2019 Silverado 1500 gets a diesel

haven

Expedition Leader
Chevrolet just announced that the 2019 Silverado 1500 will have a 3.0L Diesel engine option. And get this - the diesel will be a straight six, like Mercedes and BMW offer in their passenger cars. The Diesel will send power through a 10 speed transmission. No word yet on torque and hp ratings, or price premium.

In other news from the Detroit Auto Show, Chevrolet confirmed the Trail Boss package will add a two inch lift to the Z71 4x4 setup. The factory lift kit was first shown about a month ago. The Trail Boss equipment will be available on the mid-grade LT trim package.

We should know more about delivery schedule for the 2019 Silverados soon.

Explorerinil

Observer
Chevrolet just announced that the 2019 Silverado 1500 will have a 3.0L Diesel engine option. And get this - the diesel will be a straight six, like Mercedes and BMW offer in their passenger cars. The Diesel will send power through a 10 speed transmission. No word yet on torque and hp ratings, or price premium.

In other news from the Detroit Auto Show, Chevrolet confirmed the Trail Boss package will add a two inch lift to the Z71 4x4 setup. The factory lift kit was first shown about a month ago. The Trail Boss equipment will be available on the mid-grade LT trim package.

We should know more about delivery schedule for the 2019 Silverados soon.
Very cool, the inline 6 is a huge plus, and that 10speed gm developed with Ford is a great trans. I'm a Dodge Ram fan, but ram better step it up.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I like the Trail Boss option. Does it include a rear E-locker? Will 35's fit a stock Trail Boss??? Hopefully, we'll see.

Looks like they copied some of Fords styling. I see F150, Tundra, and '17 Super Duty bits and pieces:
636489685869072207-2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-001.jpg

Truck is absolutely better looking than previous modern GM's. And aluminum......hmmm. Should we throw a toolbox at the doors and then make silly commercials about "initial quality"? In 5 more years, the whole body will be aluminum and they'll say "high strength aluminum" and put a JD Power sticker on it. LOLz.

Ya'll might want to skip the interior pics though. yuck:
4.png

I guess GM missed the memo to copy Japanese interiors more.

The Hyundai Sonata style windshield isn't going to fare well in the snow belt for trucks parked outside 24/7.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Interesting that the bed is reported to be 7 Inches wider than previous models. No longer is the bed size dictated by a 4x8 piece of plywood! Maybe this is to further differentiate the Silverado from the Colorado. Or just add capacity to all those 5.5 foot beds on the four door models. All the bed cap and slide-in camper manufacturers will have to go back to the drawing boards.

The Diesel engine will come with start-stop technology to improve in-town fuel economy. So no more diesel idling noise for long periods of time.

I noticed that the Trail Boss trim will be available on the Custom package as well as LT package. Chevy has used the Custom designation off and on since the 1940s. Nice to see the good stuff available in the lower cost trim packages.

malibubts

Adventurer
Loving the uptake on the 1/2 ton Diesel!

I'm more excited about this release than Ford's from the slim details so far; hopefully we'll get more information soon. Really like that it's an Inline 6 design. Hopefully there is no timing belt like on the 2.8L Duramax and the 3.0L Powerstroke. And hopefully you can get it in any trim level, but not sure how likely that is with the exclusivity they have on the diesel in the mid size.

I'm also excited to see what we get out of Ram tomorrow, rumor is they will be announcing the update to the 3.0L EcoDiesel.

LakeLBJ

Observer
I've owned three GM's - 1990 Silverado Z71, 1997 Yukon, 2004 Silverado Z71...just finally gave up on Chevy coming out with something I wanted and bought a 2012 Raptor this past summer. Love the Raptor but the 2019 Chevrolet is making me wish I had waited another year! So glad we finally have a departure from the old styling, I think this truck is going to be a big seller.

chet6.7

Explorer
It seems around 3L is the ideal size for the big 3,it seems a little small to me, but maybe the 10spd trans makes up for the lack of displacement.
I am glad to see these new diesels come to market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior