo. I've got other better tools. And if they don't work I've got reliable comms to get help.

But that's just me, again in a group with care it obviously can be a useful tool. Too often though I see people doing questionable things with them and the closer they think they are to "unstuck" the more sketchy they get with them.

When I first read this post I thought it was funny. I'm not a true off roader or over lander and I've never carried or used a hi-lift. From reading and viewing, I figured the jack was a qualifier for real status. Recently at a family event, I listened to my uncle, a farmer, and a former farm implement salesman and Jeep off-roader discuss a family member who had been severely injured with a hi-lift type jack. The Jeep off roader said, “the first you should do with those things, is weld ‘em shut” to which the farmer agreed.

DorB

Adventurer
Yes, still carrying it.

It’s bolted to the truck’s bed for about 20years.
It gets out to work about once a year, but when it does, it has exactly the advantage over other recovery gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles