Dometic CF series V. CFX series - what's the diff

Looking at Dometic 12v units.

May be missing something, but seems the CF series is referred to as a cooler/frig/freezer and the CFX is a frig/freezer. What is the difference, if any?

are there any advice/opinions or experience on either/both as a recommendation for a Truck mounted, 2d battery powered unit.

thanks
Mark

v_man

Explorer
We've had the cfx-50 for about 6 months. It's been flawless and a camping game changer for us. I think my favorite thing is that it doubles as the garage beer fridge as it runs on 110v as well. Very low power draw and I also run it off a second battery...

wadle5

Happily lost and wandering
We've had the cfx-50 for about 6 months. It's been flawless and a camping game changer for us. I think my favorite thing is that it doubles as the garage beer fridge as it runs on 110v as well. Very low power draw and I also run it off a second battery...
I was looking into this as an option for dual purpose mancave(garage) fridge as well as for our road trips. So the fridge doesn’t have an issue running all day in the garage?

rickc

Adventurer
These fridges are the same as a household fridge; they don't run all the time but cycle on and off. They need ventilation and have to work harder if the ambient temperature is higher so an insulator is a good idea if your garage is warm.

v_man

Explorer
I was looking into this as an option for dual purpose mancave(garage) fridge as well as for our road trips. So the fridge doesn’t have an issue running all day in the garage?

No issue. It's been running in my garage for about a year. Plenty of guys have had them plugged in for years, either in their car of home...

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Looking at Dometic 12v units.

May be missing something, but seems the CF series is referred to as a cooler/frig/freezer and the CFX is a frig/freezer. What is the difference, if any?

are there any advice/opinions or experience on either/both as a recommendation for a Truck mounted, 2d battery powered unit.

thanks
Mark
I am sure that some of their models can freeze down to 15*c and some to -18*c and the rest they say go down to -22*c, The Standard freezer temp should be -18*c and there is nothing to support that being able to freeze food down to -22*c is any benefit, In fact food does start to deteriorate when frozen below -18*c/0*f. And when stored at around -12*c it will loose about 80% of it's goodness, I have spent over 600 hours testing my fridge freezer and when you set a freezer down to -18*c/0*f they actually drop to around -22*/-7.6*f and then settles at -18*c/0*f. So buying a freezer that they claim goes down to -22*c is pointless,

The FDA in the U.S.A. and the Australian Standards for Fridges, clearly state that -18*c/0*f has a big impact of the quality of the food being stored and the Ideal balance between the quality of the food and the amount of energy being consumed.

hope that helps.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles