HELP IN BUILDING A EXPEDITION VEHICLE AND PLANNING WORLDWIDE EXPEDITION

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hiya

Good luck with your journey's!

Even though it is perhaps a little more for people on two wheels who don't appreciate big things, you could also research on the HUBB forum?

Entry requirements for your vehicle will probably be determined by relationships already (hopefully) established between your country and each of your destinations. They are usually overseen by a motoring organisation in your country. Visa info specific for you may be best obtained from the relevant consulates in your country?

Insurance for any given country is often bought at or very near the border into that country, and may be third party only. Good travel insurance for a year of travel (rather than a year of cover within which you only travel a little) is often aimed at students.

If someone near you can build a refrigerated cabin on a truck that is a fairly good and much cheaper option than getting it built in Europe. How would you register a truck in Europe while not living there, or at home without the truck being there? You may have to import it to home only to shortly afterwards export it back for travel. A new truck with expensive box on the back may incur some hefty charges/deposit at border entry points to prevent the risk of you selling undeclared in their country without paying them tax. Older trucks may incur lower charges. A Carnet is an agreement between some countries to get round that uncertainty for those countries who agree to that scheme but not all do and the cost of that varies depending on what you are driving, where you live and where you're going.

I have no connection to either, but I would suggest buying both of these now, they may help with many of your questions;

http://www.desertwinds.co.uk/expedition_guide.html or an older version second hand if you can find one.

https://www.selfbuildmotorhome.com/Main_navigation/Bookstore.html Included is a section on comparing some of the Euro box builders, their different approaches and material preferences.

I would suggest you will not be less than 10 tons once loaded for four people, especially if you end up with a three axle truck. Then more like 15.

You could consider a composting toilet instead of a cassette. Four people using only a cassette may mean a daily empty. A composting loo is basically a bucket with something like sawdust in the bottom, a small extractor fan and a funnel.

A top loading washing machine may be easier to design in. A top opening fridge will be more efficient. A domestic fridge may not like being bounced around. 100l of fridge may be a bit too big.

A wind turbine small enough to take with you won't be big enough to recharge a big battery bank.

Fresh water tanks should be inside then won't freeze.

You could make a scale version of a twenty foot container out of cardboard, and make similar sized versions of how much water, storage, living space etc you think you want and see how it could all fit, just as a guideline nothing super exact. You also just start from a sketched birds eye view floor layout, then paper pieces cut to scale etc. How much water do you drink at home per day? What size suitcase could contain all the clothes you think each person will take. I think you would find that everything you want to take will end up with something that does 5mpg :)

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I totally understand what you mean about limited resources in India. That's one of the reasons our factory is shipping insulated truck bodies to India on a regular basis. Info for people that haven't been to India: finding good quality products especially truck bodies is next to impossible. I would never take one of those around the globe.

In any case, send me an email if you are interested in building your own and I would be more than happy to help you out.

Cheers and good luck.

Vijay Jadhav

I totally understand what you mean about limited resources in India. That's one of the reasons our factory is shipping insulated truck bodies to India on a regular basis. Info for people that haven't been to India: finding good quality products especially truck bodies is next to impossible. I would never take one of those around the globe.

In any case, send me an email if you are interested in building your own and I would be more than happy to help you out.

Cheers and good luck.

Thank you very much for your support . Request kindly share with me your email / cellphone number please .

Vijay Jadhav

Thanks Grizzlyj,

Appreciated your inputs. I want to know how are the emmission norms are factored in while alllowing the overseas vehicles to operate in a particular country ??

wickychicky

Observer
I would definitely agree with the parts availability around the world, as Neil mentions and about the weight getting up to 15 tonnes.
Mahindra is certainly growing globally, if you are looking for something a lot smaller and you could look into that as a potentially cost-effective alternative.
Here are a couple of thoughts on some of your points/questions:

(d) Able to sustain four people and dog without replenishments for at least 10-15 days:
Water will be your biggest issue here, unless in the 15 days you will have access to a fresh water source and have a good filter system / use chemicals to purify the water you put into the tank.
The suggestion to test over a few weeks by someone here was a good one.

(e) It should have external dimensions such that it is easy / economical to transport by ships and should be able to cross majority of low bridges around the world .
This will be more difficult with a 6 axle, 15tonne vehicle, which you may be considering. In many places there are bridges/roads with 3 tonne weight limits etc which otherwise mean a big detour to avoid or having to miss out on what you wanted to see.
Last year in Namibia we met a Swiss family who were simply in a motorhome and had travelled South America, some of Africa and maybe some other continents as well, I don't recall exactly.
Of course they had to miss out on 4x4 routes.

(a) How much water will be sufficient to sustain us (four adults and dog) for fifteen days without replenishment/ recycling , given that we are habituated of taking daily bath ??
Once you are on the road you may well start to redefine the meaning of "daily bath!"

(e) What kind of insurance is best for my rig ?? What all is covered ??Any suggestions ??
It is unlikely you will find an Indian insurer who will insure you for your global trip. Probably you will have to buy the minimum insurance at each border. It's about 20 to 30 USD per month in Mosambique for example, but whether they would ever pay out when you need it, I doubt.

(f) I am looking for comprehensive medical cover catering to most common ailments . Which Health insurance / plan is best suitable for me while on expedition?? Any suggestions please ??
Again, I think you will find you have to do that in India. In Germany the most cost-effective are HanseMerkur (650€ for 18 months. They also have a 5 year plan) and ADAC (1 year max I believe)

(j) Suggestions on documentations prior to departure so that it helps me in future (I hold an Indian passport and own an NGO (Non Governmental Organisation) engaged in works on Woman and child welfare ) . How about visa formalities ?? How should I approach the issue ?? How does one get visa on arrival ??? What are the conditions for the same ??
It's different for every country and depends on your nationality. There is no way anyone can give a comprehensive, up to date idea here. The UK foreign office advises on every country in the world for UK nationals. Germany, Canada and US do the same. Maybe India also has this information? Otherwise there is CBIT which may serve as a starting point for info, though I don't see the point in using an agency for getting visas, unless you are sending a second passport back to your home country for a particular visa where it is difficult to get a visa on the road, like China or Russia. I don't think Indians are permitted second passports?

(n) Suggestions to stay out of trouble with Police/ Customs/ Immigration Officials and Anti social elements in US , Canada , Latin America , South America and Europe ??
Always be friendly and polite and don't get aggressive. They are mostly only doing their job. In hotspots for corruption, keep to speed limits and know the main rules of the road and obey them. It's much less stressful. When they do stop you, smile, remove your sunglasses, tell them about your trip, why you are there, what you like about their country, or hope to discover. They often get bored, or are delighted you are interested and then let you go without a fine. If they do want to fine you, bargain about the price, if they hagggle with you, they are corrupt. Tell them you'll pay at the nearest police station and ask for an official receipt. Don't pay bribes.

(q) Can one travel alongwith the vehicle while RORO shipping ??
Depends on the shipping line and the route.

Hope you get your plan off the ground and have a wonderful trip! Do you have a website we can follow?

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hi

In Europe any older vehicle is allowed almost anywhere. Some cities have begun stopping older (diesel only?) vehicles entering at all, or with such a high daily charge to effectively make it a ban such as the L.E.Z. in the UK.

I would think that at the moment everywhere still has a reasonable number of older more polluting vehicles, and only cities who can afford to insist brand new vehicles are the only ones allowed will have restrictions. Some countries may start making emissions an issue at borders but one private tourist vehicle may not be treated the same as a truck fleet at any given border. Trying to permanently export a new ASHOK Leyland Stallion 6X6 into the EU or many other countries would probably be hugely costly, time consuming and even impossible, but as a tourist passing through you won't ever actually be exporting it from your home country presumably?

So until you arrive at a border who may think you shouldn't be allowed in then carry on regardless with fingers crossed would possibly be the best idea. Although if it looks like something they are familiar with then they might not even think about emissions?

Vijay Jadhav

Thanks Wickychicky for the inputs .

Yeah I am definitely planning on making a website for the purpose . But before that , I need to get things put in place first . The hurdles of building and registering one in India are extraordinary . But with your active guidance/assistance , I plan to conquer it for sure. Thank you very much indeed.

Vijay Jadhav

Hi

In Europe any older vehicle is allowed almost anywhere. Some cities have begun stopping older (diesel only?) vehicles entering at all, or with such a high daily charge to effectively make it a ban such as the L.E.Z. in the UK.

So until you arrive at a border who may think you shouldn't be allowed in then carry on regardless with fingers crossed would possibly be the best idea. Although if it looks like something they are familiar with then they might not even think about emissions?

What do you mean by L.E.Z in UK ?? Have you faced problems crossing the borders due to emission norms / Left/Right hand drive issues ??

Vijay Jadhav

Cheers and good luck.
Hi,

You can find our contact info here: http://totalcomposites.com/contact/ Email works best.

Hello Victorian,

1. Sorry for the late reply . I was busy with some other pressing problems in life.

2. I am now back on my passion. Can you help me with designing a cabin . I have a host of questions on that one . Kindly send me your personal email/ skye id/ whatsapp to quickly reach out to you .

Regards

Vijay Jadhav

Hi guys,

1. I am looking for building cabin first . Can anyone suggest the good material for the same as well as reliable vendors dealing in it .

2. They say that AIRLOYS has extremely light weight and very high insulation properties . Any idea as to any vendor dealing in the same .

3. It is also said that composite material or foam injected honeycomb panel are also good for construction. Any inputs in this regards please.

Regards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles