Ford E-series ergo question

freedrive

For any given year, do any one of the E series (150, 250, 350) have better driver ergonomics, or are they all the same? Mainly, foot-well space and how much the trans/engine cover protrudes into cabin.

Is any model year since say 2003 better?

WVI

Adventurer
I believe about the only interior differences are seats (cloth vs vinyl ect) and there are different dog house consuls. The consul base is the same, but they added on different externals such as one with a large tray and two cup holders, one with a drawer or open strorage compartment or more cup holders..

Corneilius

Adventurer
Id recommend against a "stripper" cargo in terms of ergonomics. Crank windows, manual locks, no cruise control, no rear heat/ac....Passenger vans usually have better doghouse and wall insulation as well.

jed duncan

Power seats don’t go back as far as manual. I’ve owned both and I’m 6’4” with a 34 inseam and much happier in the old van with manual seat that slid further back.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I find the seat a bit low on mine (I'm 6'3" tall, with a long legged 36" inseam), I use a seat pad to get me up a bit higher. Other than that pretty comfy.

Deshet

Adventurer
At 6'7" with experience in nearly 50 e-seriers vans. (school buses to cargo vans) I find the conversions vans the best. The newer electronic adjustable seats allow for the best position. Some of the shuttle buses place the seat a little further back. I think moving the seats two inches back fixes nearly everything. I heard that the e-seriers was created for drives under 5'10.

WVI

Adventurer
At 6'7" with experience in nearly 50 e-seriers vans. (school buses to cargo vans) I find the conversions vans the best. The newer electronic adjustable seats allow for the best position. Some of the shuttle buses place the seat a little further back. I think moving the seats two inches back fixes nearly everything. I heard that the e-seriers was created for drives under 5'10.

I agree, along with lifting them a couple inches with blocks depending on the seat your working with.

bp460

The dash, door panels and doghouse had a facelift in 2009. It is mostly cosmetic, but it included vastly improved storage in the door panels, an updated center console and a functional glove box.

Cheers,

Brad

freedrive

Hmmm...interesting. I often rebolt/weld/move the drivers seat (an inch or 2) of any car I buy. I had given up on the E-series due to their narrow foot well (compared to other vans on the market), but it's been a while since I've sat in one. I'll have to find one to sit in, and imagine what might be possible. One limiting thing on the Chevy/GMC vans is none come with telescoping wheel. So move the seat back 2-3 inches, and then the wheel is in the wrong position.

Do E-series come with a telescoping wheel option?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles