Hummer H2 on Elephant Hill

99Discovery

Adventurer
A few years ago we took my dad's H2 through Elephant Hill. It did very well. For those familiar with the trail, there is a "fun" spot called "the squeeze" where your drive through a crevice in the rock. In Jeeps, it's trivial. In a full size rig, you need to drive straight. In large rigs, such as trucks and Hummers, it can be potentially damaging to your body panels.

But we did make it through without a scratch.

The trick is to watch the passenger wall. If you hug the wall on the driver's side, the driver will naturally want to turn passenger when that side opens up (and he only has mere inches on the driver's side). DO NOT do this. There is another famous video where a new Ford Raptor turned driver and you can see that since the passenger wall inclines up and away from the vehicle, it tips the Ford into the Driver wall and his fenders got crunched.

We took our time (It took around 15+ minutes), but got the beast through unscathed. It is actually quite a technical obstacle for full-sized vehicles.

Below is the video I finally put together, I've cut it down from 15-18 minutes down to 8, so hopefully it's not too boring. But you should be able to see the proper line unfold as you watch it.

For reference, I've also attached the Ford F-150 video of what happens when you turn passenger. Enjoy:

And the F150 Raptor video:

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
I've got this foolproof technique that I use...I drive around such obstacles or find another route....of course that entirely misses the point1

;-)

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
That's impressive! I was nervous as hell in my old D1 Land Rover squeezing through that. I wouldn't believe an H2 could do it without having watched that.

99Discovery

Adventurer
LocoCoyote, The National Park Service requires Elephant Hill to be run as a 1-way loop (it makes it seem less traveled since you won't have any incoming traffic save on the actual Hill itself). So there is no way around The Squeeze, you have to go through it.

I just checked some wheelbase dimensions on the Raptor and it is in fact WIDER than the H2, so maybe the raptor guy had no chance anyway. :D.

We had a few TJ wranglers, and XJ, and my Discovery 2 on that trip. The H2 was the only vehicle that was "scary". The rest of us just went right through.

99Discovery

Adventurer
It's really fun in a narrower vehicle. I don't have any pictures of the other vehicles, but I do have a clip of an XJ going through it at around the 3:45 second mark. I tried to que it up in the link for you.

It's a very EASY passage if you have vehicle of reasonable width.

[video]https://youtu.be/2O7ABG36rgU?t=3m48s[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne