Ford Ranger Debut

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Love it.

Only thing that would make me happier is that if they could put a 3.5 atmospheric engine in it.

p.s. Does an FX4 package include all those terrain management mode options?

phsycle

Adventurer
Make it an extra cab, in contractor white...sold! (well, think about it "maybe"..is more likely the truth :p )

I wonder if there is even an even more stripped down fleet truck. Roll down windows. Maybe some orange lights in the roof. :D

Love it.

Only thing that would make me happier is that if they could put a 3.5 atmospheric engine in it.

p.s. Does an FX4 package include all those terrain management mode options?

I believe so. Guessing the electronic aids, skid plates and rear locker. I'd actually just like a rear locker so if that comes a la carte, I'd just get that.

If they put a V6, it would be the new 3.3L. That would be a good engine for it as well.

Clutch

<---Pass
I wonder if there is even an even more stripped down fleet truck. Roll down windows. Maybe some orange lights in the roof. :D

My buddy had a white LC60, and used to do that. :D

...and actually...I have thought of doing that too, make it look like a contractors truck...people tend to steer clear of work trucks I have noticed. Maybe I would get less tailgaters on my commute. :D

Run a reflective stripe down the side. :D

FORD-RANGER.png

And this on the tailgate.

4311084_zpsmjaw1mlt.jpg

....and in other news, the new electric torque assist on the V6 Rams looks interesting. No prices yet, but you can quasi build them on their website now. Never have been a fan of Rams, but the new body style isn't too bad. Looks like the regular cabs and Ecodiesel are gone. Guessing the electric assist V6 is taking the place of the Ecodiesel???

https://www.ramtrucks.com/build#/po...WBF,TX,NFF,XFH,DSA,Z6A,UAA,DMD,X8,PW7,23A,APA

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
My buddy had a white LC60, and used to do that. :D

...and actually...I have thought of doing that too, make it look like a contractors truck...people tend to steer clear of work trucks I have noticed. Maybe I would get less tailgaters on my commute. :D

Run a reflective stripe down the side. :D

And this on the tailgate.

....and in other news, the new electric torque assist on the V6 Rams looks interesting. No prices yet, but you can quasi build them on their website now. Never have been a fan of Rams, but the new body style isn't too bad. Looks like the regular cabs and Ecodiesel are gone. Guessing the electric assist V6 is taking the place of the Ecodiesel???

https://www.ramtrucks.com/build#/po...WBF,TX,NFF,XFH,DSA,Z6A,UAA,DMD,X8,PW7,23A,APA

That looks like a work-horse! I've really got some high-hopes for this new Ranger. I'm liking everything I've seen so far. I hope Ford doesn't dumb it down for the NA market.

The Ram looks good as well. Surprised to see that they added a rear locker (upgrade from the LSD). Wonder how that BSG/eTorque system will work.

Clutch

<---Pass
That looks like a work-horse! I've really got some high-hopes for this new Ranger. I'm liking everything I've seen so far. I hope Ford doesn't dumb it down for the NA market.

Don't think it will be dumbed down too much...but we Americans really don't use our trucks as trucks anyways. Heck, know I don't...

The Ram looks good as well. Surprised to see that they added a rear locker (upgrade from the LSD). Wonder how that BSG/eTorque system will work.

They have a new off road package, adds skid plates, tow hooks and a locker. With their link coils rear end whey ride pretty nice.

eTorques is intriguing, the V6 is a little soft off the bottom...maybe it will cure that. Reading up on it, it doesn't add to peak torque...but moves the curve lower. Not sure if I can fully trust Rams after my buddy had some tranny issues...it is probably all for not though...specs are looking good on paper.

phsycle

Adventurer
Don't think it will be dumbed down too much...but we Americans really don't use our trucks as trucks anyways. Heck, know I don't...

They have a new off road package, adds skid plates, tow hooks and a locker. With their link coils rear end whey ride pretty nice.

eTorques is intriguing, the V6 is a little soft off the bottom...maybe it will cure that. Reading up on it, it doesn't add to peak torque...but moves the curve lower. Not sure if I can fully trust Rams after my buddy had some tranny issues...it is probably all for not though...specs are looking good on paper.

Going back to the other thread I started about the Pentastar, I've got doubts as well, especially from that one fellow that chimed in. I like what Ram is doing. But I probably will wait until other early adapters test out this experimental system.

I agree most don't use trucks as intended. I've been looking on youtube reviews of the Ranger in Australia and even they say most are an "all-around" vehicles--from yard work duties to soccer team bus. But I do find when I am going out camping or moving people, I get close or over the payload. I am hoping the Ranger will take more than my Tacoma. IF they don't dumb it down, we may be 1,500 to 2,000 lbs.

Clutch

<---Pass
Going back to the other thread I started about the Pentastar, I've got doubts as well, especially from that one fellow that chimed in. I like what Ram is doing. But I probably will wait until other early adapters test out this experimental system.

Think we have talked about this, I keep on looking at the Rams because they are cheap...maybe there is a reason. Too bad they look really good on paper.

I agree most don't use trucks as intended. I've been looking on youtube reviews of the Ranger in Australia and even they say most are an "all-around" vehicles--from yard work duties to soccer team bus. But I do find when I am going out camping or moving people, I get close or over the payload. I am hoping the Ranger will take more than my Tacoma. IF they don't dumb it down, we may be 1,500 to 2,000 lbs.

Guessing they'll dumb it down on paper, maybe softer sprung for our delicate American bottoms. Nothing a suspension kit from OME won't fix.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Think we have talked about this, I keep on looking at the Rams because they are cheap...maybe there is a reason. Too bad they look really good on paper.

Guessing they'll dumb it down on paper, maybe softer sprung for our delicate American bottoms. Nothing a suspension kit from OME won't fix.

Maybe it'll be like the superdutys and offer a bunch of different spring packages.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Maybe it'll be like the superdutys and offer a bunch of different spring packages.
Toyota had a backdoor way to get upgraded springs. Go in complaining about sagging suspension and you got packs with an extra leaf, the so-called TSB packs. Turns out they are the ones they used out of the gate on work trucks in Mexico I think.

Clutch

<---Pass

They might.

Toyota had a backdoor way to get upgraded springs. Go in complaining about sagging suspension and you got packs with an extra leaf, the so-called TSB packs. Turns out they are the ones they used out of the gate on work trucks in Mexico I think.

Think the only people who complain are the ones who actually tried to haul something...

...where-as the average Tacoma buyer thinks it rides too rough. ;)

Clutch

<---Pass
Hey, Hey, I resemble that remark

Ha ha, me too!

After 3.5 years of commuting in mine...I am starting to look at cars and CUV's. We rented a Nissan Rouge Sport back in October, to my surprise I liked it....that 34 mpg was awfully nice too. It is what has me wondering why in the Hell am I driving a truck for a daily. Other than it being long have been paid for, it is starting to annoy me more than anything.

We have a Trooper that she drives, that is in excellent condition, which rides like a road couch...I would drive that, but that would mean she would drive my truck...she is kinda hard on clutches...so I don't want her driving it. That might sound a little mean, but she is hard on vehicles, and I baby them. Her driving makes me a little nervous, I tend to clench the door arm rest and push on the invisible passenger brake pedal when she is driving... :D ;)

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Ha ha, me too!

After 3.5 years of commuting in mine...I am starting to look at cars and CUV's. We rented a Nissan Rouge Sport back in October, to my surprise I liked it....that 34 mpg was awfully nice too. It is what has me wondering why in the Hell am I driving a truck for a daily. Other than it being long have been paid for, it is starting to annoy me more than anything.

We have a Trooper that she drives, that is in excellent condition, which rides like a road couch...I would drive that, but that would mean she would drive my truck...she is kinda hard on clutches...so I don't want her driving it. That might sound a little mean, but she is hard on vehicles, and I baby them. Her driving makes me a little nervous, I tend to clench the door arm rest and push on the invisible passenger brake pedal when she is driving... :D ;)

On long road trips, I try to get in a nap while the wife drives. I've never slept a wink. Too nervous. :D

You've talked about CUV's before (Subaru). I don't think it'd be worth it. I'm over Subaru's, which is what I'd get if I were to get a crossover.

Dalko43

Explorer
One of the car journal sites got pictures of a diesel Ranger being tested: https://www.autoblog.com/2018/02/20/2019-ford-ranger-wildtrak-diesel-spy-shots/#slide-7249735

Here is to hoping that we will in fact get a diesel option for the Ranger, and hopefully the 3.2l inline 5 at that!

I think Ford was smart to offer a small displacement turbo gasser as a base engine, but they would be dumb if they don't offer something that can compete with the 2.8l diesel Colorado. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94