Awnings on Truck Toppers. Pics? Suggestions?

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I have a Ram HD with a Leer Topper with the Thule tracks. There will be little if any sleeping in the topper as we are looking for a rough road capable travel trailer to pull behind. I'd like something to mount to the truck rack to give us some shade on day trips away from the camper. The Foxwing is attractive due to the coverage but I think it might be overkill and the necessity of two man setup is not preferred. What is everyone putting on their toppers for shade? Are people putting the 8ft awnings on short beds and happy with that setup?

Pics of your setup would be awesome.

For a short bed you may look at the Rhino Rack Dome 1300. It comes in at a little over 50" long if I remember correctly and then domes up and expands out which gives the footprint of a 4-5 foot awning but the actual protection of a 8 foot awning basically. I use one and like it, although I will say it is not as easy as others to setup or put down.

Last edited:

rickc

Adventurer
One issue with the 270deg awnings is finding a camp space big enough as it's my understanding that they have to be fully deployed to work. Even out in the bush, finding a camp spot that allows for so much awning could be tight. You also have to decide to buy a lefty or a righty; one this is done, there is no turning back. I have an ARB 2.5M awning and I'm considering getting the enclosed room for it. I've got a Simpson III up top but I can't carry it and sea kayaks at the same time so I'm thinking that when kayak camping, I 'll use the awning and room and otherwise the Simpson III.

coop74

Old Camping Dude
I have both a 2.5 x 2.5 meter awning and a foxwing 270. I have both the side kick as well at the awning room. The combo is mounted on a roof rack on my Nissan Frontier.

AF1QipPIFZ-NScj7vE0z1Z8BwVjqP09xHMbBz8GxOJCCoLE8s-Ke_qlHs_kS27clodPZjg

AF1QipMq8fxighE1j9Q0yaHM3OsmMWpsz6YOfbxDBOCA

AF1QipMkkyeKFFNv7ViEpByUT4QvEsrJP0dkGvWk3AL-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles