285/75R18 AT tires: A good choice for expedition-travel, domestic full-size trucks?

Given the purpose this truck will be used for, I would go for:

• Toyo Open Country MT 315/75R16 tires

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Im running 285/75R18 Load E Toyo AT2's on the new truck.

They have the massive 4080lb @ 80PSI load rating, that will allow me to run them at substantially lower pressures at my projected curb weight.
Even with the truck built out, camper loaded, and wet, I will be able to run them at less than 60PSI.

More resistant to damage, and considerably better ride.

SD00012.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Not at all. And I'm running them below 50-PSI right now, running empty

Although I havn't had any serious weight on the truck yet.

Perhaps they make more noise when loaded?

LJinLA

Observer
I'd thought I'd read mention of foreign travel when I skimmed the topic, true 'expedition' driving. Staying in the states I wouldn't much worry about tire availability. Except in the hinterlands of Canada or the inter-mountain West.

Forgot to comment on width. Two primary factors. Your 'pizza cutter' tires will have less rolling resistance and could afford an increase in mpg. No small consideration if your trips will be treks of thousands of miles. Particularly when 95%+ of the travel will be on paved roads. The other major consideration is the terrain you'll mostly be using the vehicle in. Do you want to cut thru light snow and mud to get traction, or do you need flotation / less ground pressure over worse mud / snow and sand? Everything else about it is just style points.

Well, the thing is there will likely be trips to Mexico and Canada, but 90% of traveling will be done within the US.

I expect driving will be about 70% highway miles, 20% country roads, maybe 9% light trails with a remaining 1% more difficult trails, occasionally. And there will surely be situations in which there will be snow and a need to cut trough mud to get traction. I'd be tempted to go with an AT like the Toyo AT2's which seem to be a very popular choice according to the poll here, but the idea of getting stuck in mud at some remote site (even though that is likely to happen only very occasionally) motivates me to go to an AT/mud hybrid such as the Cooper ST Maxx's and other similar tires or even take into consideration a full mud tire such as the Toyo MT, though the latter does not seem to be a very popular choice.

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Idaho do you find them loud? I run mine at 55psi and they sound like a mud terrain tire.

They're not as quiet as say a Cooper AT3 but the Toyo AT2's are very quiet compared to a Toyo MT which I had previously.
The Cooper ST Max is about $70 a tire more expensive than the Toyo AT2's in a 285-75-17 size at Discount Tire Direct.
They don't list a Cooper ST Maxx in a 285-75-18.

Last edited:

LJinLA

Observer
You could split the difference between a Toyo MT /AT with a Toyo RT.

Sure, thanks for pointing this out! They have an E load rating in both the 285/75R18 and 315/75R16 sizes, and seem to be a good alternative to take into consideration.

LJinLA

Observer
Im running 285/75R18 Load E Toyo AT2's on the new truck.

They have the massive 4080lb @ 80PSI load rating, that will allow me to run them at substantially lower pressures at my projected curb weight.
Even with the truck built out, camper loaded, and wet, I will be able to run them at less than 60PSI.

More resistant to damage, and considerably better ride.

SD00012.jpg

How long have you had them and I was wondering how they perform for you on wet roads and slightly muddy trails/country roads, if your driving includes any.
What's the approximate weight of your truck, fully loaded? Thanks for your feedback, it is much appreciated..

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
The 285/75R18 tire ont he new truck havnt seen more than a few thousand miles.
And I have yet to put any weight on it yet. Empty it weighs just about 6800lbs

The old truck and camper combo have been running the same Toyo AT2s (although not "extreme" version due to size) for nearly 40k miles now.
The truck with camper, fully loaded weighs in right at 10,000lbs

For a non-dedicated winter tire, they are hand down the best tire Ive ever had on the truck.

Plenty of snow trips, and a few muddy trails (nothing serious).
Even worn well past 50%, they continue to impress.

002.jpg

FYI, we live on the top of a hill in town, with a pretty steep road.
These are the only tires Ive had on the old truck that have made it possible to get up the hill in the winter (snow/ice/slush road) when the truck was unloaded, in 2wd.

All the previous tires required me to be in 4wd. That includes the BFG KO2 and BFG Commercial Traction TA

toastyjosh

Adventurer
I have had the 285/7516 on both of my second gens, both 5 speed both 3.55. It is a good size tire, my 99 had stock rims and my 98 has some method aftermarket. The 98 sticks out a little more than the stock rims did.

I have used cooper st maxx on my work trucks and hands down we got the most life out of them, way better than Ko's, duratracks, Do check on 255/85r16 foa a size as well. They do have that size for the ST MAXx.

Cooper and toyo's are great tires

LJinLA

Observer
The 285/75R18 tire ont he new truck havnt seen more than a few thousand miles.
And I have yet to put any weight on it yet. Empty it weighs just about 6800lbs

The old truck and camper combo have been running the same Toyo AT2s (although not "extreme" version due to size) for nearly 40k miles now.
The truck with camper, fully loaded weighs in right at 10,000lbs

For a non-dedicated winter tire, they are hand down the best tire Ive ever had on the truck.

Plenty of snow trips, and a few muddy trails (nothing serious).
Even worn well past 50%, they continue to impress.

002.jpg

FYI, we live on the top of a hill in town, with a pretty steep road.
These are the only tires Ive had on the old truck that have made it possible to get up the hill in the winter (snow/ice/slush road) when the truck was unloaded, in 2wd.

All the previous tires required me to be in 4wd. That includes the BFG KO2 and BFG Commercial Traction TA

Thanks so very much for your feedback on the AT2's, it is much appreciated. What's the size of the Toyo AT2's on your old truck with camper?

LJinLA

Observer
I have had the 285/7516 on both of my second gens, both 5 speed both 3.55. It is a good size tire, my 99 had stock rims and my 98 has some method aftermarket. The 98 sticks out a little more than the stock rims did.

I have used cooper st maxx on my work trucks and hands down we got the most life out of them, way better than Ko's, duratracks, Do check on 255/85r16 foa a size as well. They do have that size for the ST MAXx.

Cooper and toyo's are great tires

Thanks so very much as well for your feedback! Sure, I've been considering the 255/85R16's as well. My only concern about this tire size is that they might wear out pretty quickly on a full-size truck.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Your welcome.

They are 265/75r16's

When we pushed the old truck to near full-time camper duties, we changed the old trusty 235/85r16's out for 265/75r16's

The change was a wider tire but same diameter, that provided another #400 or so of payload per tire, allowing us to operate at lower pressures, and float a bit more on soft stuff.

LJinLA

Observer
Your welcome.

They are 265/75r16's

When we pushed the old truck to near full-time camper duties, we changed the old trusty 235/85r16's out for 265/75r16's

The change was a wider tire but same diameter, that provided another #400 or so of payload per tire, allowing us to operate at lower pressures, and float a bit more on soft stuff.

Thanks for the info! I think along the same lines...preferring a higher payload for doing just that.
Would you consider putting 285/75R18 AT2's on your old truck with camper, or do you think that would result in a too low ratio at the rear axle with your current gears?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
By design, I geared the old truck tall (3:55's) and run stock diameter tires.

The result is incredible fuel MPG and low RPM, quiet highway running.

If I still had 4:10s, I would consider taller tires, but with 3:55s, not a chance.

The old chipped 7.3 powerstroke is a great motor, but it simply doesnt have the power to turn big rubber with tall gears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior