RRC Ignition Coil Specs

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Does anyone know the correct resistance for the coil in a 1988 RRC?

I'd like to check mine with my multimeter.

Thanks!

Ray

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Does anyone know the correct resistance for the coil in a 1988 RRC?

I'd like to check mine with my multimeter.

Thanks!

Ray

I believe the resistance is .75 OHMS. Here are the pages from the factory manual:

Attachments

• Range-Rover-Maunual-Electrics.pdf
    184 KB · Views: 13
  • Range-Rover-Maunual-Electrics 2.pdf
    190.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Range-Rover-Maunual-Electrics 3.pdf
    82.8 KB · Views: 7

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Super helpful thanks. I was able to confirm my coil resistance is within spec (primary and secondary) and eventually traced the problem to a poor connection at the coil. New connectors and she's good to go.

One thing I noticed when working on the truck is that it is very sensitive to running with the air-filter canister removed. After multiple startups with the filter can removed (for easier coil access) it started to run noticeably rough. Eventually the EFI light came on. Once I reinstalled the can it ran smoothly again. And by disconnecting the battery the EFI light went out too.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Super helpful thanks. I was able to confirm my coil resistance is within spec (primary and secondary) and eventually traced the problem to a poor connection at the coil. New connectors and she's good to go.

One thing I noticed when working on the truck is that it is very sensitive to running with the air-filter canister removed. After multiple startups with the filter can removed (for easier coil access) it started to run noticeably rough. Eventually the EFI light came on. Once I reinstalled the can it ran smoothly again. And by disconnecting the battery the EFI light went out too.

I've found that they are very sensitive to having a stock coil as well. I converted one of my to a Pertronix coil, which was supposed to work with it, and it ran really rough. Put the stock coil back on and smooth. I tried an MSD coil on another and that was the same issue.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Yes it actually appears to be running a 30 year old Bosch coil but I picked up a proper Lucas as a spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Yes it actually appears to be running a 30 year old Bosch coil but I picked up a proper Lucas as a spare.

If you wouldn't mind, please measure the primary resistance on the Bosch and Lucas coils when disconnected. I'd be interested to know the figures.

Thanks,

David

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I don’t have the figures with me but when I checked them they were nearly identical.

azarmadillo

Adventurer
I don’t have the figures with me but when I checked them they were nearly identical.

Install an MSD Blaster 2 coil and you'll never be happier. Stock coils aren't great. You'll have a smoother engine running the MSD Blaster 2. I've been running one for the past 16 years and I'm up to 250,000+ miles on my 1991 RRC Hunter.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I'm also looking at changing to an aftermarket rotor in the distributor. Maybe just a full aftermarket ignition system. It seems like Lucas has outsourced their manufacturing to a new company, and the rotors are now arcing all over the place, right out of the box. 10 new Lucas rotors bought as a batch, every one of them with the same problem...

Same problem with blue-box versions.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I'm also looking at changing to an aftermarket rotor in the distributor. Maybe just a full aftermarket ignition system. It seems like Lucas has outsourced their manufacturing to a new company, and the rotors are now arcing all over the place, right out of the box. 10 new Lucas rotors bought as a batch, every one of them with the same problem...

Same problem with blue-box versions.

I had a Pertronix for a while and the rotor wore out in less than 5K miles. Stopped dead in the middle of a trip. We eventually measured the electrode clearance and found that it had worn to the point where it didn't contact the cap. I have little faith in Pertronix now. If I were to go with aftermarket, I would try a Mallory. Or, just go Megasquirt. There are a lot of nice plug and play kits in the UK now.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Ive been looking at Megasquirt, looks like it could be a great system but the website is terrible. Like some rambling blog from the 80s. Hard to figure out what you get and how it all works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles