1995 4Runner DD/Adventure "Killbox"

O.B.A.K

Although not my favorite 4Runner rims of all time, they look so much better than any aftermarket option. Toyota wheels-yes, an improvement. Excellent photos accompanying the descriptions of your work.:)

Thanks B.C, appreciate it. And, yes, they arent the greatest but worlds better than steels.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
My mom had a 95 SR5 4x4 in that same color when I was a kid. We only had it til about 65k miles, so we never had to deal with the repairs and maintenance that you've done. I look forward to following your build. Nice work!

O.B.A.K

My mom had a 95 SR5 4x4 in that same color when I was a kid. We only had it til about 65k miles, so we never had to deal with the repairs and maintenance that you've done. I look forward to following your build. Nice work!

Thanks duckhunter! Its a special color. Could you imagine how much a 95 would go now with 65k on the clock!? Wild.

Great looking truck! Getting a new 3.0 in mine as I write this. Can't wait to get back on the road! See you out there.

Hope your 3.0 went in smoothly, thanks for the compliment! See you out there!

RobD

I did the 3.4 swap into my old 1991 years ago. Worth every penny, curse word, and bloodied knuckle. No comparison between that boat anchor 3.0 and the 3.4.

O.B.A.K

I did the 3.4 swap into my old 1991 years ago. Worth every penny, curse word, and bloodied knuckle. No comparison between that boat anchor 3.0 and the 3.4.

Thanks for reading and your input Rob. I am definetly looking forward to the power, but I have to say even coming off a 22 I am impressed with the v6 powerband.

I am sure the 3.4 blows the 3vz out of the water. Don’t tease me!

How did your swap do for gas mileage? What kind of gears/tire size were you running?

Arktikos

Explorer
Thanks for reading and your input Rob. I am definetly looking forward to the power, but I have to say even coming off a 22 I am impressed with the v6 powerband.

I am sure the 3.4 blows the 3vz out of the water. Don't tease me!

How did your swap do for gas mileage? What kind of gears/tire size were you running?

Having owned both, it's true that the 3.4 has a lot more guts than the 3.0. Additionally, the 3.4 delivers better MPG. My 3.4 2001 4Runner with auto and stock 31's would get a bit over 20 MPG on the highway, while the 3.0 auto can only manage 18 with stock 29's. Got rid of 2001 for other reasons than the engine. It's a winner, for sure.

Crenshaw

Adventurer
My 3.4 swap is definitely the best thing I ever did for my truck. I still see 20+ mpg on the highway with 4.88s and 33s.

RobD

I am sure the 3.4 blows the 3vz out of the water. Don't tease me!

With the stock gearing (4.10s?) and 33x10.5/15 Goodrich All Terrain T/A KOs, it was pretty good. I'd say low 20s. Certainly as good, if not better, than the 3.0. Hills I used to have to take in 3rd was a breeze in 4th, sometimes 5th.

Unfortunately, I killed the 4Runner years ago and it's been sitting beside my garage, rusting slowly, awaiting a rebuild. Just too many other projects ahead of it. But definitely a whole new vehicle with the 3.4, especially when you pass other hapless 3.0 drivers :)

_ExpeditionMan

Adventurer
LCE EGR Delete

How do you like the EGR delete kit? Notice any difference after you installed it? I ordered the kit for my 2nd gen and will be installing it this weekend. Looks fairly straight forward. Also nice work on the truck, it is very similar to what I have done, though I have not updated my thread in quite a while.

O.B.A.K

Didn’t have a baseline for the 3.0, but on my 22re just felt like it ran better. No major power increase, just smoother (could have been in my mind). Main goal was getting rid of crap in the engine bay and inside the engine.

Install was straightforward, though I had to buy new gaskets that didn’t come with the kit, and had to tighten the plate on my intake manifold more than I was comfortable with-and still had a minuscule leak as found by the carb spray test.

Awesome producut, LCE is a great company full of guys who actually run their products on their own rides.

Update your build!

O.B.A.K

Took a trip a few weeks ago for her first extended-range trip, about 500 miles round trip. Everything performed well, and I even scored 19 MPG on a tank up and through the mountains. I pulled the trigger on a Tepui Autana 3 tent and awning, should be coming in later this week and mounted up this weekend. Also planning on putting on a 4crawler Panhard bar drop to get the rear suspension back to its happy place. Its feeling like summer up here in Alaska!IMG_4813.jpgIMG_4803.jpgIMG_4820.jpgIMG_4828.jpgIMG_4723.jpgIMG_4712.jpgIMG_4698.jpgIMG_4699.jpg

O.B.A.K

Got the Tepui mounted up last night.

Took quite a bit of work to get it all sorted out and on, about 5 hours. A chop saw came in handy to cut the mounting rails for rear deployment, as well as cutting down the awning mounts to fit on the outer edge of the Yakima bars. I initially wanted to use three Yakima bars, and purchase an extra set of mounting brackets for the tent but they were out of stock everywhere. I am glad I didn't go that route because my gutter mounts on the cab area fit perfectly in the middle of the mounting rails. I ended up using my two OEM roof rails with the Yakima mounts reversed outward for the same reason as stated above. The tent is offset just a touch to give room for the awning, and it is still close enough that the protective flap on the zipper won't tuck behind the awning. Drilled through the round bars and used some nice 17mm bolts to attach the awning. I utilized one of the gutter mount bars and wind fairing just fore of the tent for wind diversion, I'm sure it helps some but it is still a kite.

Overall I am happy with the way it turned out, the rear tailgate has tons of protection to work off the tailgate and although the weight is high it is centered over the rear axle. I am sure glad I decided not to take off my F/R sway bars!

Planning a dry run in a buddies driveway this weekend to get used to setting up everything, then the first camping trip of the year next weekend! Let me know what ya'll think and if you have any input.
IMG_4894.jpgIMG_4886.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke