Ford Ranger Debut

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Ford hasn't released pricing or economy figs on the diesel yet so you can't say. Dealers here don't even stock gas 250's. If you want gas, you have to special order - so the diesels sell for only about a grand over gas, which make the numbers work. The majority of the farm and contractor trucks here stay loaded enough that they pretty much get towing MPGs anyway. And they get wholesale pricing on diesel.

Which is all irrelevant since my point was why TF are we talking about gas prices?

New diesels do not sell for a grand over gas models on Fullsize Ford trucks. Math still applies regardless of your location.

phsycle

Adventurer
I think Toyota guys are loyal enough. To me the Ranger is really about keeping GM from gaining advantage with the Colorado. They've gotten a lot of good press with that truck and so Ford can't really ignore it..

Speaking of loyalty, with as much Ford sells the F150, you'll find more Ford loyalists than Toyota. Guaranteed Toyota is not sitting easy right now. Ranger is definitely going after GM, but make no mistake---they are targeting to take a BIG chunk of the Tacoma sales as well. To me, it looks like they've got a great platform to do exactly that.

OCD Overland

Explorer
New diesels do not sell for a grand over gas models on Fullsize Ford trucks. Math still applies regardless of your location.
I swear jane you have the most argumentative personality of anyone on this forum. When I bought my truck last year, they wanted to put me in a 250 and yes, their price on the diesel on the lot was within $1000 of the gas that they'd have to order.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Maybe I'm not clear so it misunderstood in translation across the net. That being said I stand by statement. Poor negotiating skills or misunderstanding the dealers angle in the situation is what it sounds like. Dealers always pull the crap because they dont want to order they want to make the sale today. Diesel is approx a 8k option, barring rebates when you get down to brass tacks a diesel is going to be 5k more at least then a gas all things being equal.

phsycle

Adventurer
Maybe I'm not clear so it misunderstood in translation across the net. That being said I stand by statement. Poor negotiating skills or misunderstanding the dealers angle in the situation is what it sounds like. Dealers always pull the crap because they dont want to order they want to make the sale today. Diesel is approx a 8k option, barring rebates when you get down to brass tacks a diesel is going to be 5k more at least then a gas all things being equal.

I agree. Buy is cost for diesel, in most cases, is significant and definitely much more than $1k. But with all the issues and expensive repairs the diesels are having :sombrero:....maybe there will be more demand for gas, closing the gap.

smlobx

Wanderer
I really don't want to step into this pissing contest  But I'd like to provide a couple of points from my POV.

First I own a construction company and have about a dozen pieces in my fleet and most of those are diesels so I'm not scared of them...

When diesel went to $5/gal back in '07 I was filling up my company truck (F-350 diesel) about twice a week going from one job site to another. At about $130 per tank it was getting rediculous. I sat down and called my guy at the dealership and told him to find me the most economical small pick up made. He found a 2wd ranger with the 2.3l 4 cylinder engine that got about 25 mpg (compared to about 15 in the diesel). I figured that if I drove the Ranger about 50% of the time I can pay (that's right PAY) for the Ranger out of fuel saving alone in about 2 years. Well I still have that little Ranger and still bang around in it (and I also bought a new F-350 diesel as well).

The cost difference of a diesel in a full size truck is 7-8k BUT you get most if not all of that back when you sell it on the back in (I never trade in our truck. Most of the time one of my guys buy it off us). So the cost difference is negligible imho.

I also,have a Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel that gets about 30 mpg on the highway and that thing is a beast!
If, and only if, The Ranger comes out with a diesel will I consider selling both vehicles and getting the Ranger. With the miles I drive I need something that gets great mileage that I can take off-road or jobsite...

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I think Toyota guys are loyal enough. To me the Ranger is really about keeping GM from gaining advantage with the Colorado. They've gotten a lot of good press with that truck and so Ford can't really ignore it.

It also has a lot to do with the ever increasing bulk of full size trucks. They've gotten so big that they're creating their own market for the Ranger and Colorado - trucks you can park without a ground crew. So not so much about stealing sales from Toyota or GM as it is keeping would-be F150 buyers from looking that direction.

I think Toyota's been resting on its laurels for too long. Sooner or later the King always gets complacent and somebody knocks him off the throne. Toyota is overdue for that.

Speaking of loyalty, with as much Ford sells the F150, you'll find more Ford loyalists than Toyota. Guaranteed Toyota is not sitting easy right now. Ranger is definitely going after GM, but make no mistake---they are targeting to take a BIG chunk of the Tacoma sales as well. To me, it looks like they've got a great platform to do exactly that.

Toyota fan bois are rabid foaming at the mouth nutters...

..yet still ********** and moan over a bunch of little crap that goes wrong, and keep on telling themselves, well it is a Toyota it is still great! Seems to me that Toyota's quality control has been slipping for years, starting with the 1st gen Tacoma (frame rust fiasco). Each refresh is always let down, nothing earth shattering, the body bloat increase along with the price. And that is about. Payloads have gone down, electronic complexity has gone up, no improvements in fuel economy...the simple little trucks that put them on the map have all about disappeared, yet the Bro-Package...sells and sells.

It amazes me how well they are still selling, which I believe is mostly internet hype over reliability and internet mob mentality.

I keep on thinking the madness over them will slow down (resale is just plain stupid), they are expensive little trucks that can't haul much and get poor fuel economy... but the craziness doesn't seem to be slowing down. Maybe with more competition the tides will turn.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Toyota fan bois are rabid foaming at the mouth nutters...

..yet still ********** and moan over a bunch of little crap that goes wrong, and keep on telling themselves, well it is a Toyota it is still great!

Lol! Toyota has its fair share of fan bois (or is it boys?), no doubt about it. You head over to the LC subforum and even hint that you are cross-shopping a sacred LC against anything else (even another Toyota) and prepare to be fire-hosed with arrogant skepticism and embellished LC facts.

That said, for all of Toyota's current woes and predicaments (the main one being a lack of innovation, at least in their 4x4's) their vehicles are almost always ranked at the top of the pile when it comes to reliability. My current 4runner is out of warranty, and I have no qualms about owning it for another 5-7 years as such. I might consider owning a Jeep or 3/4 ton out of warranty, but for a lot of other vehicles...no thanks!

But my 4runner also is lucky to get 19 mpg on the highway, can only tow 5k lbs, and is mediocre at accelerating past big rig's. There is a tradeoff for Toyota's robust and reliable design. If vehicles like the Colorado and Ranger can attempt to match Toyota's reliability while still offering more efficient engine options, I'm willing to give them a look.

Clutch

<---Pass
Lol! Toyota has its fair share of fan bois (or is it boys?), no doubt about it. You head over to the LC subforum and even hint that you are cross-shopping a sacred LC against anything else (even another Toyota) and prepare to be fire-hosed with arrogant skepticism and embellished LC facts.

That said, for all of Toyota's current woes and predicaments (the main one being a lack of innovation, at least in their 4x4's) their vehicles are almost always ranked at the top of the pile when it comes to reliability. My current 4runner is out of warranty, and I have no qualms about owning it for another 5-7 years as such. I might consider owning a Jeep or 3/4 ton out of warranty, but for a lot of other vehicles...no thanks!

But my 4runner also is lucky to get 19 mpg on the highway, can only tow 5k lbs, and is mediocre at accelerating past big rig's. There is a tradeoff for Toyota's robust and reliable design. If vehicles like the Colorado and Ranger can attempt to match Toyota's reliability while still offering more efficient engine options, I'm willing to give them a look.

:D I believe it is indeed "bois" ;)

No way am I going over there! Hey, I like to razz people a bit, but even I know better! The 3rd gen Taco section on TW is even worse...that thing is holier than holier. Mang, I upset a bunch over there recently...and I wasn't even being all the ******** I can be.

Anyways...yeah they are reliable...even this Toyota fan boiiiiii, admits that they are a bit stale...just the same ol' crap being rehashed over and over.

Like most people I really don't need all that much truck...some light duty work and play and that is it, but if I am going to drop $30-35K on a new truck that can't do very much "truck stuff" I want some decent mileage. It isn't asking much with either, since the rest of the world gets nice little trucks that get reasonable mileage. Toyota will never give us a diesel, but at least do a hybrid.

Mine I average 17-18 mpg on the highway, and I drive 65 mph...that is deplorable for such a small truck.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
I am really hoping the Ranger will do well. I was watching some AU videos on the Ranger and seems like they've got good aftermarket support. I bet it will be a good performer.
But I am also liking the Tacoma. I was late to a meeting today. Had to drive about 60 miles. Drove 80MPH on the freeway almost the entire way. Checked the trip MPG---20.1mpg. That's not bad. Went the normal 70MPH on the way back. 23.4mpg. This is on a 4WD V6, with the Camry engine. :D
What I will be jealous of on the new Ranger, other than the engine, is the rear seats. Supposed to have 3-4" of more room!

Clutch

<---Pass
I am really hoping the Ranger will do well. I was watching some AU videos on the Ranger and seems like they've got good aftermarket support. I bet it will be a good performer.
But I am also liking the Tacoma. I was late to a meeting today. Had to drive about 60 miles. Drove 80MPH on the freeway almost the entire way. Checked the trip MPG---20.1mpg. That's not bad. Went the normal 70MPH on the way back. 23.4mpg. This is on a 4WD V6, with the Camry engine. :D
What I will be jealous of on the new Ranger, other than the engine, is the rear seats. Supposed to have 3-4" of more room!

That mileage isn't too terrible.

I don't need rear seats, but like having lockable in cab storage. Wonder if they'll do a rear seat delete like on the Tacoma SR? I know GM offers it, but only comes in the 2WD.

phsycle

Adventurer
That mileage isn't too terrible.

I don't need rear seats, but like having lockable in cab storage. Wonder if they'll do a rear seat delete like on the Tacoma SR? I know GM offers it, but only comes in the 2WD.

If they will offer an XL trim, I'm guessing it'll be like the F150 where rubber floors will be an option, and probably rear seats. If they've got flat floors like the F150, it will be a bonus as well.

I was talking to a sales guy at Toyota today. He is thinking the new Ranger will soften up pricing for the Tacoma when it comes out. I don't doubt it. Bet the VVTI's kicked in at Toyota R&D right about now.

Clutch

<---Pass
If they will offer an XL trim, I'm guessing it'll be like the F150 where rubber floors will be an option, and probably rear seats. If they've got flat floors like the F150, it will be a bonus as well.

I was talking to a sales guy at Toyota today. He is thinking the new Ranger will soften up pricing for the Tacoma when it comes out. I don't doubt it. Bet the VVTI's kicked in at Toyota R&D right about now.

*thumbs up*

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
I swear jane you have the most argumentative personality of anyone on this forum. When I bought my truck last year, they wanted to put me in a 250 and yes, their price on the diesel on the lot was within $1000 of the gas that they'd have to order.

not sure where you're located, but thats not the case here in the midwest. our local dealers stock gas F250s and 350's (just a couple) and they're all $10k cheaper than the diesel ones of the same trim level.

phsycle

Adventurer
This speaks to me. Steel wheels. Black cladding. FX4 pkg. In Ingot silver, please.

2019-ford-ranger-crew-xl.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94