Rio Grande Big Bend Exploration

DVD

Adventurer
Great photos, PetitFrereArmada.
This drone view might be my fave:
mAYbNIe.jpg

It really is a special place. The Boquillas crossing looked a bit more crowded than when we were there in late December - nobody was wading across on the cold December day when we visited.

Hi Mass, you asked:
Do you have a name/MGRS/Lat/Long for this site?
I don't have the gps coordinates, but it's one of the official backcountry campsites in BBNP. This photo you asked about was taken at the Loop Campsite #1, which is easy to look up and what you'd need to know to reserve the campsite. It was really cool to walk down to the Rio Grande, and the views of the river and Chisos Mt beyond are stunning.

Last edited:

Ashton

I remember a great night spent drinking at the Thirsty Goat in Lajitas, cigars and basketball rounded out the evening. I remember watching people play on the golf course there, wacking balls over the river to one of the only international golf holes in the world. Was a great experience, looking forward to my next trip down there.

Rob Felicci

Amazing pics and superb writing. Can I ask in this forum how do you feel traveling in this area just with your wife or with a teenager girl. I love the idea but hate the risk and my family is not that inclined to do this trip. How did you feel there and how safe could it be? Should I just chillax and not worry? Thanks

Ashton

Amazing pics and superb writing. Can I ask in this forum how do you feel traveling in this area just with your wife or with a teenager girl. I love the idea but hate the risk and my family is not that inclined to do this trip. How did you feel there and how safe could it be? Should I just chillax and not worry? Thanks

There is no reason to have any fear of taking a family into this environment, many do it and it is heavily touristy. There is law enforcement around, and it is considered very safe. Women are not at any more risk than males, for any reason, and the people in and around the mexican border and towns are all friendly, kind and helpful.

My wife and I were just down there two weeks ago. We did not travel in the back country, except on foot, and I can reassure you that it is a perfectly safe place. I would not hesitate to travel there with children, elderly, whatever.

Umbrarian

Observer

It is a remote area, there is always risk. Violent crime is rare, but petty theft occurs. I have never seen LE in the park, ever. Outside of the visitor centers, have never seen a Park Ranger (non-LE). I have done several hikes and trails and not seen anyone all day. IMO, the biggest risk is injury, not crime. With that said, popular areas always have people coming and going when I was there. Any US city is far more dangerous than BBNP.

ITTOG

Great write up. Definitely helps with my planning.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles