Ford Ranger Debut

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Infamous? I think you have confused the 7.3L with another engine. The 7.3 PSD is still in great demand because of its reliability and performance. The 6.0 and 6.4 had some issues, and do not have a great reputation.

The 7.3 isn't in demand because it is such a great engine, its average at best. The ones after it were so troublesome that a legend was built around the 7.3. Its power was average, and it leaks oil about like a Land Rover when it gets some age.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
That's exactly true.

During the 7.3L days, the forums were flooded with complaints. Flutter noises, compressor stall, eating cam sensors like pez, water pump, rusty oil pan failures (that require engine removal, yay), dismal turn radius after lifts.

The modern Cummins engine is the same way, no matter how many of them blow up, they have some weird teflon jacket for a reputation.

Dalko43

Explorer
In Australia and elsewhere, the Ranger is offered with a 2.2L four and 3.2L 5 cylinder turbo Diesel engines. Since Ford already sells the 3.2L diesel in the Transit van in USA, I’d guess the 3.2 would be the diesel of choice for our Ranger. It should “drop right in.”

The F150’s 3.0L Diesel is rated at 440 ft-lb of torque. The 3.2 in the Transit, 350 ft-lb. That might be too much torque for the Ranger.

I too would guess, and hope, that Ford offers the 3.2l inline 5 diesel as an option. It has a proven track record overseas and within North America. If people really want the utmost fuel economy, the 2.2l inline 4 seems like a solid option. I just hope that Ford doesn't decide for the consumer that the 3.2 is not suited to the North American Ranger.

That's exactly true.

During the 7.3L days, the forums were flooded with complaints. Flutter noises, compressor stall, eating cam sensors like pez, water pump, rusty oil pan failures (that require engine removal, yay), dismal turn radius after lifts.

The modern Cummins engine is the same way, no matter how many of them blow up, they have some weird teflon jacket for a reputation.

The new 6.7l Cummins doesn't have a tendency to "blow up." If the horsepower levels are kept at stock, it seems to work just fine.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Lol, you guys over react to every single little word. I am well aware of the issues with the 7.3L PSD and why it is preferred (i.e. the 6.Blow and 6.whore), never the less, it is a well known and often decently respected motor of it's time.

Don't shoot the messenger on the engine spec sheet, I simply provided it to everyone. At the end of the day, regardless of the size engines being offered in the NA market, I think it's awesome to see some small diesels coming to market.

Clutch

<---Pass
Looks like a 1.5L, 2.0L, and 3.0L, the 3.0L is the F-150 and likely Expedition option. I bet the 2.0L goes in the Bronco and the 1.5L for the Ranger.

uj4NZQO.jpg

Gee-bas, who typed that up, Bigfoot while riding on the back of the Loch Ness Monster, while they both looked at the sky at a UFO? I have seen some blurry pics before, but...

bigfoot-riding-nessie.jpg

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I

The new 6.7l Cummins doesn't have a tendency to "blow up." If the horsepower levels are kept at stock, it seems to work just fine.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. No matter how many baskets of broken Cummins parts we have, or how many videos I make of Aisen transmissions having a seizure and spaz-ing out, or how many axle interconnect things get bounced off a rock, someone will come by and tell us that it NEVER ever happens. Cummins trucks never have problems. Allison transmissions are invincible. GM IFS never rips up tie rods or snaps diff housings. And the olde 7.3L is perfectly reliable. Powerwagon ALL the things! Next week it'll be Zr2 fanboys.

Brand name Teflon.

I can't wait until the guys begging for a Toyota Hilux, start complaining about how much they hate this Ford Hilux and the GM Colora-hilux Zr2.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

2.3 ecoboost + get it tuned = one seriously fun little truck

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
That's exactly what I'm talking about. No matter how many baskets of broken Cummins parts we have, or how many videos I make of Aisen transmissions having a seizure and spaz-ing out, or how many axle interconnect things get bounced off a rock, someone will come by and tell us that it NEVER ever happens. Cummins trucks never have problems. Allison transmissions are invincible. GM IFS never rips up tie rods or snaps diff housings. And the olde 7.3L is perfectly reliable. Powerwagon ALL the things! Next week it'll be Zr2 fanboys.

Brand name Teflon.

I can't wait until the guys begging for a Toyota Hilux, start complaining about how much they hate this Ford Hilux and the GM Colora-hilux Zr2.

My favorite one is "I just wish I could get a Ford truck with a cummins engine and an Allison transmission."

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Yeah, neither the Cummins or the Allison are anything special. Just a tractor engine, and a normal GM transmission. And even the Hilux isn't what it used to be.

I wouldn't bother tuning the Ranger, if it's near 300hp. That's more than enough. Will be fun to compare it back to back with the Zr2, when it hits dealer lots.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I wouldn't bother, if it's near 300hp. That's more than enough.

Will be fun to compare it back to back with the Zr2, when it hits dealer lots.

Although its not practical day to day, I am looking forward to the IKE Gauntlet test on TFL truck. My guess it'll blow away the competition, largely because boosted vehicles perform better at altitude.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I feel the aerodynamic frontend is a huge improvement over Ford's infatuation with the bricknose.
Nice looking truck but the mini beds out there defy logic.

gtbensley

Explorer
I could be interested in one of these in a few years. I love having a smaller footprint truck (frontier) but would love something a little more capable in terms of towing and hauling. I stay well within my trucks limits but it feels a little stressed doing it. A compact truck that could feel composed doing the same thing would be the ticket.

A 2.3 ecoboost if reliable would be an awesome motor in this. From what I have read, the HG failures on the RS are due to incorrect gaskets being installed from the mustang which apparently has slightly different water jackets. We will see I guess. I would hope they would bring the 3.2 diesel over as that would be on the top of my list IF it could crack 30mpg highway with easy driving. Excited to see what comes of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior