Can anyone tell me about this Military trailer???

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
DSC00317.JPG
DSC00305.JPG
DSC00303.JPG

M105a3.

Looks heavy, that's good for me (F250). Steel construction.

The hitch as it sits there, is 35" off the ground. The bed is over 8' long and as wide as my F250. I have no idea what size those wheels are, but they're big. I don't need to add nice offroad tires like many of you guys have on yours. A fresh set of whatever those are is fine by me. Springs are quite stout. Stout enough I could wall this thing in and add some windows and beds or something.

Right now, it would be to haul a pair of bikes. Maybe add a rack and a RTT.

Can these trailers go 70mph? Military trucks rarely go faster than 55 around here.

I was going to offer $1000, if they have a spare tire and wheel. They said they did.

Last edited:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
They are heavy! I think a 250 would be fine. From what I see, if you get it for $1k and it is in as nice a condition as it appears, that is a good deal. They are not as popular as the M101

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
It's in perfect shape, but no top. The corner lip on one fender is folded up, nothing that can't be bent back down.

No idea on the lights. Google says they're 12/24 LED's, should work with my truck. If the lights work, and there's a spare, I'll probably get it.

Google say 2000#, GVW up to just under 6000#. Nothing that's going to work a Super Duty over (if the brakes aren't frozen up). At first I thought it was weird this thing had brakes, now seeing the #'s, it makes sense.

CampStewart

Observer
That looks to have hydraulic surge brakes and for most people they have a lot more disadvantages than advantages. For what you say you will be using it for your truck will have plenty of brake capacity without having to use them. I believe they can be locked out with a pin. If I was considering buying it I would research the cost to convert that axle to electric brakes or a replacement axle and new wheels with electric brakes. For offroad use having electric brakes on the trailer can be a big help no matter the tow rigs capabilities. That trailer can handle quite a bit more weight than what it is rated for.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Yeah, I like the simplicity of them, but they'd kick in on the downside of every bump, unless there is something special about the brakes to prevent that. I'll see if there's a way to lock them out.

As long as they aren't empty and failed, where the trailer slams into the truck every brake event, like some old generator trailer, I'll likely leave it be until the day it's heavy enough to need better brakes.

RedM101A2

M105A3 MILITARY TRAILER MADE FOR M35A3 TRUCKS
This RARE *M105 single-axle cargo trailer was designed to transport cargo both on roads and cross-country and is normally towed by a 2½ ton or 5 ton truck.
The brakes of the trailer are air-over-hydraulic with a mechanical parking brake. Leaf springs provide suspension and the M105 is designed for deep fording operations.
M105A3 has an optional support leg.
Weight complete is 2700 pounds.
The final M105A3 model featured a number of improvements over earlier models including a hydraulic surge brake, an adjustable lunette and improved maintainability and corrosion resistance.
The final contract award for the M105A3 was to Pribbs Steel and Manufacturing Inc, was awarded in October 1997 and called for up to 5,000 trailers over a five-year period.
Fielding of the M105A3 to US Army units was completed during 2003.*Cost the government $10,245.00.****

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Thanks. Seems like a fair deal, hopefully the lights check out ok. I'll head up there on a warmer than 35 day and plug them into my truck. It's got an Ohio plate, so someones been using it.

The smaller trailer behind it is an M1101. Seems a bit short for motorcycles and such.

DSC00312.JPG
DSC00316.JPG
DSC00307.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles