Newbie Trailer Build Questions

Emart

Hi everyone, new member here, seeking some opinions and or advice for a new trailer build. First off, WOW, great site! Tons of info and creative people, building some awesome stuff.

I have just started planning, a mild, off-road camper. I'm leaning more towards the boxy style (hiker or rover) vs the curves of a standard teardrop, just seems easier to build, at least starting out. I'm thinking around 5x8 or so, with the trailer frame being built from 2"x3"x11ga (.120 wall) with a wrap around tongue. My thoughts for the actual camper box are, a lightweight steel frame, with 1" of rigid insulation everywhere, 1/4" ply on the inside and 1/2" quality ply on the exterior sides and roof, 3/4" on floor.

Anyway I'm curious about a few things,

Steel vs wood frame for the box, pros and cons. I was thinking 1"x1"x14ga if I went steel (weighs 1.04 lbs a ft) or 2"x4" if wood was the choice, not sure what a standard 2x4 weighs a ft. pretty close to that though. What issues have you guys ran into while constructing either? Did you put any type of bedliner over the steel? Did it make the interior noticably hot/cold?

CPES and durabak/paint VS Fiberglass and gelcoat/topcoat VS aluminum skins: CPES seems the most economical and fast, fiberglass would be excellent waterproofing but slow and expensive, I don't know anything about aluminium skins. Your thoughts and or experiences.

Rear hatch: I'm torn on the design, the vertical opening galley door has a certain "cool" factor but how many of you experienced leaks or the struts failing? If you built a vertical opening door, would you do it again, after using your trailer and seeing how it performs? A single or even double swing door seems easier and I envision being able to create counter space with them. Opinions?

Insulation: 1" is that enough?

I will leave it at that for now.

Thank You!!

OnBeechRoad

Observer
Use steel studs. Cover with 1/4" marine grade plywood...not pressure treated, then cover with smooth laminate, yes the stuff to make countertops with, scuff it and paint it.

ottsville

Observer
I built an off road teardrop trailer last winter (2016-2017) after learning as much as I could off the web and I feel it was extremely successful, I get a lot of compliments once we got it out late last summer.View attachment 432298

Checkout my blog for details of my 33 week build http://www.mxbuild.blogspot.com

I'm working my way through your build blog. You did a really nice job with the camper and with documenting it. One question so far - why didn't you cut your wall panels out(or at least to final shape) with a router?

ottsville

Observer
Insulation: 1" is that enough?

Thank You!!

Unless you are in extreme temperatures, 1" will be fine. Just remember to provide ventilation - you'd be surprised how much moisture from breathing one or two people in a space that size create.

b63215b

Adventurer
Why not fiberglass and paint? Get some west Systems Epoxy and you will be good to go, double up your seams.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles