Ford Ranger Debut

Clutch

<---Pass
I have 1/4" of Rino lining.

Standing on the new tailgate, isn't the most confidence inspiring thing in the world. But if my bike ramps and bikes haven't hurt it yet, it's not bad at all. GM's new tailgate is aluminum as well anyways. GM needs to fire their marketing team and hire us.

*thumbs-up*

well boys, i went and saw one today - im seriously impressed. Its slightly bigger than the Tacoma, which is a huge improvement. It looks like you will actually be able to fit an adult in the back seat.

I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised on the sizing. It's going to be a great platform.

So about the size of a 1st gen Tundra then? Always liked the size of it, seemed about perfect.

Might even have a real payload (maybe not on paper), guessing they didn't change the frame much, but will spec the US market with softer springs, nothing a set from OME wouldn't fix.

http://www.oldmanemu.com.au/old-man-emu-suspension-selector/

duckhunter71

Adventurer
About 2yrs ago I pulled the Australian rear seat specs it was slightly roomier than the Canyon. I'm guessing Ford isn't going to loose that little bonus in the American version.

Today I'm not pro GM or Ford both build good machines. But the ford sync in my wife's 16 is complete ****e!!!!! GM has a far better approach using top apps etc. God I hate the Ford system with a passion. Complete Microsoft garbage

Have you used Sync 3 yet? It's not Microsoft based and is light years ahead of the old Sync/MyFord Touch system that my 2014 F150 had.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
While I am very exited about this truck I am still quite skeptical about their choice of the engine.
They should have used the 2.7 eco boost. It would have been an absolute savage small truck.

If I buy a new truck I want it to last for 10 years. I seldom buy stuff but when I do I buy it for long term. Not sure if this 2.3 engine will be reliable enough for 10 life span.

But, regardless, I am glad the competition is rising.

adam88

Explorer
I'm not sold at all. Would rather just get an F150. I guess I am one of the few people who thinks getting rid of the Ranger was probably a good thing. The problem is, the Ranger is only going to be good if it can haul 2500# like in other countries. But because Ford has the F150 here, they don't want the Ranger to compete with it, so they dumb the payload down to around 1500#. That makes the ranger useless for hauling anything except people and a small trailer. I would like to see a Ford ranger that you could haul a small truck camper on

Dalko43

Explorer
I'm not sold at all. Would rather just get an F150. I guess I am one of the few people who thinks getting rid of the Ranger was probably a good thing. The problem is, the Ranger is only going to be good if it can haul 2500# like in other countries. But because Ford has the F150 here, they don't want the Ranger to compete with it, so they dumb the payload down to around 1500#. That makes the ranger useless for hauling anything except people and a small trailer. I would like to see a Ford ranger that you could haul a small truck camper on

No way of knowing yet whether or not Ford "dumbed" down the payload.

Even if it is, I think the Ranger will have a market in North America for the same reason the Tacoma and Colorado/Canyon do.

BTW, Expedition Overland put a bed-mounted camper (of sorts) on their Tacoma. With the right suspension, these mid-sized pickup's can carry decent loads. If you want a true sleep-in camper with amenities though, why would you bother with something like a Ranger? Yes, I know they get used overseas for those purposes, but a F-150 or, better yet, a F-250 or Ram 2500 are so much better for hauling those things.

vartz04

Adventurer
So I have 6000 miles in my canyon so far and I am telling you this is the same thing as the late 90's early 2000's half tons. I had a 2002 Silverado RCLB and it feels the same as driving this size wise. My Silverado had the 4.8L v8 and power/towing is about the same as i can remember as well.

2002 Silverado 1500 Tow Capacity - 8000 LBS
2018 Canyon Tow Capacity (V6) - 7000 LBS
2002 Silverado 1500 Payload - 1642 LBS
2018 Canyon Payload - 1587
2002 Silverado 5.3 HP - 285, TQ 325 FT/LBS
2018 Canyon HP - 308 - TQ - 275 FT/LBS
2002 Silverado ECSB Overall Length/width - 227.7" /78.5"
2018 Canyon CCSB Overall Length/Width - 224.2"/74.3"

So maybe they just made the size truck everyone originally wanted now that the 1/2 tons have ballooned to the size of school busses? The back seat in the crew cab canyon has 1" more leg room that the back seat in a brand new Silverado Extended Cab so comparing the two is pretty close.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
So I have 6000 miles in my canyon so far and I am telling you this is the same thing as the late 90's early 2000's half tons. I had a 2002 Silverado RCLB and it feels the same as driving this size wise. My Silverado had the 4.8L v8 and power/towing is about the same as i can remember as well.

2002 Silverado 1500 Tow Capacity - 8000 LBS
2018 Canyon Tow Capacity (V6) - 7000 LBS
2002 Silverado 1500 Payload - 1642 LBS
2018 Canyon Payload - 1587
2002 Silverado 5.3 HP - 285, TQ 325 FT/LBS
2018 Canyon HP - 308 - TQ - 275 FT/LBS
2002 Silverado ECSB Overall Length/width - 227.7" /78.5"
2018 Canyon CCSB Overall Length/Width - 224.2"/74.3"

So maybe they just made the size truck everyone originally wanted now that the 1/2 tons have ballooned to the size of school busses? The back seat in the crew cab canyon has 1" more leg room that the back seat in a brand new Silverado Extended Cab so comparing the two is pretty close.

No doubt todays trucks are much larger than those of the 90's and early 2000's. I have yet to drive a Canyon/Colorado, but my biggest complaint is the leg room in the back seat of the current Tacoma, its down right pathetic. Things like that single handedly keep me out of a compact truck.

Clutch

<---Pass
..but my biggest complaint is the leg room in the back seat of the current Tacoma, its down right pathetic. Things like that single handedly keep me out of a compact truck.

Shoot... I don't have to ride back there, so I don't care. ;) :D

gtbensley

Explorer
well boys, i went and saw one today - im seriously impressed. Its slightly bigger than the Tacoma, which is a huge improvement. It looks like you will actually be able to fit an adult in the back seat.

I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised on the sizing. It's going to be a great platform.

Where did you get to see one?

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
I came across this video.
It looks like that Ford Ranger is a quite tough truck.

[video]https://youtu.be/qWV3CrldmMc[/video]

This is not a soft test they put the truck in. I hope its american brother will be just as good as the Australian one.

I wonder how different the Australian Ranger is from the US one. Apart form the engines of course.
Do the share the same frame? loading capacity? overall structure?

Any thoughts?

Clutch

<---Pass
I wonder how different the Australian Ranger is from the US one. Apart form the engines of course.
Do the share the same frame? loading capacity? overall structure?

Any thoughts?

I think it will be exactly the same chassis, but they are going to spec it with different springs (maybe not at all) and dumb it down on paper. So not to compete with the F-150.

Set of springs from OME and you're good to go, me thinks.

http://www.oldmanemu.com.au/old-man-emu-suspension-selector/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles