Stolen Camper Van - Ford Okanagan

kevman

Observer
Our van was stolen from our back yard last night.

Stolen From Calgary, AB

If you live in or around Southern Alberta please keep your eyes open and call the cops if you spot it. Distinguishing feature would be the large mud tires with black wheels.

OoJGCiu.jpg

v06czXR.jpg

The power of the internet is a beautiful thing.

KYC

Adventurer
How the hell did they take that from your yard?

Seems like something that has to be planned.

You should put a posting on the rv for sale in your area asap to report if someone has seen it around town. When I was shopping for a van/camper I would pay extra attention to these types of vehicles around me.

kevman

Observer
Well that was an emotional roller coaster but we got the van back!!!

I posted it to Facebook and through a bunch of re-shares it was located. Turns out they had parked it behind an apartment that a friend of a friend of a friend lived in. I staked out waiting for the police and it's now back home safely. They got in by punching the door lock and using a screwdriver in the ignition. I had no idea it was that easy. Lesson learnt!

Damage appears to be minimal and isolated to the locks. I will know more when it isn't dark out and I have a chance to look over things.

Now, how to protect it better in the future? I'm already planning a fuel cut off switch and/or a club as visual deterrent but how do you make it harder to punch the locks? It has recently occurred to me that while you're on the road with a bunch of possessions, having a lock that can be punched in 15 seconds isn't very secure...

Sisyphus

Adventurer
A cheaper way for longterm storage is just to remove the starter/fuel relay. Has worked great for me, but would get tiring if you drive it often.

steering wheel locks/clubs are great physical deterants for the lazy thief, but they can be easily broken in seconds (just check out youtube).

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
I'm very glad you found your van back!

Now, how to protect it better in the future? I'm already planning a fuel cut off switch and/or a club as visual deterrent but how do you make it harder to punch the locks? It has recently occurred to me that while you're on the road with a bunch of possessions, having a lock that can be punched in 15 seconds isn't very secure...

When upgrading the radio I had the shop put a cut-off switch (a toggle switch) for the starter. For some reason, insurance companies want them to put in electronic anti-starters so I had to insist. But I find the old switches are much easier and better.

For the lock, I'm going to install a Jimmi Jammer.

I also felt that a smashed window was a risk so I installed llumar security film.

I can show you a fuse you can pull or replace with a blown one, the vehicle will crank but not start.
PM or text me. 403 966 087zero

kevman

Observer
I'm very glad you found your van back!

When upgrading the radio I had the shop put a cut-off switch (a toggle switch) for the starter. For some reason, insurance companies want them to put in electronic anti-starters so I had to insist. But I find the old switches are much easier and better.

For the lock, I'm going to install a Jimmi Jammer.

I also felt that a smashed window was a risk so I installed llumar security film.

Some sort of disconnect switch is definitely in my future.

I looked into Jimmi Jammers last night while waiting for the cops. Problem is in my case they didn't pop the lock out but rather punch the whole cylinder in damaging the door in the process. They mention exterior reinforcing plates on their website so I've emailed them for more information.

IMG_20180115_200008944.jpg
(The lock cylinder is still in the door just dangling around)

Last edited:

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Please share the response from Jimmi Jammers once you get it!

It's weird... Almost 20 years ago, a guy tried to steal my '93 Safari AWD in broad daylight in a Wal-Mart parking lot (the guy was in the van when I got to it). About the same year or so, somebody tried to steal my parent's '91 Astro Van in their drive-way at night.

Those were the only vehicles robbers ever tried to rob from our family. You'd think robbers would be looking for "cooler" vehicles than old mini-vans... :confused:

BTW, for both vehicles it was screwdriver in the key hole and since they both had anti-starters, they hadn't succeeded.

kevman

Observer
Does anyone know if it's possible to retrofit a transponder key system from the 08+ E-Series on an older model? Since I have to replace the ignition cylinder anyway I figured it might be worth looking into.

We just started insulating and doing an interior renovation to the van. I can't even imagine what it would feel like to have your van stolen after you've invested hundreds of hours into a build. We're definitely going to do all that we can to ensure it doesn't happen again.

kevman

Observer
Please share the response from Jimmi Jammers once you get it!

It's weird... Almost 20 years ago, a guy tried to steal my '93 Safari AWD in broad daylight in a Wal-Mart parking lot (the guy was in the van when I got to it). About the same year or so, somebody tried to steal my parent's '91 Astro Van in their drive-way at night.

Those were the only vehicles robbers ever tried to rob from our family. You'd think robbers would be looking for "cooler" vehicles than old mini-vans... :confused:

BTW, for both vehicles it was screwdriver in the key hole and since they both had anti-starters, they hadn't succeeded.

I did hear back from them. It's essentially a set of plates that screw through the door skin to sandwich the lock. To be honest, it's not as clean looking as I had hoped. I think it would be possible to try and fabricate something yourself that supports the lock from the inside. That said, the best theft deterrent is a visible theft deterrent. Anything that makes your vehicle look harder to steal than the vehicle beside it is your best bet. Similar to door sandwich plates on your home, the Jimmi Jammer outside plates would make it look harder to pop the lock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles