2001 GMC 2500 HD Flatbed Camper Build

Bojak

Adventurer
This was an awesome build to follow. Sounds like its going to be pretty cool moving forward. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

SoTxAg06

Followed Krazytoy’s original build. Looking forward to seeing how this truck turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hobbsrt

hope to have some pics at the end of this week. The all aluminum flatbed is being tacked together now and then we'll put it on the frame and finish it up just enough to go get the FWC Grandy Flatbed camper and then we can fabricate around it for storage, etc. Had a great base to work with thanks to Jason.

Bojak

Adventurer
Very interested in the flatbed conversion, I've been considering one myself. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Are buying or building the flatbed?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Flhtruss

Observer
Hobbsrt I think your gunna really like the camper, looking forward to seeing it mounted.
Trucks, looking good. Do you like the 37's better than the 40's?
Russ

hobbsrt

So, I have a local hotrod/rock crawler builder that I am using - Chris Rose at Anvil Rod and Custom. I thought he had the perfect set of skills and has been awesome. I think he is enjoying the build and maybe interested in others when he is done with this one. Don't bug him yet though I want him focused on this :)The 37's are way better, mainly because they don't rub and I have full turning radius. But they give me enough room for everything I want to do and ride better. Have to get the speedo recalibrated. Here are a couple of pics of the progress of the flatbed. I also added a K&N filter and it really is noticeable. 20180217_132206_resized.jpg20180413_101406.jpg20180413_101421.jpg

Watt maker

What an awesome build! Can't wait to see how this turns out! I'm going to have to check out the original build as well.

Flhtruss

Observer
Evening hobbsrt
That will be really something if the builder ends up doing more of same for others. I kinda felt you would say that about the 37’s but wasn’t positive. 40 r lg.
About how much higher will the deck be vs a truck bed? Do you have a ballpark on finished weight? Do you think that you have to adjust center of gravity because of a different deck height.
Sorry for all the questions but you turned on the Grey matter:)

Russ

hobbsrt

We will mount the flatbed to the frame with 8 bolts and bushings. The flatbed should only be a couple inches higher than the original bed. We used 2x6 x1/4 aluminum for the main parts of the frame and then are stiffening it up a bit with some 2x's and 1x's (in the pics) so that should be super strong. What really drove the height of the flatbed is to have a 3" gap between the camper overhang (bed) and top of the cab roof to allow for some twisting. 4WC says you need 2" and other people have up to 5" which seems like overkill.

No idea on finished weight, we will weigh it when we are done so we can make sure we have the suspension set up properly. The truck is a 2500 HD so it should handle the load just fine. I am putting in a rear sway bar to help the load and roll and the air bags will help too. We replaced the Firestone airbags with Super Slammers for more travel and better quality. The camper only weighs 1425 lbs (dry) so I think the center of gravity will be fine with the storage we are going to build on the sides/underneath of the flatbed. Along with the spare being under, we are also mounting air compressors, tank and aux fuel tank under the flatbed so all of that weight down low should really help balance it out.

Flhtruss

Observer
Truck build time. Woohoop Whoop. I really like flat beds but don't like the added deck height 2 is low compared to some, that's good. With out a doubt the frame looks tough. I agree with with you on cab over height I understand flame flex but with suspension flexing and keeping the rubber on the ground you will most definitely stop the unsprung weight from adding to frame flex. Are you going to do test runs w/o putting a sway bar on the rear. Not saying you don't need one, just thinking you might ride better than you think, and having one will effect you articulation. Reallike this build thread , so thanks for taking the time to share wit the Internet world.

Russ

hobbsrt

Russ, we will sort the suspension out after we have everything together and weigh it. I agree the sway bar may limit some articulation so we will see if its really needed, but I do have it and will use it for the time being until we do get everything sorted out.

Here is the flatbed all welded up and upside down. We will mount it over the next couple days, wire it up and install the top sheet of aluminium and then should be good to go get the camper and then come back to finish everything else up - side/under storage, slide out drawer, bumpers, winch, fender flares, final wiring, etc.

IMG_20180417_113411001002.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles