Driving LR3 in North central Mexico???

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Anyone have any experiences driving a modern rover in Mexico??? I have been driving down there for years but never in a New kited Truck. headed to Monetary and then west. I'm headed down to do some climbing and bolting in February.

rcharrette

Adventurer
Yes

In 2013 we drove out 08 LR3 fromColorado to Sayulita and spent 3 months down there. We had no problems driving down sticking to toll roads as much as possible and once in Sayulita we drove around there and Puerto Vallerta almost daily without any problems. Other things happened down there that are well documented but driving and getting around were never a problem and we were never hassles in our Rover. Also, we were a family of 4 with 2 younger boys so I assume Police. etc tended to leave us alone in general.
Good luck,

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I'm not really worried about being in mexico or the gas down there. The State department make it sound like you will die if you go there. I'm more concerned about the attention the truck might bring form law enforcement. I have never been scared to drive in mexico. I have done it for years but never in a Modern "Rich Mans" car...

Jwestpro

Explorer
I'm not really worried about being in mexico or the gas down there. The State department make it sound like you will die if you go there. I'm more concerned about the attention the truck might bring form law enforcement. I have never been scared to drive in mexico. I have done it for years but never in a Modern "Rich Mans" car...

Along those lines of thinking, I wonder if a Disco2 is just as "fancy" to most people. Probably has to be older or more boring to not be pegged as naive white man $ from the north.

JackW

Explorer
Best reason I can think of to bury a couple suitable firearms inside the vehicle.

You really don't want to do that in Mexico - even possessing a single round of ammunition can land you in a word of hurt with the Federales...

Jwestpro

Explorer
You really don't want to do that in Mexico - even possessing a single round of ammunition can land you in a word of hurt with the Federales...

I hadn't subscribed so I missed the helpful replies. Thx. I suppose but what's a family to do for safety? I'm pretty sure we can go into Canada with proper rifles to hunt, not Mexico? I mean through legal methods.

Ray_G

Explorer
Safety = common sense, not really having a firearm (most of the time). Quite frankly for most having a firearm won't make them safer, and may contribute to to it being more dangerous.

That's just my opinion, and experience from being all over places like Pakistan where all the guns we had didn't make us safer, but the times when you are out and intelligently interacting with the local populace you are safe as anywhere else in the world.

I'd want a long gun in Canada, for bears.

As an aside, the State Dept travel warnings are incredibly risk averse-they can't tell Americans 'something might happen, especially if you are a **************' so they have to be dire...

R-
Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
For hunting there is a lot of paper work to fill out with the government to make sure you don’t sell them. I have a high school buddy that had a spint shell in his truck and they found it when he went over for lunch one weekend. They arrests him for a gun smuggling and inpounded his truck. It took the better part of the weekend and about 20000 to get him out of jail and I’m not sure if they ever got his truck out.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Traveled from Belize to Guatemala then north through Mexico with a new Defender 130 couple years ago- zero issues. Had wife and 2 kids with me.Conversely did the same trip few years prior in a 110 and a few years prior to that on motorcycles- lots of 'looks', kept parked under cover as much as possible. The family trip was much different in many regards- lots of good advice from Police instead of difficulties. Just exercise the big muscle on top of your shoulders, and should be fine.

medicfernando

Adventurer
This:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/01/11/mexico-travel-warning-u-s-urges-citizens-avoid-5-mexican-states/1023620001/

Also you never know what you are going to get out of the gas pumps. I would bring a full 5 gallon can of gas from home and a spare fuel filter or two.

Makes me wonder, if the World media constantly published the violence and murder rates in major US cities, no one would ever come here either. Be smart, don't drive at night, don't get yourself into situations you shouldn't and enjoy. Mexico is beautiful and for the most part, safe. And, don't bribe crooked cops! That will only perpetuate the problem and ruin it for others. And if you are caught with a firearm, you will end up in a Mexican prison with big problems! Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles