Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rear bumper ski rack ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Comanche Scott View Post
    I've bashed mine through trees, dropped it off the roof loaded and unloaded with stuff. Definitely has some scrapes, but no damage. Not sure where the "fragile" thing came from. Unless they are talking about when the box is open, and has no support. I can tell you from real world experience, when the box is closed it is pretty darned tough.
    Exactly, they’re not fragile at all. I’ve worked around Thule and Yakima warranty claims, and have my own cargo boxes. They’re quite durable.

Quote Originally Posted by Comanche Scott View Post
    I've bashed mine through trees, dropped it off the roof loaded and unloaded with stuff. Definitely has some scrapes, but no damage. Not sure where the "fragile" thing came from. Unless they are talking about when the box is open, and has no support. I can tell you from real world experience, when the box is closed it is pretty darned tough.
    It depends quite a bit on temperature. Over the years I've had several shatter on me in very cold weather.
    Kind Regards,
    Greg Potter
    1982 Unimog U1300L
    2012 JKU AEV 4.5 on 37's + James Baroud Evasion RTT

Quote Originally Posted by greg.potter View Post
    It depends quite a bit on temperature. Over the years I've had several shatter on me in very cold weather.
    What is the advantage that keeps bringing you back to them over something else?
    I doubt mine has ever been below 0*F, but it has seen some serious windchill, and has been hit a time or two by something thrown up from the vehicle in front.

They sell hitch mounted ski carriers. Why not add a 2” receiver to your design and plug one of those in there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12